• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New Top End in Turbod Axys - Which Pistons?

nater24

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2010
My sled is a 2016 Axys with just under 1000 miles. It has had the BD sidekick from the beginning. Going to do a new top end before the snow flys. Anyone have any recommendation on which pistons to use?

Thanks

d8grandpa

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 27, 2010
Alberta
I am in the process of doing the top end on mine. A 16 with 1200 miles first season stock engine with SLP pipe and can, 1400 miles 2nd season with MTNTK turbo on it. So with 2600 miles i thought it would be good idea with no warranty cause of turbo be good idea freshen up.
Pulled it apart, looks mint. Could have left it no problem. Even reeds look like brand new.

FBB2C1E9-A3A7-4ACC-A15A-CBBCE8C1A0DE.jpg 60693C49-1B4C-4444-8A92-32EFCC615F8E.jpg 83D44DEC-455E-4B0B-9A70-1DBC71FF94F2.jpg B66E42DC-0C4E-45FB-B459-052664C36735.jpg

nater24

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2010
Why?? Unless you have a known issue, just run it.

It's not holding the same RPM that it was the first season that I had the turbo. It's down by a couple hundred RPM. Installed new cam arms, new belts, new primary spring. Cleaned the power valves. Resealed the exhaust connections etc...

My next step is to replace the motor mounts like I've seen in another thread.

S
Oct 4, 2016
north pole alaska
typical problem with turbos or NA. check the engine mounts theirs a good post on it also. they can look ok but be sacked out and allow the center to center on the clutches to wrong under load! lots of people spent lots of $$$ just to find these sleds eat the mounts like candy. good luck!!

D

doudea

Sep 20, 2009
Western Slope
It seems to me boost helps the top ends last longer than N/A as long as there is no DET occurring. Positive pressure on the bottom side of the piston keeps piston slap to a minimum. Back when Polaris had the issues with the 09 & 10 dragon 800s launching, the boosted ones lasted and didn't seem to suffer as bad. Just my 2 cents, I might be off based, I know just enough to be dangerous.

My boosted 16 axys has 125 lbs. in each hole. Using the bore scope looks perfect from what I can see. Just shy of 2000 miles with boost, last 300 miles were running at 10lbs.

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
HAHAHA !!

Rk tek makes a much better piston than polaris. There is a reason factories have copied his designs several times and continue to do so with newer motors.

xpturbo600 - I believe strongly that your information is not correct and you may want to check into it a bit more.

Here is my take on the subject.

#1 - My experience has told me no aftermarket Company makes a better piston than the OEMs

#2 - From my experience - contrary to what you think ..... RK-Tek has not design or ever manufactured a production piston. And chances are never will.

#3 - From my experience..... No OEM has ever copied any of My ideas or RK-TEK’s ideas...... about pistons.

I believe there is a lot of "fear mongering" around these pistons.... thinking the factory pistons are junk.

I'll take a little wager here on a public forum.

Here it is: The guy that started this thread that’s worried about his turbo Axys W/ 2000 miles on the OEM pistons... Put your engine back together with the current Pistons and run it...I'll warrantee your motor until 5000 miles.

I dare anyone to take a brand new Axys 0 miles put a set of wisecos or woosners...... ** Pro-X ... That Wiseco bought the tooling then had copied in Tiwain - the worst piston i have seen yet. ** turbo it.... and then ride it for 5000 miles. buy a helicoper you will need it.

** I worked to Create a less expensive top-end kit 2 years ago i ordered somewhere between 200 sets of Pro-X Pistons from Wiseco company..........
The ones that they claimed were THE Same as the ART Japan made ones and they bought the tooling...... and then copied exactly...... COMPLETELY WRONG AND A FLAT LIE. - THOSE WERE JUNK, NOT EVEN GOOD PAPER WEIGHTS.

The suppleir came up to my shop and ask me how things were going........... So i told them. ** How many do you think they warrantied ? You guessed it.... ZERO

I Paid out of my pocket to replace almost all of them with new OEM's..... no problems after that.

