• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

nytro hand warmer fix

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
any one else have any ideas for this without ripping off the grips and replacing the elements? i did the foam inside the handlebars and its still not enough. the yamaheater sounds great but over $200 is a little steep.

mark

Lifetime Membership
Sep 26, 2001
Wyoming
Handwarmer fix!

I finally figured out why the factory hand grips on the Nytro fail. The spongy material under the heating elements moves around allowing the elements to flex and finally break. When they are installed it's very difficult to wrap the element super tight to the handle bar, if you have a crease in the element wrap while you wrap it there is now a spot for the element to flex and eventually break giving you an open circuit.

I repaired one of my heater while on the machine.

1. Remove the hand grip
2. Find the plug for the bad heater and put an ohm meter on it.
3. Start at the end of the element and squeeze it and watch the ohm meter, it suddenly shows continuity you just found the broken spot, mark it.
4. Carefully cut the covering over the element material and peel it back so you can see the element.
5. Find the break in the element.
6. Fold the ends and try to hook them together or just overlap the ends.
7. Put the cut out piece back over the repair and wrap the entire grip with 3M 27 tape as tight as you can. Check for continuity.
8. Install grip.

I have two rides on my repair and it still work just fine.

Tobbe...

Lifetime Membership
Mar 27, 2008
Sweden
I finally figured out why the factory hand grips on the Nytro fail. The spongy material under the heating elements moves around allowing the elements to flex and finally break. When they are installed it's very difficult to wrap the element super tight to the handle bar, if you have a crease in the element wrap while you wrap it there is now a spot for the element to flex and eventually break giving you an open circuit.

I bought two (first one got stolen pretty mutch right away) RTX se back in -09, none of them had what I would say working warmers.

On my second one, I rode it for a month or so-and then I installed the yamaheater. Finally I could ride without cold hands-and they work just as fine today, four years after install! :)

Expensive, but highly recommended!

Premium Features