• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Looking at 09-10 800 Pteks need some input

Ok long story short i had some bills to take care of and sold my 11 freeride with the etec. Another reason i sold it is because i only ride out west 2 times a year and cant really justify that sled. So im looking for something a bit cheaper to ride. I know the pteks are carbed but what issues will i have with getting one with 500-1000 miles? Ive only been around polaris (having my 800 blow up and costing alot of $) and owning the freeride. The etec was awesome in my opinion. I know if you roll it over to get it unstuck you will be pulling your arm off. Do i need to change the carbs for riding here in iowa? If i could get alittle insight on these machines that would be great. I know you guys may think im crazy going backwards with the engine but it seems to be a cheaper solution and still be able to enjoy mtn riding. My style of riding is basically some climbing trees meadows and the occasional bar to bar and home here in iowa..lol I dont do anything crazy so do you think id be fine with one of these?

Thanks!

N

niles

Jan 5, 2009
nw iowa
You would be more than fine, in fact some people dream to have a sled like that. With the dpm on the sled you would have to do nothing but change your clutch setting. And yes it is a pain in the a## when you roll them over, but what ya gonna do but stay at the lodge.:face-icon-small-ton

D
Sep 6, 2011
Calgary
I have a Dynoport exhaust on my '10 and I found that unless I roll it over then point it downhill it won't flood hardly at all. My experience over the last 2 seasons has been that 75-80% of the time my sled will start within 2 pulls. My dad's 07Ptek summit would flood bad but he put a bikeman pipe on his and got the same result; after rolling over it would fire right up.

S

swrev

Jun 26, 2008
Lewistown, MT
I don't understand the problem restarting once rolling over either. Couple pulls and the carb Skidoo's fire right up. Never had on that didn't--two '04 8and 6, 07, 08. My 09 w/ a turbo has a harder time restarting, but that seems to be from loosing my my prime to my electric fuel pump.

T

taylorbok

Nov 10, 2008
depending on the roll and how long the machine stayed upside down it will take longer to start, I have had some really bad ones, if you dont see the issue you should try riding the etec starts first pull every time, its awesome especially after being tired from getting ur self un stuck.

But thats not what the thread is about, 500-1000 miles the only thing that might be worn is the primary bushings nothing to much else should be worn out just abused

S
Dec 15, 2009
NW Iowa
I personally ride an '08 with the 154" back here in Iowa. Definately more sled than needed for riding around Iowa. I also take the 1-2 trips per year out west. In my opinion any Summit you will be happy with if you are only riding a couple times out west per year and the rest of the time in Iowa. Prefer an XP but other than that I wouldn't get too bent out of shape about what year.

Premium Features