• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Studs studs studs studs!!!

A
Sep 24, 2009
clinton ny
hey guys any complaints about hedgehog studs. mind u the application is a 2 up and the sole reason for the studs is traction so weight is not a factor here. no drag racing on the lakes. the sled is a 2006 edge touring by the way.
u guys recommend going with 1/4 or 3/8 penetration for a 2 up what is the difference as far as ride and traction?

B
Dec 3, 2008
Why do you want studs if its not a performance sled? Studs arent good for much of anything other than ice. I cant imagine the need for studs on a touring sled that will seldom leave groomed trails or ditches.

I have a full set on my 02 pro-X (only because its a race sled and they came from the factory that way) and I'd love them out, but once they are in, they are better left in, IMO.

jgd

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Becker, MN
In my opinion ALL short track trail sleds should be studded up (I consider yours a short track) Regardless of how agressive a rider you are. For safety reasons alone, they are well worth the investment. Most trail intersections and corners ice up, especially on a weekend with high traffic. Stopping and acceleration will be greatly enhanced. You will however now have more ability to push your front end in turns as your rear will no longer break loose as much as it used to, probably a non issue for you. Adjust your limiter straps and/or add more carbide if needed.

I've seen people wad up non studded sleds because they thought they didn't need them, until they couldn't stop for that turn and instead took out oncoming traffic. From your profile I've got a good idea where you probably ride,as I'm originally from your area. I have a yearning for some steamers and wings..:beer;

B
Dec 3, 2008
Not sure how NY is, but studs are illegal on the trail systems in MN, not?

I dont disagree with your thinking, but why the separation between short and long tracks? on ice, a long track will slide just as far, if not further, than a shortie. One because it most likely weighs more and long tracks usually have less "lugs" than a stock short track.

Last edited:

jgd

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Becker, MN
Sorry but your info is incorrect. Studs ARE legal in Minnesota. There are however a handful of trails that run over bike paths. These sections of trail cannot be run by studded sleds. These were originally sled trails which were converted to dual use. Why they ever allowed this is beyond me.

jgd

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Becker, MN
I missed the rest of your comment; yes, on ice a long track will slide just as far, however long tracks are not "trail sleds". They don't see the trail use that a shorty does because that is not what they are intended for. Trail time is brief. In Minnesota we easily pound out 200 miles in a brief time, encountering much traffic, lots of turns, stops, etc. When out West with the long tracks, our trail time is virtually non existent with 99.9% of the day off trail in the mountains. If I went out west to ride trails I would bring the shorty. agurdo17 is a trail rider in Upstate NY...:beer;

I dont disagree with your thinking, but why the separation between short and long tracks? on ice, a long track will slide just as far, if not further, than a shortie. One because it most likely weighs more and long tracks usually have less "lugs" than a stock short track.

B
Dec 3, 2008
Sorry but your info is incorrect. Studs ARE legal in Minnesota. There are however a handful of trails that run over bike paths. These sections of trail cannot be run by studded sleds. These were originally sled trails which were converted to dual use. Why they ever allowed this is beyond me.

I kenw there was something about studs there. Are there signs telling you that you are entering a "paved trail" or "no metal tracton devices allowed?" In the winter, how would you know you are on a paved trail?

yes, on ice a long track will slide just as far, however long tracks are not "trail sleds".

Id say its more where you ride rather than what size your track is for the studs. I have a short track and until this year, hardly ever rode trails. Just not many areund here! ;) I'd rather be without.

I agree that it would be a safety feature to have them, but have heard many complaints about them "tearing" up the trails, approaches, etc.
Im also assuming you are not suggesting he put a full 144 studs in that trail sled, just enough to help with icy patches.

jgd

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Becker, MN
I kenw there was something about studs there. Are there signs telling you that you are entering a "paved trail" or "no metal tracton devices allowed?" In the winter, how would you know you are on a paved trail?

