• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

06 900 RMK, grinding noise in reverse, no power

C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
I have a huge head ache over this. My 900 RMK has SLP intake, pipe, can, head, a ton of vents, V-force 3 Reads, and a few other things. When i put the sled in reverse it makes a terrible grinding noise and has absolutely no power to reverse. I notice this a few times and didn't think much of it. I thought it was just ice build up after riding through some open water when i hade to cross a crick.

Well i parked on top of a bridge and i was going to jump off. Forgetting about the grinding problem, i pressed the magical yellow button and hit the throttle and nothing. No power in reverse at all and it grinded really bad. So i pressed the yellow button again and when i gassed the sled to jump off the bridge it grinded again and nothing. So i pulled the panels off and let it cool down. After sitting there for 30 min i started it again and it ran amazing. When i got home the sled went into reverse fine and ran great!

So i am up high in the mountains today and my friend gets stuck right behind me. To turn my sled around in the narrow road i would need to ride a long ways so i turned side ways, put it in reverse and it grinded again. so i hit the kill switch and started it again with no grinding??????????????????????????????????????????

WTF?

anyone have any ideas?

Also i have the engine code SERuCE coming up.

C

Clarke673

Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
Under me....lol its coming from the drive train and i don't want to mess anything up playing with it, but i also don't want to drive 55 miles to my dealer mechanic through yellowstone park driving 45 mph just to have it be something stupid. My thought is that the spring that engages the clutch in reverse isn't catching or i could have a broken spring. The original owner of the sled told me that those could be it.

To me, it almost sounds like something is messed up with the drive chain and or sprockets???

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Does the noise happen when the sled is moving or standing still in reverse..

If it is making the noise before the sled moves, its probably in the primary clutch... maybe the weights hitting the towers.

If it is when it is moving... but doesnt do it in fwd... probably the secondary spring... I'm a firm believer in replacing the springs every fall (they are only like $20)...

If it does it all of the time, only when moving ... gearcase...

Have you checked the chain tension recently?

When you pull the chaincase dipstick, does it have heavy metal shavings stuck to the tip (minor "fuz" is allowable)?

When was the last time the primary and secondary springs were replaced?

B

BIGGDAWG

Jul 6, 2001
Waverly, Iowa
mine did something similar and it was a combination of loose chain in chaincase and loose track tension. i would check both of those.

C

Clarke673

Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
I have no idea. I bought the sled on Friday. Later to day i am going to cal up our dealer and see what he thinks. I am going to be working on it tonight so I can check all of that.

It makes the noise once i hit the throttle but like i said, some times it doesn't do it and once it did it trying to go forward right after it did it in reverse.

KSH

Steering Wheel Holder
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Mar 22, 2005
Larkspur, CO
The ecu has a built in service meter for the sled based on hours. You can adjust the hours between services using the mode button on the handle bars.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I have no idea. I bought the sled on Friday. Later to day i am going to cal up our dealer and see what he thinks. I am going to be working on it tonight so I can check all of that.

It makes the noise once i hit the throttle but like i said, some times it doesn't do it and once it did it trying to go forward right after it did it in reverse.

To check the secondary spring takes no special tools...

Remove the belt.

Remove the 1/2" head bolt holding on the secondary clutch and be carefull not to drop the spacer(s) inside (use the parking brake to hold the shaft in place for the bolt removal)

Pull the clutch off of the shaft

On the back of the secondary, there are 8 torx head bolts hoding on the helix Remove those and with a twisting motion, pull the helix off...

Check to see that everything is ok and the spring is not broken.

As far as the chain goes... not a bad Idea to remove the can, Drain the chaincase of oil, and remove the cover... this will give you a good idea of what is going on inside of there and also give you a visual indication of the chain tension and if anything is broken. The cover has a rubber gasket in it that is reueable.

Track tension on the 900 is pretty tight... 10 lb weight on the track and only 1" of droop. Looser and it WILL ratchet.

track1.jpg

track2.jpg

track3.jpg

Last edited:
P
Nov 27, 2007
your secondary is not going all the way closed and when you go into reverse it does not lock into the grooves that keep the clutch from opening up, had the same thing with my 06-900 took the clutch apart cleaned it but will still do it every once and A while, make sure you give your sled A little burp in forward before you go into reverse might help?

sounds like the chain is skipping but its the secondary clutch

Premium Features