• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Help -- Weird Downhill Engine Braking????

03RMK800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kremmling, Colorado
The clutches and engine on my 2010 800R XP Rev Everist (app 200 miles) are acting like a modern ATV CVT on a 4 stroke-- If I head down a steep hill with the belt engaged and throttle closed, the engine holds at about 5500 rpm and the sled at about 21 mph.

Can increase speed with throttle.

Acts "normal" (coasts) if I start down the hill without the belt engaged.

I never heard of dynamic engine braking on a sled but this one sure acts like it. Any experiences with this? Any ideas?
Thanks!

03RMK800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kremmling, Colorado
Thanks-- I just had not had this happen in 46 years of riding. It seems strange that the engine actually holds RPM like the ATV four strokes. I was worried about it, especially after the voice at the other end of the line told me to get the sled back to the dealership ASAP. I'm waiting to see what they say, and what they do about using 2 quarts of oil in 34 miles and 5 gallons of gas.

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
Normal, its a nice feel with control coming down something steep in the spring.

I am not to sure this is a "nice feel". I can tell ya, when it's steep and slick and you let off the gas going down hill you have 10x the control using the break to control the decent and keep the track "rolling" compared to having to bump the throttle to get the engagement up enough to keep the darn track rolling. Ski doo has the "STIFFEST" secondary spring I have ever seen. When you have it cranked up like this it is going to hold like it does.

Personally I would rather have the sled coast when letting off the throttle rather than pitch you over the bars.

Again I know I should shut up and get back into the AC forum. But I can't help it. :)

Honestly I am just trying to figure these XP's out a bit. I have a buddy with one and we continually try and improve on a great sled. This engine breaking has been a topic of discussion after our last couple rides.

Thunder

03RMK800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kremmling, Colorado
Thanks to all who responded. I guess its normal for a Skidoo--it just didn't happen on my first Skidoos-- 1966 Alpine, 1965(?) Olympique.
I prefer how the Polaris clutches repond-- they allow coasting, and will allow RPM to come up quicker from a low speed/stopped situation. Its a learning experience to ride the Skidoo clutches.

Premium Features