• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What Camcorder to get???

W

wag13

Jun 22, 2008
Spearfish,SD
I've got a couple helmet cams that i do videos on, but its time to take it to the next level of filming for me. I'm not looking for anything Professional grade thats in the $2,000-$5,000 region. Just looking for something that's gonna give me a quality picture (zoomed in and out) for around $500. I would really like to hear if what you guys have, and what camcorder you think is gonna give me my best bang for my buck. Anything will help!

THANKS!

colorado_matt

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
COLORADO
I use a sony hdr-hc9. This is my 3rd season using it. I have been very happy with it. It records in 1080 hd and also takes very good pictures. It records to tape and has held up very well to all the adverse conditions winter brings to the table. I think when I bought it, the price for the camera was $600. www.camcorderinfo.com is where I got all of my information basing my decision to purchase that camera. Tons of great information.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
If you can spend upwards of $750 (newegg) look into the Panasonic 800 or 900 series. They use 3mos sensor which breaks up each color individually on its own sensor, which maximizes the image. It also can record 1080P at 60fps. Have to have a top notch computer with very good dedicated graphics card to view it though or it will skip. It says it can take 14mp still pics, but my pics don't look as good as a 14mp Camera.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
If you can spend upwards of $750 (newegg) look into the Panasonic 800 or 900 series. They use 3mos sensor which breaks up each color individually on its own sensor, which maximizes the image. It also can record 1080P at 60fps. Have to have a top notch computer with very good dedicated graphics card to view it though or it will skip. It says it can take 14mp still pics, but my pics don't look as good as a 14mp Camera.

I got a Sony HDR XR-150 this winter for the wrestling team.
I was SUPRISED at how good the indoor footage was. WOW. And in 1080.

It's a GREAT camera.

Tiny.

It's a full hard drive cam too.

W

wag13

Jun 22, 2008
Spearfish,SD
Just spent the last couple hours watching youtube vids and reading reviews on cameras and im gonna have to say the clear winner is the Panasonic TM90. Without a doubt the sickest camcorder ever. Its got great picture, sound, and functionability. Plus some pretty neat features like a zoom microphone, so when you zoom onto an object it only records the sound of that object to eliminate background noise.

Props to CO 2.0-----Great camera

colorado_matt

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
COLORADO
I have been thinking about picking up another camera for next year. So often I wish I had captured things from an additional angle.

CO2.0........... how does the panosonic hold up to sledding conditions such as cold, vibration, and moisture? Dealing with tapes is kind of a pain, but I've been told they are much more durable. Tie was 3 years ago though, I'm sure technology has advanced a bit since then!

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
I have been thinking about picking up another camera for next year. So often I wish I had captured things from an additional angle.

CO2.0........... how does the panosonic hold up to sledding conditions such as cold, vibration, and moisture? Dealing with tapes is kind of a pain, but I've been told they are much more durable. Tie was 3 years ago though, I'm sure technology has advanced a bit since then!

The lowest I've recorded at is ~20deg, but it did very well. The LCD screen worked fine. It's also got a view finder which is nice on bright days where the LCD is hard to see. I carry it in a case in my backpack so it stays dry, but have gotten snow on it and just blew it off and it worked fine. It's got really good anti shake for your boys who can't hold a camcorder still. Has really good wind noise reduction. Good battery life even recording at highest res. Very good optical zoom too.

colorado_matt

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
COLORADO
Now that I have done some reading and comparing of 'new' stuff, I am leaning towards the panasonic HDC-TM 700. It looks like a very nice camera and has excellent reviews in the areas that I think are most important for my particular use.

Vertical-Extreme

Lifetime Membership
Sep 15, 2008
Airdrie, Alberta
www.airdriejudo.ca
Now that I have done some reading and comparing of 'new' stuff, I am leaning towards the panasonic HDC-TM 700. It looks like a very nice camera and has excellent reviews in the areas that I think are most important for my particular use.

the tm700's look awesome, the 900 is just a newer version, so you can probably find good deals on a 700 right now. I am looking for one too. I had a sony last year that worked really good, but it didn't have a view finder which is a deal breaker on sunny days

Premium Features