• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best Boondocking Weapon ?

I

ikold

Dec 2, 2007
Turbo M8 or Turbo Nytro ? Or something else.

We ride allot of deep high altitude terrain in Colorado / WY / UT. Mostly in the trees and steeps but not allot of hill climbing. Mostly technical boondocking.

What is the best setup for that riding? Have had a polaris 900 166 and have an xp 163 now. Am thinking of going down to a 153 in my next sled.

Thanks

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
Isn't a D8 a bulldozer? that way you can go through the trees:D

If you like 2 strokes the M8 is a great sled. I love 4 cylinder four strokes and mod the hell out of them so that I can hang with the 800 2 strokes in the technical riding --- but make no mistake the 4 banger eats them in snow drags:beer; and is close in climbs if you go all out on lightweight stuff and clutching.:eek:
That is before turbo.

The turbo 4 strokes pull harder than the 2 strokes on the open climbs and drags but that much power is hard to handle in the trees. I would consider a Nytro with the MCX 180 kit if you need to go turbo.
I would not turbo a 2 stroke for reliabillity reasons allone

Last edited:
M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
well, I have a t-Nytro...and it is great, but the M8's are insanely good in the tight terrain, they handle as pure as one could imagine...I might have to get a M8PGT just to have fun with it...

but if i was doing the build today...I would do it with a PGTM8

D

dcturbo

Mar 2, 2008
WYO
If you like to boondock you can't beat how easy the 2 strokes are. When the snow isn't 2 feet plus of fresh I ride my stock M8 and have a blast on it. The nytro wears me out. ( Because it's a 174) Our group now has 4 turbo cats 2 with race gas and 2 with pump. We also have a T-doo xp. If I had a turbo on my Cat I would probably ride that all the time, until the snow was 3 feet plus of course:D Those cats or xp can't hold a candle to my nytro in those kind of conditions.
I would go with the Cat or Doo And the only kit I would get on a Doo is Turbo Performance's kit
Cheers:beer;

PGTDragon

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 17, 2009
Lakewood Co.
If and a big if, you are willing to spend the time and funds necessary a '10 Nytro MTX SE in a 153". Drop as much weight as you can off of it, VanAmburg Tunnel, Timbersled front end, etc...Add a stage one supercharger and you will have a very reliable and potent boondocking machine, that being said a 2010 M8 with a BD Turbo is an excellent machine in its own right, just depends on how much you are willing to spend. $17,000 or so for a fully set-up M8 or more for a Nytro, but the Nytro should be a more reliable and I would go with a SC rather than a turbo for the Nytro.
If you want a machine that really handles in the tight trees the Dragon is the way, but sometimes I handle myself right into trees, or just throw myself right off......

A
Nov 26, 2007
Alaska
D8 The IQ is the best handling platform out there. You will be able to carve circles around anyone else. Everybody says the M8 Handles great, I think it handles alot like the Edge chassie, which did handle great but can't touch the IQ. My .02

T

twsandrew

Nov 26, 2007
TM1000 with 174. Easier to ride in the trees over an M8 because of the bottom end.

S
Oct 15, 2008
Bozeman-MT
It all depends on how good of a rider you are. The only time weight really comes into play is when you lack the ability to let the sled do the work. Great rider never deal with sled weight, they let the HP do the work for them. Weight becomes an issue when you lack skill or ability and you have to use your own strength to maneuver the sled. Something great rider never do. That's why when you watch them ride it looks effortless....it is.

Premium Features