• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Engine Removal Time Estimate?

03RMK800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kremmling, Colorado
I have a 2010 XP 800R and am thinking of pulling the engine.
I see quite a few people have pulled their XP engines, and I saw the threads the hood pieces, the plug that needs the wire removed, and oil cable circlips.

What I didn't see is how long its taking people to pull an engine. Please someone who is not a mechanic every day (me) know what I am looking at in terms of time.

Thanks!!!!

"I have seen men suffer glandular malfunctions." Rango the movie...

M
Jun 3, 2010
Hmmm.......

It's hard to say. A mechanic that does this every day could do it in less than an hour including smoke breaks.

For the "week-end" warrior mechanic, depending on mechanical abilities, I would think 2.5 hours is reasonable. Don't let the time factor bother you. Take your time. I take a digital camera to the barn with me, snapping pics before I rip stuff apart. It saves a lot of headaches upon reassembly.

Good luck

F

frog

Feb 16, 2009
MN
Remove the top end first, it will help tremendously with gaining access to the DPMhoses, oil lines, wiring etc. If you do it this way a couple of hours for removal is what it will take and no major frame/body work will need to be removed. You can leave the jackshaft bearing support in just remove the secondary/jackshaft and you will be good to go. Leave y-pipe on, remove ex. valve assm, carbs and inatke boots and the cyls will come right out accessing all the hard to reach parts. Remove recoil and primary and the bottom end should come right out.

revx827

Lifetime Membership
Jun 27, 2009
floatingqrs.com
Just pulled mine out friday nite. 45 minutes.
Personally I prefer to remove the bearing support. Only takes a few minutes but then you don't have to work around it.
I also like to remove the topend seperate from the bottom.

I may have done this once or twice... (this month)

Last edited:

03RMK800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kremmling, Colorado
Thanks-- The comments open up a lot of options for me, including doing it piecemeal, which might best accomplish what I need -- it might be enough to get the head off.

S

Scandianels

Feb 9, 2008
Minnesota
Lots of photos

I know first hand that you'll need lot's of good photos for the hoses, cables, etc.

I am putting mine back in right now and scratched my head more than once trying to route hoses and cables.

(I think it comes out wayyyyy faster than it goes back in)

Good luck!

I

IQRIDR

Nov 27, 2007
Mountains, Alaska
I wanted to add that one of the most common things I hear from a guy putting his XP back together, when they call the shop- is that they can't remember which ports on the back of the case the 3 hoses go to. 1 is easy to tell from the length of the hose, the other 2 could go either way. So that is something to remember also for those looking to do this job.

A

airmanf

Nov 30, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
Taking it out isn't too big of a job. Putting it back in for the first time can get tricky. Like the others said, take plenty of pictures. The first time you do it I would suggest either taking the carbs out completely or taking it out in two pieces. Be quick to plug the oil supply line with a 1/4 inch socket extension and the mess will be minimal. Good luck.

noxis

Premium Member
Sep 21, 2009
engine removal

when i do mine i take seceondary brace off and y pipe and pull whole engine with the hoses from the case and the electrics on the right still hooked to the motor and then label them with scotch tape after i get the motor out makes it easy to hook them back up and instal is a snap nothing to worry about super easy job to do

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
when i do mine i take seceondary brace off and y pipe and pull whole engine with the hoses from the case and the electrics on the right still hooked to the motor and then label them with scotch tape after i get the motor out makes it easy to hook them back up and instal is a snap nothing to worry about super easy job to do

X2...I also leave the oil cable hooked up to the pump.

I

i'llDooit

Nov 27, 2007
Duvall washington
if ur waranty is up^ then while ur that deep into motor,,,,,,Block off plate and premix:light:not hard to doo,, and easier the next time without the oil cable there.:face-icon-small-win

scratley

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Star Valley WY
Doing an 860 now. Going to go with oil delete. Do you have to run the little bottle for crank bearings like back on the HO motors?

T

trinitypowder

Nov 26, 2007
Some guys use a bottle while others use a tube with a vent on the end. As I said, you'll go thru a bit of oil intially, and then she'll quit.

Premium Features