• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Nytro Rev Limiter

W
Oct 2, 2009
I'm finishing up a Nytro with a 240hp MCX kit. My dealer told me that if I hit the rev limiter at all I will float the valves and the motor will be done? What about blowing a belt, don't tell me the rpm won't spike causing engine damage?

Anybody hit the rev limiter on a boosted Nytro without engine damage? Can the rev limiter be trusted?

At what rpm does the limiter kick in on a Nytro?

A

aart

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
9200-9400 but you won't want to see that 8900 is prime, the limiter protects motor from self destructing, and your tach will be to slow at times. you will feel the sled hesitate, when its hits limiter. i hit mine lots down low on trails.

A

Ak nitro

Dec 1, 2007
Cortez Colorado
I have hit my rev limiter in the past when I first installed my kit, and that was over 2000 miles ago. The point of the rev limiter is to protect the engine, so hitting it once and while should not hurt much. I would just try to not do it a lot and you should be fine. my sled used to hit the rev limiter before I installed the different rollers, it would spike up and settle down quite a bit.

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
I had the same question only on a Impulse standalone kit. I seen over 9400 rpms this last WKD. I thought this sled had a rev limiter but I am thinking there is either something wrong or the standalone don't have a limiter since the first time I took this sled out I broke the keeper on a valve and it ruined the engine. At that time I never even got a chance to look at the tach I just thought if it over reved it would bounce off the limiter.:confused:

Anyone with a Impulse standalone hit there rev limiter??

A

Ak nitro

Dec 1, 2007
Cortez Colorado
I have the standalone kit, but I have not been near the rev limiter since I have installed the new standalone. I am not sure if the standalone would interupt the rev limiter as it only bypasses the fuel system. The standalone box powers the fuel injectors by itself and uses other sensors to contol fuel. The stock system is still trying to run it is just not hooked up, so I don't know why the rev limiter would not work. I kept my prologger on my sled just for this reason, it is so easy to log a 30 second run and check you rpms, the standalone wire harness has an extra hole you can plug the prologger into and get accurate rpm readings. My clutching is averaging about 8600 rpm at 16 lbs of boost, I would add weight to your primary to get the rpms down, rpms are not as important as they are on two strokes, you can be down a lot lower and not notice that much.

Last edited:

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
My Prologger is hooked up for RPMs that is what i am reading them off of. As I mentioned I know I need to add some weight to the clutch just never took the time, I will be adding weight before I go out next time, but I still would like to have the peace of mind knowing that I have a rev limiter and I won't destroy another engine.

Sleds R Fun

Premium Member
Dec 31, 2007
BC
Rpm

I have bounced my rev limiter often with now problems yet. I figure it's like a dirt bike, usually you don't hurt much.

Premium Features