• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

fouling plugs

Mr. BB

Premium Member
Sep 7, 2009
I have a 07 & 09 m8 that have fouled the plugs from day 1, the 09 being the worst. If I want sleds to perform decently I have to change plugs at 500 miles or less. In the beginning around 250 for the 09. My question has anybody else had this experience ? If so were u able to cure it, other than buying a new sled? I know a lot of people premix and I have considered doing this. The ? is has anyone gone to premixing and seen the life of plugs increase dramatically, to 1500 or even 1000. Or?

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Wow, 4,000 miles on my 09 and i changed the plugs at 2,600 miles just because. No difference in running.
My oil ratio was 28:1 with stock injection. Legends ZX2 SR from day one.

Mountain Cat

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
I had an 07, 08 and an ‘11. Kept all until about 2300 miles, except the 08 had about 1200 miles. Not one plug issue, didn’t even need to be pulled out to look.
No mods

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mr. BB

Premium Member
Sep 7, 2009
I had an 07, 08 and an ‘11. Kept all until about 2300 miles, except the 08 had about 1200 miles. Not one plug issue, didn’t even need to be pulled out to look.
No mods

Were u using arctic oil or?

Mr. BB

Premium Member
Sep 7, 2009
Sleds bought new? Mods? Poor air/fuel ratio is usually the problem.

I bought both sleds brand new. I put a slp intake boot on both, but I might add had problem before doing this. Only mod to 07. 09 is ported , Rkt head ,slp can and pipe with fuel controller. I've always thought it was just lousy fuel mapping. Put a new oil pump on and adjusted ratio to 40:1. Also installed a fuel pressure regulator. Checked to see if ecu and injectors matched. Maybe I'm to fussy. Where I really notice it is after reaching the bottom of a hill and getting back on the throttle it will be pretty blubbery until it clears out and it gets worse over time until I finally put in new plugs. Plugs are fairly inexpensive compared to lot of other parts. Well I guess it just bugs me. My stock 07 will hang right with stock 011 in a drag which really surprised me, but still goes thru plugs to often for my liking. Sounds like I got a couple of lemons. Some guys swear by a 50:1 ratio, but I'm skeptical of trying that, I'll just live with fouling plugs I suppose. OR go to legends zx2sr as an experiment if nothing else, seems to be the oil of choice by those in the know.

Last edited:

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Were u using arctic oil or?

I’ve used Arctic Cat APV since I started riding. In the beginning for warranty, now really out of habit and sometimes it’s fun to share when my Polaris riding friends forget.

sledhead685

Premium Member
Jan 12, 2012
Laramie
Is the oil pump linkage sticking? My 09 was doing that and I fixed it with the Oring trick. I remember there being lots of info on it here with some searching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
Make sure the barometric tube coming out of the ECU is pointing down and not filling up with water or snow that'll change the mapping

Premium Features