• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Recommended Port on M8?

SnowBigDeal

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Dec 17, 2003
Mt. Pleasant, UT
www.snowbigdeal.com
I am rebuilding the top end on my '07 M8 and figured I might as well get it ported while I've got it torn apart.

I am running the Speedwerx Pipe & Can, other than that it is basically stock.

Which people/companies out there do a good job on porting this engine and what luck have you had with it? Is it worth the money to have it ported?

I looked at SLP's website and it looks like they gain about 11HP with the Port (+ 14HP gain by adding their pipe too).

W
Sep 30, 2009
Cle Elum, WA
I too had a Speedwerx pipe and can. Ended up selling it and buying an SLP pipe/can and also their porting and head modification. I went all SLP because they had a fuel map worked out for the PCIII that dialed the sled in. It runs PERFECT.

If you were to mix/match stuff, I'd probably just keep the Speedwerx stuff and use RK Tek for the porting. I believe he's got some porting specs that will work good with the SW pipe. You'll likely have to start from scratch on your boondocker/PCIII settings however.

The M8 really seems to wake up with some porting. Much snappier.

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
best thing i think you can do is, talk to kelsey at rk tek, talk to slp, talk to cutler, and others, and do your research, and make a good descision for your riding style and elevation. ski

dunatyk

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SLP currently has a set of used ported M8 cylinders. Buy them and sell you stockers and away you go. Had the SLP pipe on my 09 LE and it was neck and neck with a 2010 HCR

D

dmkhnr

Nov 26, 2007
NV
I've run both rkt and SLP porting.
My take, the slp is a potent package with their pipe/fuel controller, no guess work, just bolt on and smile. It's also quite a bit less money, and they will be having a sale soon making it even less expensive.

My rkt runs great, but I had to do all the tuning myself. When I had the cyls cut it was presented to me that the package would net a large hp increase with the stock pipe. This was not the case, and not until a pipe/fuel controller were added did I see the power increase.

Both run neck and neck on the hill, so you can't go wrong with either

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
On that sled we can run port, pipe & head without a box, so no tuning is needed.

Cade, I'd definitely recommend adding a head to get the most out of that setup, we know that works very well around here.

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
I've run both rkt and SLP porting.
My take, the slp is a potent package with their pipe/fuel controller, no guess work, just bolt on and smile. It's also quite a bit less money, and they will be having a sale soon making it even less expensive.

please give more info on when and how much on this sale? please, ski

Mntryder

Premium Member
Dec 26, 2002
Western Colorado
Here you go. A response straight from SLP.......

Hello,

For years we have been offering a summer discount on snowmobile porting. It is from April 1 to July 31. The discount is 10% off the regular price.

Thanks, Jim

M

mtn mike on boost

Nov 26, 2007
Woodinville,WA
10%:frusty:
the way this thread was going, i was hoping for a better discount :violin:
maybe 20%:hail:
but i am so happy w/ my sled so far, there was no way i wasn't going to have
them port it, so i guess 10% IS better than nothing

D

dmkhnr

Nov 26, 2007
NV
10%:frusty:
the way this thread was going, i was hoping for a better discount :violin:
maybe 20%:hail:
but i am so happy w/ my sled so far, there was no way i wasn't going to have
them port it, so i guess 10% IS better than nothing

The 10% isn't a huge discount, but compare the price of slp to rkt and now your talking almost 60% off. I think I paid $1100 for port/head.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
The 10% isn't a huge discount, but compare the price of slp to rkt and now your talking almost 60% off. I think I paid $1100 for port/head.

I'm not bagging on slp, sounds like they've got a great setup, but their porting looks to be only $25 less than RKT, and $50-75 more than MPM (and for the op, would cost shipping as well)... I don't see where you could possibly come up with the figure of 60% off.

Product Information:

Description Retail

Single Pipe Set (Y-pipe, Pipe, and Silencer)650.00
Performance Edition Porting575.00
High Flow™ Intake Kit (Part #14-299)54.95
Clutch Kit 187.85
V-Force 3 Reed Valve Set258.00
Power Commander III 349.95
Typical Total 2,075.75

I assume there is some sort of head mod in there that I'm not seeing also, but to compare another head to Kelsey's head is kinda silly. We've run them & have yet to see one compare honestly.

The pipe is definitely cheaper than the SW pipe, but we all knew that & the OP already has a SW setup on his sled.

J

JasonAK

Dec 5, 2007
I'm not bagging on slp, sounds like they've got a great setup, but their porting looks to be only $25 less than RKT, and $50-75 more than MPM (and for the op, would cost shipping as well)... I don't see where you could possibly come up with the figure of 60% off.

Product Information:

Description Retail

Single Pipe Set (Y-pipe, Pipe, and Silencer)650.00
Performance Edition Porting575.00
High Flow™ Intake Kit (Part #14-299)54.95
Clutch Kit 187.85
V-Force 3 Reed Valve Set258.00
Power Commander III 349.95
Typical Total 2,075.75

I assume there is some sort of head mod in there that I'm not seeing also, but to compare another head to Kelsey's head is kinda silly. We've run them & have yet to see one compare honestly.

The pipe is definitely cheaper than the SW pipe, but we all knew that & the OP already has a SW setup on his sled.

The $575 includes shaving the stock head by 10 thou. or 20 thou. depending on elevation.

I was told the porting was $500 with no head mod.

Jason

D

dmkhnr

Nov 26, 2007
NV
SLP porting/head $545 take a discount $491

RKT porting/head $1100

Do the math it's a 55% savings. They both need a pipe as the claim that the stock pipe works is BS, (been there done that). So add $650+ to the price of porting.

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
the slp "head" and port is a head mod and cyl porting... they shave your head for more compression, to match their porting for part of the perfomance package.

i believe the rk tek "head" in his new head and port, is a new complete head with his designed and pattented combustion chamber, and porting of the cyls for his package.

not an apples to apples comparo.

on a side note, it would be great if slp did a 10% off the complete package price, that would get us down to the 17-1800 dollar range for this upgrade. the hp dollar for dollar ratio would be awesome. ski

Premium Features