• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Pipe temp sensor

bgraff1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Lloydminster, Alberta
What affect does the pipe temp sensor actually have on the sled? I've had the engine code for bad sensor for 2+ years and haven't noticed anything different. I was hoping to install an o2 sensor in my SLP pipe for my auto tune setup. Can I just install a resistor for the temp sensor and use the existing port? Also does anybody know if an o2 sensor would fit that port? Nowhere near my sled to even look

tadder52

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2012
Northern MN
The pipe sensor is a thermocouple that helps the fueling of the sled. You are dropping a little power even if you aren't noticing it. Most likely your sensor itself is good. It's likely the connection between the sensor and the harness. Cut out the connection and solder the wires together and you shouldn't have anymore issues with the sensor.

Don't know if an O2 sensor will fit or not. I would cut a hole in the pipe/shield and weld a bung.

bgraff1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Lloydminster, Alberta
I should mention I tried another sensor and it didn't fix the issue. didn't look further than that because I didn't notice any power changes

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
O2 sensor size was different on the M1000 I put one on. The M1000 and M8 sensors look the same size to me so probably won't fit.

I
Sep 23, 2016
The sensor gets and egt reading and sends a signal to the comp via ohms letting it know how the sled is running so it knows what kind of timing to give it. I wired 2 330ohm 1/2watt resistors into mine, essentially saying I always got perfect egts so its giving it its normal timing map

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
Its a safety feature to detune the sled until the pipe and engine are warmed up to a certain temp. Once that temp is reached the ECU leans up and adds timing. You are likely down on power and just don't notice it. Also replacing with a resistor works but you run the risk of a cold seize if you aren't warmed up and the sled thinks it can pull fuel and let her rip. I usually pack a resistor version in case mine goes bad on the hill to keep riding but replace with new once I'm home. Pretty cheap part really, especially if you use the duramax one.

A
Oct 20, 2017
mine went bad, does anyone have the part number or the truck model and year to get the chevy replacement? is it a direct plug and play or need to use the old connector?

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
GM #12643246 I believe
And I’ve been told on the proclimb it is the same connector.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Plugs right in
5b889b418833bf43517c3418f52af73b.jpg

Mountain Cat

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
you may not notice the power change of the temp sensor because it doesn't drop power so much as it doesn't add power on a long pull of 30 seconds or so...i've done many dyno pulls with different m-8's, and at the 30-35 second time, the sled will actually make power to about 4-5 hp.....most time the code you are talking about is due to the wire coming from the temp sensor being broken...soldered them back together several times, never had problems after that..:face-icon-small-win

Premium Features