• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Front Track Shock install questions

J
Mar 31, 2012
Mancos, CO
I removed all my shocks and sent them off to be serviced. I didn't have any issues getting any of the shocks out. I was able to get the rear track shock back into the skid no problem. I'm having issues getting the front track shock back into place. The problem is that if I attach the upper bolt, the 2 lower bolt holes don't seem to want to line up on the rails, the front shock spindle is too far back. If I attach the lower bolts first, the ones in the rails, then the upper bolt is sitting up too high and I can't compress the shock enough to get it to lower down.

I'm thinking I have to compress the spring and tighten it down quite a bit to get the FTS to line up with all the bolt holes and then loosen the spring after it's been tightened down??

Last edited:

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
That's one way to do it. When pulling out the skid shocks with the skid in, I put the front track shock in first. Rear is a float, but a ratchet strap can be used, too, with a non-float, to get the rear to line up.

T

TheBreeze

Jul 23, 2008
Sussex, Wisconsin
Loosen the spring so that it is easier to compress the shock and you should be able to get the bolt started. The front track shock is a battle, but it can be done. Install the bottom first, then compress the shock with the spring backed off to get the top bolt started.

A

Alaskanparret

Nov 25, 2011
I used a ratchet strap around the shock to compress it and it made
It super easy. Still a pain, but easier nonetheless!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

J
Mar 31, 2012
Mancos, CO
Well I was able to get it back into place last night. I put the bolts in for the front track shock spindle and tightened them down. I took the rear track shock out altogether. I loosened the spring all the way for the FTS. I laid the sled on it's side and was able to compress the shock enough with my hands that my girlfriend was able to drop the top bolt into place. The rear track shock then went back into place no problem too. Lesson learned, but that was kind of a pain.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Well I was able to get it back into place last night. I put the bolts in for the front track shock spindle and tightened them down. I took the rear track shock out altogether. I loosened the spring all the way for the FTS. I laid the sled on it's side and was able to compress the shock enough with my hands that my girlfriend was able to drop the top bolt into place. The rear track shock then went back into place no problem too. Lesson learned, but that was kind of a pain.

Unhook the limiter strap.

Bolt in the shock

2x4 under the front of the skid.

Reattach the limiter strap.

Sled mechanics 101

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
so you put a 2x4 between the skid and the track, at the front of the skid/?

Just under the track. (To compress the shock and make the limiter strap easy to get back together)

The weight of the sled will compress the shock.

If unhooking the limiter strap doesn’t give enough slack (to get the shock bolts in) then loosen the track tension also.

Premium Features