• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

? on shovel in the pack...

M
Nov 29, 2007
WI/MN/WY
I like the idea of carrying the shovel in the pack and all, but I'm not gonna lie I occasionally find myself over the handle bars landing on my back. :eek: Wouldn't the blade and handle of the shovel hurt your back when you land? Anybody willing to attest or tell me otherwise?

B

BIGGDAWG

Jul 6, 2001
Waverly, Iowa
i have the polaris back pack and the handle goes on the side. i have taken several spills and have had no problems with the handle getting me, it usually is a tree :D

A

AkHockey10

Feb 9, 2006
Anchorage, Ak
I wear an HMK pack.

I carry my shovel blade on my back, with a probe, and a shovel handle on the pack sides vertical. No worries! i crash once every ride and haven't lost anything and hurt anything of myself! :D and yes, I do sometimes for get i am wearing it. I was too skeptical about getting hurt, when i first started wearing it, but, i don't fear it anymore. :)

Bagger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
South Central WA
Ditto

I have TNAGears Storm pack. The blade is in a pocket. Between the blade pocket and my back are two more pockets/gear. The handle straps (very firmly) on the side.
I think I've wrecked just about everyway you can (ok, I've never hit a horse like that poor guy last year) and no problems.
I sometimes also carry a shovel on my sled. It quick detatches, and it's easier to get to when I don't have several buddies to execute the "Pull/Lift/Cuss" manuver. Bagger

C
Nov 27, 2007
Selah WA.
i have the orthovox, shovel , probe, ect the shovel is in the outer most layer of the pack so the tolit paper and extra gloves and goggles are between me and the hard stuff and i usually land in the snow that that takes a bit of the impact to not to mention my coat mid and base layering, damn that thing must be heavy, but i really dont notice it either, wouldnt be without it

V
Nov 27, 2007
alaska
I just ordered the TNA lightning pack. its small and compact. handle goes on the outside and the blade portion goes in its own pocket. so there should be no problem when i dump it.

I thought the same thing about people carrying their shovel with the handle sticking up out of their bag so i thought this would be a sweet bag. its big enough to fit necessities but will also keep me from carrying crap i dont need.

http://www.tnagear.com/pages/the_lightning_pack.htm

CatWoman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
NW Montana
If you have a good sledding backpack, there will be plenty of padding on your back. My shovel, probe, handle, and other things....all are inside my pack (and in the compartment closest to my back). I *may* come off my sled from time to time, and it's never hurt (ok, so when I fell in my rotating track and busted up my leg, that DID hurt). :eek:

Most sled backpacks come with that padding, and it really isn't an issue. :)

A

Adrenaline Revolution

Nov 17, 2002
In the foothills of the Cascades
I also have the HMK pack and the padding against your back is comfortable and protects your body from the contents of your pack.

I usually pull a "Headlight check" at least once a year, landing on my back in front of the sled with no problems with the pack at all.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I ended up with a Polaris pack two years ago and really like how it works for me. I only had two gripes with the pack. The probe mounted on one side but only cupped the bottom of the probe pack and not both ends. I did come off the sled and have the probe slide up and out of the sleeve so I made a cap to buckle on the top to keep it in. The other was the threading of the strap to keep the shovel blade in the exterior pouch. I tried it without strapping it in and the blade ended up coming out from me bumping the seat hump too many times. I reworked it so I have a quick buckle on the strap now so I can get the shovel in or out with my gloves still on.

As for the guys that don't want to pack all the "extra" stuff that you don't really need. I have an exercise for you on your next ride. Stop somewhere, step off your sled and walk away from it. Now picture that you are in the backcountry where the riding is good and you dumped your sled down a ravine during a good pull or ran out of gas, spare fuel jug sprung a leak sometime back and its empty, its late in the day and you have little help to get your butt or your sled out. The thought goes through your mind that you will have to spend the night out until help arrives or that you can walk out. I am making the assumption you are riding alone, but do not recommend this.

Now, take off your backpack and start rummaging through the various pockets to see what you have for shelter, heat, food/water, and dry clothes to keep you occupied for the night. Now tell me how much "extra" stuff you have in your backpack?

I won't go into details on what I carry in my pack but I know it will hold me over a night or two. I supplement extra goodies in my sled but I don't expect to rely on it if the time comes.

For simplicity sake, you may want to practice this exercise in the garage so you can equip your pack before getting out on the snow.

VB

SnowBigDeal

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Dec 17, 2003
Mt. Pleasant, UT
www.snowbigdeal.com
Although I'll never admit it in front of my kids, I have been bucked off my sled several times & landed on my back. Never had a problem with the shovel & handle in the pack hurting my back, just my pride.

S

Superjag

Jan 30, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
A guy I know went over the bars with his shovel in his pack and it the shovel blade severed his spinal column between the c-6 and c-7 vetrebrae. He is now paralyzed from the crotch down.

Ok, I totally made that sh*t up.

I go over the bars like a dozen times a year, Seriously, like 12 times. Never been injured by the shovel. Mostly because (like somebody already said) you have all your gear in the pack between you and the shovel.

W
Nov 26, 2007
Dayton Wyoming
pack

I have a Fly Racing pack. The shovel handle is off to the side and the blade on the very back. I carry extra gloves and such in the pack. Last year I had my camera in the pack when I hit a rock and went over the bars, bounced of the hood (My back) and into the snow. I was lucky that the rock stopped my sled so it did not run me over. After I collected my thoughts I checked my pack, didn’t even hurt the camera. I was fine, no bruises or anything. My sled however had a broken trailing arm, bent radius arms, and a bent tunnel. The snow I landed in was pretty forgiving. I am sure if I landed on a rock like the one I hit with the sled, it would have been a different outcome.

T

trlkidd

Dec 3, 2007
Seattle
Tunnel bag... If you lose your sled you got bigger problems. What you gonna do? Eat your shovel? Dont ride alone.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Also, there are many times I get off the sled to walk over and help someone out. I hate looking back at the sled wishing I had grabbed my folding saw or my shovel. Not to worry, it is on my back and easy to access.

VB

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
My packs have the shovel on the back side, so lots of cusion. I went over the bars on Sat. It was a slow one, over the bars, on the hood, and finally in the snow.:rolleyes:

tomx

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Bellevue, WA
www.youtube.com
I gotta Mammut pack, shovel slides right up the back into a pocket, handle on the side. I've Bailed on it in numorious occassions and never noticed. Worst that happened was I flattened my sandwich once.

kamaskid

Lifetime Membership
May 21, 2002
Kamas, Utah
Tunnel bag... If you lose your sled you got bigger problems. What you gonna do? Eat your shovel? Dont ride alone.

I would feel really like bad if there was an avalanche where you and your sled got seperated and you couldn't dig your buddy out because your shovel in on your sled burried down in the trees somewhere. (IT DOES HAPPEN) There is a reason packs are made to carry shovels.

R
Sep 1, 2001
Maple Grove, MN
I like the idea of carrying the shovel in the pack and all, but I'm not gonna lie I occasionally find myself over the handle bars landing on my back. :eek: Wouldn't the blade and handle of the shovel hurt your back when you land? Anybody willing to attest or tell me otherwise?

I haven't had that problem. In my pack the shovel and the handle is all covered up and it's the furthest thing from my back, in other words it's in the most outer pocket, the inner pockets of the pack carry all the soft stuff.

Premium Features