• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Grinding in reverse

pinko

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wembley, AB
I have an '09 M1000 with about 250km on it. When I'm in reverse if I get on the throttle at all it ratchets or grinds. Is it possible that it's the gears in my DD?

Mar 4, 2009
mine just started doing the same exact thing last weekend and its a 2010 m8 i was just thinking it was the track but now you have me wondering. has any one else had this problem?

pinko

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wembley, AB
It could be the track. I haven't had a chance to check it out as I'm working out of town. It sounded worse than the track ratcheting though

F

FrostBite2010

Jan 9, 2010
Haines, Alaska
Interesting...

I just started getting the same thing. I just went through my DD and everything is perfect in there? I was thinking it had something to do with the RKtek secondary. It doesn't sound like gears grinding its more like its throwing slack in the belt and causing it to jump....I pulled my side panel and was watching it but i didn't notice anything out of the ordinary? :face-icon-small-dis
It only seems to do it when its somewhat under a load in reverse. I don't notice it when I'm backing of the sled deck or on the trail just in the powder mostly? Is this what you guys are experiencing?

diggler

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Kalispell, MT
get the same thing with my 10 M8, but like stated only under load. have stock clutching. was in diamond drive last month and everything looked great.

pinko

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wembley, AB
Frostbite mine is the exact same as what you're describing. Maybe it is just the track ratcheting. I won't be able to check it for at least another week

Mar 4, 2009
mine is the same exact thing i went out and inspected my diamond drive and everything looks great it must just be the track i tryed everything i could to make it do it and it did not i was in really heavy snow so maybe its just the track.

DPalmerM10

Premium Member
Jan 7, 2008
Crescent,OR
My HCR and my wifes M8 both do the same thing. Both are 2010s. It feels like the drive clutch pulls the belt down into the driven clutch then the belt jumps back out to the top again then repeats, causing a big banging noise. Neither of our 2007s did this, maybe it has something to do with the notched helix witch the 2007s did not have. Dave.:face-icon-small-ton

P
Nov 28, 2007
Glenville, Minnesota
Just to let you guys know that have the sleds with reverse that your motor turns in reverse, your secondary helex has a notch in it for reverse but it does not let the clutch open so you really should not get on the gas too much. also if your belt deflection is too loose then your secondary is open too far and that notch in the helex might not catch causing the belt to jump

Last edited:
S
Nov 26, 2007
washington
I think your secondary clutch is opening up and allowing the belt to go slack and slip--mine works fine on the flat, but if the track is packed with snow the clutch will open up before the rollers slip into the reverse notch. I have a cutler conversion on mine, which makes it worse, but your symptoms sound identical to mine.

Premium Features