• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

19/43 or 19/45 gearing on 11 pro rmk 800 163"

S

snopromod

Nov 30, 2008
wy
I am a very aggressive tree rider that likes to ride deep steep drainages. What gearing combo would you guys recommend to get front end to dance on the steep hills?

Also does anyone out there have a 43 tooth or 45 tooth bottom gear and 74 link chain to buy?

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
a gear down will move you in the right direction but honestly to make the
gear down work the best some clutching changes are a good idea
look to some of the clutching gurus on here for info
like TRS or Winterbrew or MDS

i like my 20/46 with TRS clutching :face-icon-small-hap
(if chain and gear costs are pressing the pocket book then my advise is no help ha ha ha :face-icon-small-win)

S

snopromod

Nov 30, 2008
wy
Yes money does come into play. I am about 350 rpm flat right now in deep snow. I'm running 19/42 gearing right now. Stock helix and black team spring 155/222 . I know a spring will help like a black/ purple 160/240or black/white 160/260
But really looking for good advise on those gear ratios.
Also I like where my primary is at on engagement and rev's quick. Just need help on secondary and gearing from some one who unloads in the trees and never leaves till day is done.

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
how do your clutches feel after working them in the trees for awhile ?
if you go stiffer secondary spring it will help in somways hinder in others
you say your happy with your primary but your "flat on 350 rpm in deep snow " ?

as in it starts to fade and won't backshift in a climb ?
or you never hit your target rpm ?

Last edited:

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
murph are you running stock clutching with that gearing ?
i'm thinking he's got somthing not working right to have such a rpm loss in deep snow that should'nt happen WY snow should be like angel dust compared to Sierra cement or Oregon boiler plate :face-icon-small-win
and i'm don't see that kind of rpm change a good clutching setup and your rpm should be very consistent in a wide range of conditions

S

snopromod

Nov 30, 2008
wy
Wellfed yes it seems to hit 8050 then just isn't back shifting seems to fall even more on a deep steep sidehill
If I put the black/purple secondary spring in it I would be right at polaris recommendation for my altitude. I run on a good hard pull in deep powder about 7950. It hits hard to 8100 or 8050 but then seems to fade a bit

S

snopromod

Nov 30, 2008
wy
Even if I had it running 8200 I would still want it to be more aggressive and snappy. So I figured by the time I gear down it would be raising rpms anyway then I could chase it from there

J
Aug 22, 2009
change the motor to have a fix it kit and head. I have a 11 162 and geared it down to no help. the problem is the motor is junk and needs help. I went through 3 motors under warranty with different problems prior to the fix it kit and having higher compression seems to be the ticket with a little gear down. The stock motors dont maintain compression and that is what I fought and you are as well.
Good luck

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
change the motor to have a fix it kit and head. I have a 11 162 and geared it down to no help. the problem is the motor is junk and needs help. I went through 3 motors under warranty with different problems prior to the fix it kit and having higher compression seems to be the ticket with a little gear down. The stock motors dont maintain compression and that is what I fought and you are as well.

Good luck

This one has a newer motor in it.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
60-40-.32 helix
Same spring
19-45 gearing

Higher initial rpm and then fade is often.

Lack of ability for the secondary to grip the belt at lower speeds.....
Small amounts of snow dust hitting the clutches?

Flaked piston ring coating. :)
( have seen this happen with <500 miles on factory tolerance motors)

Last edited:
S

snopromod

Nov 30, 2008
wy
No flaking, pulled motor and measured everything this fall.
I appreciate the opinions guys. It's not motor related at all.

Just looking for someone who might have some gears laying around they may want to sell from back in the chaincase days?
And if you guys that did gear down, if you liked it, was it aggressive?
I don't want this to turn into a motor issue thread, again motor is not the problem. Thanks

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
snopromod
try the blk/purple the blk/white is too stiff in my opinon
cheap test $20-$25 for a spring
now i'm curious what evl. are you running and what gram weights you got in the primary ?
yes a little fade is normal i guess especially if its super deep and or a long pull or back to back pulls but once it starts to fade very much you slip into the land of no return
i've seen and been on sleds with clutching and gearing setups that have almost no fade so i know its possible
what kinda shape are your clutches in how many miles on the internals and the springs ?
with 19/42 your at 2.21 gearing i don't think 19/43 would be worth it 19/45 is more where you gonna want to be
for trees good steep and deep gearing seems to be 2.3-2.4
the funny thing is you can try the blk/purple spring and or gear to 19/45 and then you might want the
softer spring back in for better upshift ? ( if you go too stiff in the secondary they just stay in low gear and won't upshift and then you don't get any good track speed )
let us know what you try
thanks

Last edited:
Premium Features