The most painful part of my **PRO-X experiment ** was most cylinder were destroyed by a sub-par ring...... and most of the others lost a ring locator before they could ruin the cylinder.

I dare anyone to take the bet.

xpturboman600 - And contrary to what you think and believe…

To the best of my knowledge - RK-TEK - did not design and build the Wiseco piston, or the German Built Wosner piston.

xpturbo66 - I am pretty sure you should check with RK-Tek before you post info like you did.......Because i do not ever remember them claiming they had designed manufactured
the greatest piston in the world as you mentioned.

Dan

Last edited:

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
More pics

When ever you see a OE piston with this much coating missing that early its because you were unlucky enough to get a cylinder that was not Plateau honed correctly from the factory.

Do not confused coating and piston wear by the piston.......... Its the cylinder finsih.

Its mass production, and you will get cylinder from great to poor on a OE built sled.

I have had 08 dragons roll thru the shop with north of 12,000 miles on them still running...... and sum destoyed in under 1200 miles.

Motors basicly almost talk to their owners..... if its running exactly the same as it was when it was new.... leave it alone.

if RPM and power seems down ** check your clutch wear componets first ** if its an 800 have the clutch professionally serviced.

if its still down on RPM and power it needs to be Honed to a Mirror finish and a new set of slugs.

Dan

R

RKT

Jul 19, 2001
Preston, Idaho
www.2strokeheads.com
xpturbo600 - I believe strongly that your information is not correct and you may want to check into it a bit more.

Here is my take on the subject.

#1 - My experience has told me no aftermarket Company makes a better piston than the OEMs

#2 - From my experience - contrary to what you think ..... RK-Tek has not design or ever manufactured a production piston. And chances are never will.

#3 - From my experience..... No OEM has ever copied any of My ideas or RK-TEK’s ideas...... about pistons.

I believe there is a lot of "fear mongering" around these pistons.... thinking the factory pistons are junk.

I'll take a little wager here on a public forum.

Here it is: The guy that started this thread that’s worried about his turbo Axys W/ 2000 miles on the OEM pistons... Put your engine back together with the current Pistons and run it...I'll warrantee your motor until 5000 miles.

I dare anyone to take a brand new Axys 0 miles put a set of wisecos or woosners...... ** Pro-X ... That Wiseco bought the tooling then had copied in Tiwain - the worst piston i have seen yet. ** turbo it.... and then ride it for 5000 miles. buy a helicoper you will need it.

** I worked to Create a less expensive top-end kit 2 years ago i ordered somewhere between 200 sets of Pro-X Pistons from Wiseco company..........
The ones that they claimed were THE Same as the ART Japan made ones and they bought the tooling...... and then copied exactly...... COMPLETELY WRONG AND A FLAT LIE. - THOSE WERE JUNK, NOT EVEN GOOD PAPER WEIGHTS.

The suppleir came up to my shop and ask me how things were going........... So i told them. ** How many do you think they warrantied ? You guessed it.... ZERO

I Paid out of my pocket to replace almost all of them with new OEM's..... no problems after that.

The most painful part of my **PRO-X experiment ** was most cylinder were destroyed by a sub-par ring...... and most of the others lost a ring locator before they could ruin the cylinder.

I dare anyone to take the bet.

xpturboman600 - And contrary to what you think and believe…

To the best of my knowledge - RK-TEK - did not design and build the Wiseco piston, or the German Built Wosner piston.

xpturbo66 - I am pretty sure you should check with RK-Tek before you post info like you did.......Because i do not ever remember them claiming they had designed manufactured
the greatest piston in the world as you mentioned.

Dan

Dan, Please verify your facts before posting "facts" that are 100% false, especially, about other companies.

OP.. Please do your research (like I think you have) and make informed decisions based on facts vs "hear-say" from Indy Dan...

FWIW, I will not enter into some back in forth bantering with Indy Dan.. He is 100% mistaken in his information.

Premium Features