Yes, there are signs on the trails that I am familar with and there are typically alternate routes.

Id say its more where you ride rather than what size your track is for the studs. I have a short track and until this year, hardly ever rode trails. Just not many areund here! ;) I'd rather be without.

I agree that if you don't do trails with your short track, then I wouldn't stud it either. The conditions that warrant them are typically found on the trails.

I agree that it would be a safety feature to have them, but have heard many complaints about them "tearing" up the trails, approaches, etc.
Im also assuming you are not suggesting he put a full 144 studs in that trail sled, just enough to help with icy patches.

I wouldn't agree that studs tear up trails, but they can be hard on driveways and do leave crossing marks on roadways after a few years. I'd recommend putting the minimum amt on that two up. I'm not sure how long his track is...
:beer;

A
Sep 24, 2009
clinton ny
well guys first and foremost. This is my uncles sled that i am planning to do the work on. Thats said i ride a 04 pro x2 800 with 192 or 196 studs.. cant remember. Its a 1.35 track with stud boys. I didn't have studs in my first sled and will always have them after that. i love studs especialy for short drag racing and they dont seem to hinder me in 2-4 feet of powder either. I love powder riding here cause there is not usualy more than a ft or two of it.

but anyways. i was planning on going with a 2-4 patter which is 162 studs in a 136 in track. Problem he is having is that he rides up near saranac lake and the trails are always freshly groomed which in turn there is always a lot of ice and hard packed snow. So he is constantly trying to get back in the gas and slow down to keep up with the single riders so he needs more traction.

Do i need tunnel protectors?>??:beer;

B
Dec 3, 2008
haha. I guess we kinda got side tracked and got away from your origional question on the Hedgehog studs. That I have no knowlegde of.
Actually I dont even know what brand are in my Pro-X because they were factory.

I cant imagine you'd need a tunnel protector with the proper length studs. The clearance shouldnt be that tight. Even if 2 riders bottomed out the suspension.

jgd

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Becker, MN
If the coolers are in the tunnel, they double as tunnel protectors, by design. If he does not have the coolers there, he will need to install tunnel protectors. I am unfamiliar with the hedgehogs. Stud Boys have a good rep. I personally run the Woody's studs and have for many years.

Thing to remember is that the track lugs do fold somewhat, so even a 1" stud on a 1" track will "bite". Too much penetration and you can have tear outs, especially if you don't have enough studs (more studs will better distribute the load). If you opt for more traction (bite), then plan on adding more carbide to the front, to compensate for all that additional traction coming from the rear. You can also suck up the front limiter strap to provide more ski pressure... I think you also need to remember that this is a touring sled, not a Pro-X:).

IMO since its a touring sled, I would go with 108 1.075" studs. That will greatly improve his traction and handling and shouldn't push too bad in the corners. :beer;

A
Sep 24, 2009
clinton ny
what would the 108 pattern be. the studs we have picked out are like u said only a little taller. like a 1.075. was thinkin to just stud it down the center and not go on the outside bars to make sure it will still turn.

jgd

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Becker, MN
If my math is right 136/2.52=54. Putting two studs in each would yield 108 or could do 4 in every other. Stagger them of course so each cuts it's own path. Yes, for this touring application I would not put them on the outside.

what would the 108 pattern be. the studs we have picked out are like u said only a little taller. like a 1.075. was thinkin to just stud it down the center and not go on the outside bars to make sure it will still turn.

jgd

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Becker, MN
If you're in Clinton I grew up 5 miles from you in Whitesboro. Spent a lot of time in Old forge, Boonville, Turin, etc. Was home three weeks ago and also went up to Old Forge, may come back in Nov for a little hunting :D...

A
Sep 24, 2009
clinton ny
cool. yeah i boycott old forge. I am big in the e z riders snomwoible club... which is westmorelands club. I ride a lot there and every sunday do about 100 miles in the penn mtn are. did about 2200 total last year.

Premium Features