• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Gallatin National Forest, MT Closures

Dec 5, 2007
Bozeman, Mt
For all you MT riders out there, the new winter use map is out. As you may already know, they are trying to close down Hyalite, Rock Creek, and a bunch of other areas. Well they are still in court over the issue, which means that they can not legally close these areas until they are out of court. However, the USFS has closed the areas on the map. I asked how they could do this, and they said that they are trying to get people used to the idea. When I asked how much the fine would be for riding in these closed areas, they said that they could not legally give me a ticket because the areas are not legally closed, they are just closed on the map. The Gallatin National Supervisor's office number is 406-587-6701 if you were wanting to ask additional questions. Happy riding!!

I agree that this change is very negative for motorized recreation and snowmobilers in particular. We sent out a SAWS alert a couple years ago on the proposed closures encouraging snowmobilers to write letters opposing the recommended closures. Most of the proposed closures were still contained in the final plan and in the Record Of Decision (ROD) signed by the Forest Supervisor.

And although the ROD has been appealed by many motorized organizations, I would be very surprised if the Forest service would not be able to enforce the closure outlined in the ROD. But if that is what they said, OK. It just surprises me.

The maps should be available on the Gallatin National Forest Website.

VTMTcowboy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Dang, my buddy rides out at Hyalite, and that is going to be me next winter too. Hopefully things hold up. A National Forest is supposed to be open for the public in the forms of multiple use. Thats what Teddy Roosevelt wanted, why all of a sudden change things now. Some of this crap is really getting annoying.

Premium Features