• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Lets here your night riding stories

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
Do you have a story, like the ones I have heard so many times about getting caught in the dark with no lights or without adequate aux lights in a break down situation, Maybe your a S&R member who realizes the need for good lights
Or just love night riding.
Lets here your story
Thanks

Last edited:
B
Feb 25, 2013
2002, a friend flew in to Seattle from Co., we loaded up the RV and trailer for a mid week camp/ride in Goose Creek/Lake Wenatchee, Fish Lake area. We got a late start and rode the first day all the way to Eniat river road. The return trail I decided on was one I had ridden years before the 96' fire, the day got dark fast, and both our KTM EXC's had pathetic lights, the dead trees had made the trail unrecognizable, particularly in the dark. About 1am we gave up in what we thought was a switch back and tried to sleep till daylight. My friend had special forces training, in fact he had just retired from the crew of the spy plane the Chinese confiscated a few years back. I was mentally freezing to death even though covered by pine needles, huddling up to his skinny butt was not any warmer. At daylight I realized my mistake and that the switchback was a hole from a dead tree's rootball. We were back at the motorhome in a short time, after hot showers and food, he asked, "Wan't to go out again?"

I have many times since, it's probably time to upgrade my original light I bought from your company in 2004, never have needed it like the story, but at least I have it!:wine:

E
Dec 1, 2008
Night ride

This past new years eve. Rode 90 miles during the day. Came back to Albany had a quick bite and decided to take a short ride up to Keystone. It was clear
out so we decided to ride over to Wyocola for a beer. Stopped half way over shut the sleds off and sat and staired at the stars. Just cant see them in the city like that. Rode over had beer and headed back. Running along pretty slow because it was so cold. Caught a glimpse of something on side of road and a big moose jumped out on the road ahead of us. We just stopped and watched him walk slow up the road in our lights then just hit the deep snow and took off. Just after getting going again a fox jumped up on the road and we had to stop again. It is fantastic to be out there at night. Its not like ditch banging bar to bar in Midwest. Its so quiet and breathtaking. Did make it back for new years fireworks.

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
Found this one digging threw the pictures on the phone . One of the girls decided it would be a good idea to let the kids build a snowman . I was standing to the right of my better half that has the Solstice , we where laughing at them because they asked for the light but they where trying to keep their backs to it , and she didn't even have the full beam on them as you can tell by the glare on the snow while they where on the outer edge of the main beam .

Attachments

• IMG_20121230_210805_210.jpg
    IMG_20121230_210805_210.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 161

deanross

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2010
Cody WY
We started doing a few night rides every year a few years ago when my son couldn't get weekends off. One of the first rides we went on, I was leading the way boondockin and cruising along. All of a sudden the snow dropped off into a big ravine and it was to late to stop. Needless to say I ended up over the handlebars. Luckily no injuries but it sure slowed me down at night from then on. I also got smart and started letting him lead more often.

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
We started doing a few night rides every year a few years ago when my son couldn't get weekends off. One of the first rides we went on, I was leading the way boondockin and cruising along. All of a sudden the snow dropped off into a big ravine and it was to late to stop. Needless to say I ended up over the handlebars. Luckily no injuries but it sure slowed me down at night from then on. I also got smart and started letting him lead more often.

Thanks for the story Dean.
A perfect scenario where a helmet mounted light would have most likely kept you out of trouble.

C
Feb 25, 2012
Alberta
I've been out at night once on my sled just on the trail, it was ok. I never used to ever have the desire to ride at night until last winter, a buddy and I went on a night ride with our dirtbikes and studded tires on some tight single track XC race trails, had a helmet light and a bar mounted LED, before we started I thought this might not be a real good idea but it eneded up being a blast!! With a couple good lights it was such a good time and never once did I feel unsafe, vision was no problem at all. Great time with proper equipment..

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
We've been out a few times at night. Seems like each time was pretty stormy. The first time out at night was the learning experience for the rest of the times. We learned rather quickly that getting stuck requires leaving the engine running until help arrives. The wife shut it down and so the lights went out. Headlamps are in the back pack now too. It's fun at night but certainly a different experience.

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
We've been out a few times at night. Seems like each time was pretty stormy. The first time out at night was the learning experience for the rest of the times. We learned rather quickly that getting stuck requires leaving the engine running until help arrives. The wife shut it down and so the lights went out. Headlamps are in the back pack now too. It's fun at night but certainly a different experience.

You would not believe how many riders I talk to every year who go out unprepared. Night riding is a blast, but make sure you are prepared.
A powerful helmet mounted light is the single best piece of equipment you can have for fun and safe night riding.

Premium Features