• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

modding the apex air box

F
Nov 27, 2007
hey has anyone done their own modding on the Apex air box, If so what did you do to it and have you noticed a difference with it?

RX-1MT

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Butte Montana
I tried a ram air lid got it off ebay was not to impressed with that went back to the stock lid, this year I cut two 2" flo rites in each side of the air box should pull in some cold air through the side panel vents. The ram air lids seem to give more noise than peformance imo

A

Aussie Niko

Yep, did it to mine. I cut a section underneath out then added prefilter and alloy mesh to it. Works well with the pc3/exhaust and clutch mods.

Will post a pic as soon as the battery charged up on the camera.

My issue with it now the weight of it, that air box is heavy!! I may look at making my own.

mud99

Premium Member
Oct 13, 2009
Truckee, CA
Niko,
Let me know what you come up with on the airbox, would like to drop the weight as well.

There's a guy on ty4stroke who used a rubbermaid bread box to make his own intake, but I don't like that solution, seems poor on airflow and durability.

Also, if it allows access to the battery, you could drop the extra jumper wiring which runs to the right side of the sled. It would probably save a pound, that wire is fairly thick.

In my case i'm going to put a connector on the battery for trickle charging, so access to the battery would be a nice plus. It's easier to take off the hood than the side panel.

BTW, if you're in tahoe this year we should go riding.

-Mark

A

Aussie Niko

Looks like I'll be making a carbon fibre copy of the air box. Might take a little time to set it up as the mold could be tricky but I'll give It a try :beer;
Mark, I'm back over to tahoe around late nov so a ride for sure : )
I'm living in the Northstar ski village again.

niko.

Premium Features