• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mount a fan on a turbo intercooler???

H

hatchers

Nov 26, 2007
North Utah
www.snowestonline.com
Has anyone thought of or tested the simple idea of mounting a relatively thin 12VDC fan to the backside of a typical intercooler? Sounds like a simple and very effective idea. This is nothing unlike the way a radiator works.....you force more air to pass through the exchanger

A
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City, SD
I'm planning on doing it to mine this year, I'm a little concerned with the stator keeping up though with an electric oil pump and fuel pump also running off of the stator. I'll haveto see how it goes

S

Snowstar

Aug 22, 2006
Ogden Ut.
It would probably work good on a no hood day but with a hood on it would just circulate hot air back over it.

C

carbondaddy

Nov 26, 2007
Revy
I picked up a 10" fan on ebay from a company called white performance for less than $20.00. It fits my intercooler perfect and is about 2.5" deep. Not sure what it draws for power yet, but I'm sure it is minimal. I'll hook it up to a thermostat so it will come on when the intake air is about 50 or 60 degrees. It can push or pull.

H

hatchers

Nov 26, 2007
North Utah
www.snowestonline.com
I'm planning on doing it to mine this year, I'm a little concerned with the stator keeping up though with an electric oil pump and fuel pump also running off of the stator. I'll haveto see how it goes

The guy i bought the sled from thought it best to disconect the head lights as he found the 12VDC droped to 11.2ish VDC.....this is a concern

It would probably work good on a no hood day but with a hood on it would just circulate hot air back over it.

good point, maybe its best to mount the fan somewhere it can only push outside air in the engine bay and push hot air out, positive vent, but it would be a pickle to never have the fan intake blocked, this would draw more current and maybe fry the thing....i need to see how a skidoo 550 fan works, never looked at one, but its cooling, so something has to work in a over the hood day

H

HYFLYR

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 21, 2007
Alaska
I know cpr turbos are using them on their kits for the apex, mounted underneath the intercooler. I heard people saying they really helped but as to any type of actual intake temp testing i havent heard. just cut a hole in the hood and vent the hell out of it, it will be fine, lol.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
if your gonna turbo and take your lights out, might as well just make a mesh hood, that should allow you plenty of cold air to work with

C

CBX

Jan 21, 2008
Fan

Well Hatchers, looks like you took my recomendation when i talked to you on the phone last.:D

I know the CPR fan works trick. Its on a 4 stroke sled with a battery though. I'm sure you could get an electrical shop out there to get your sled to pump out more voltage............ Or heck you should be able to do it, I thought you were an electrical engineer....:D:beer; just kidding bud. My experience around fans ( the one in the simons cpr apex seems very similar to a cooling fan on the Knotter mechanism of a hay bailer) is that it does need good voltage. I installed one on a Telehandler loader one time after relocationg the trans cooler outboard of the engine bay. It also had an alternator that wouldn't push 13.9 v until it got reved up to around 1100 rpm. battery would be around 11.7-12.4, and then fan really sped up, almost seemed like 1/3 to half more once the alternator woke up and started pushing 13.9.

Sounds like OVS and Boondocker are doing fans now. Its a great idea i think. Even if your pulling hot under hood air, its still a big improvement. When you compress air it heats up. sometimes alot more than you'd think. I'm sure someone around here knows how much it heats up. From what i remember looking at boost chart a few years ago, once you get up around 10-15 lbs it gets quite hot. Every degree of increase in intake temp will increase exhaust temp equally.

P
Nov 26, 2007
Hatchers,
I've got a spail fan that we have used on M8's and M1000's it fits under the intercooler and draws the air thru the intercooler or you can push the air up and put a vent in the bulkhead right under the cooler. You can come by and take a look at the fans anytime. I 'll try to post a pic. Now after all that, I still think there is a power problem running any of the fans on a 2-stroke espescially if you have put a higher output fuel pump in the sled which I believe you have. All of the fans we have tested have caused the fuel pressure to misbehave. Maybe OVS has found the right fan but I haven't seen it yet. Good luck and call me if you want to look at the fan. Matt.

pic 018 (Small).jpg pic 019 (Small).jpg

H

hatchers

Nov 26, 2007
North Utah
www.snowestonline.com
Some great info in this thread, but i dont want a plug and play kit from someone, id rather figure it out myself and learn somin:beer;, its time to learn more as this is my first turbo sled and i enjoy working on my toys myself....or all my toys will go to Powerhouse when my work wont allow any tool time in the shop

When you compress air it heats up. sometimes alot more than you'd think. I'm sure someone around here knows how much it heats up

Im sure i have an ideaer;):beer;....in my small mind, its best i measure input and output temps vs. looking at some chart the turbo Manufacture has, i want to know real world numbers not what a cubicle engineer dreamed up.....thats why i work in the feild not a office and lick stamps or whatever the bootlicker engineers do:eek:;):beer;

Hatchers,
I've got a spail fan that we have used on M8's and M1000's it fits under the intercooler and draws the air thru the intercooler or you can push the air up and put a vent in the bulkhead right under the cooler. You can come by and take a look at the fans anytime. I 'll try to post a pic. Now after all that, I still think there is a power problem running any of the fans on a 2-stroke espescially if you have put a higher output fuel pump in the sled which I believe you have. All of the fans we have tested have caused the fuel pressure to misbehave. Maybe OVS has found the right fan but I haven't seen it yet. Good luck and call me if you want to look at the fan. Matt.

bought Travis's M8 that i thought you guys put together. I have a few electronic parts in the shop and a bread board, ill figure something out. All i need to do is induce more current with a inductor or loop it with a cap. I'll start with measureing overall current load and current drops and voltage drops when the throttle flipper is pushed in and out. You guys open on friday? Are you the guy that Matt said he did a camo wrap for, the fella with Summit Signs, i ride with him the most of anyone....but he dont do anything in the summer, the wife has his little arse on lock down:mad:

if your gonna turbo and take your lights out, might as well just make a mesh hood, that should allow you plenty of cold air to work with

im a tree hugger that cant get plastics to last a single season, or bumpers, or tracks...ect

Last edited:
Premium Features