• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Trying to decide between silber vs boondocker. Have a question.

SuperchargedWS6

Lifetime Membership
Nov 14, 2010
Looking for a turbo for an Axys. I ride flat land at 1000ft and mountains 6000 to 1000ft.

I want to be able to run no boost(open wastegate) at 1000ft and only use boost in the mountains. stock power is more than fine for flat land riding.

Are either of these kits capable of this easily? Not just the ability to run open waste gate, but their fuel controllers adapt and run well with no boost.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

S
Oct 4, 2016
north pole alaska
I ride sliber and to the best of my knowledge you cant run on boost {do to the remap on factory ECU} but you can run 3 pounds witch is about 30 hp extra and you can swap springs to {3-5-7-10 or 12} and the mapping doesn't need changed for those swaps. its just a guess but if you clutch for 3 pounds at sea level you can probably throw a 7 or 10 pound spring in the wastegate at 8 to 10,000 and get the same HP as you hade at sea level and not need to re clutch. its probably the best bet but thin again I know little about BDs kits. I run silbers turbo at 0 to 5,000 or so with 5 pounds and no clutching changes with indy dans low elevation kits. I don't know what the tack variation is....well because im always hanging on and cant seem to stair at that screen long enough to see it :D but as long as all I can do is hang on I guess its tacking GOOD!!! good luck on your search super.

562xp

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2012
With the Silber kit you'll need to run 30% av gas with it for the altitude you'll be riding.

0-3k feet 3psi
3-6k feet 5psi
6-9k feet 7 psi

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Looking for a turbo for an Axys. I ride flat land at 1000ft and mountains 6000 to 1000ft.

I want to be able to run no boost(open wastegate) at 1000ft and only use boost in the mountains. stock power is more than fine for flat land riding.

Are either of these kits capable of this easily? Not just the ability to run open waste gate, but their fuel controllers adapt and run well with no boost.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
You can definately run a Silber with the open wastegte, but it might just run a little funky down low since its got some funny piping designed to feed it boost but there is none happening. I know the silbers are mapped for a full range of pressurses I just think its not going to run like a stock sled with a kit with an open wastegate. Put the 3psi spring and some av gas in and your game on for around home and its a tried and true setup.

The BD kits all have an EBC trying to create boost so you would have to disable it, and not sure how that affects their mapping.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
I see boondocker offers a "electronic" timing retard key, km ordering the 3 degree for my sled, for the low ish price of about $130? It would help safely run boost at lower elevstion as well. I ordered one for my sled, I ride 6k feet and want to get on pump gas, with that I will certainly be good to for ~6-8#

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
if you're gonna spend all the $ on a kit

why not spend the $ on fuel to run low boost at low elevation?

also clutching will be interesting
guess you'll need two setups ?

J
Oct 15, 2013
Breckenridge, CO
I dont think a Silber would be able to run no boost with the ECU flashed for mapping, you would be getting way to much fuel with no boost and the sled would just lay down.

With the BD kits I don’t think you could run no boost either as even with the EBC unplugged you would still run actuator minimum boost pressures. So instead of unplugging the EBC you would just turn down the boost pressure through the box and adjust fueling from there if needed, however you can still only turn it down as low as actuator minimum.

Really your best bet is to reach out to the two companies and get it straight from the horses mouth and then make a decision. I’m sure both have customers trying to achieve your goal already.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
The sled will run with no spring in the wastegate, I've tried it. But this would be a "do at your own risk" kind of thing. It also won't be all that clean, as you are sort of always "clogging up" your exhaust with the turbo plumbing.

Premium Features