• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Evaluate my pistons/rings/cylinders please

A
Mar 14, 2011
Saskatoon, SK
Hi all, looking for advice. This is my 2016 Axys RMK 163x3 800 with about 1400miles on it. The engine and exhaust has been left stock.

Please take a look at these photos looking into the exhaust ports and tell me if anything looks concerning. Anything that would justify doing a top end.

Also, if I were to do a top end, why are there different part numbers for the 2016 pistons and rings VS the 2018 pistons and rings? Which should I buy?

Link to photos (about 80MB)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1cRv9u4V2Bdmw-md1yHGa77dYvBIgm2Xb

Last edited:

snoballssnoglory

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2008
Guessing there are no replies b/c of the google link. I can’t see the pics in my phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J

jhurkot

Nov 26, 2007
Revelstoke, BC
125 is pretty good. Is the warranty finished?

While you’re there have a look at the reeds. I’ve had a petal go through the engine and trash a cylinder.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
125 is pretty good. Is the warranty finished?

While you’re there have a look at the reeds. I’ve had a petal go through the engine and trash a cylinder.

Agree. The decision to go deeper is subjective to a lot of variables. How hard you ride, where you ride, chopper needed for breakdowns, time between rides if you do breakdown? Friendship loss for being the guy?

These motors are extremely hard on rings. The piston skirts still collapse on these pistons but PI finally found the right combination with the thickness.

Sometimes pulling the Y-pipe just leads to more questions. Looking at your pics, I don’t like the wear between the transfer ports. There is such a small surface area there that I have seen where that leads to more wear and cracks. Some engine builders will tell you not to worry about it after you’ve installed their pistons and find it in 300 miles. Not me. This is from the ends of the rings and locator pins chewing into the bore. Cleaning and polishing these ports is a must.

I rebuilt a ‘16 with about 600 miles last year that was low on RPM. I installed a MTNTK Fix Kit in it and R’s came right back and the guy had to jump up 2 more grams of weight.

You could probably run it but if it were mine, I’d be throwing a Fix Kit on it.

MKULTRA

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2015
quebec, canada
where that 15hp number is coming from?

if you lost 15hp you probably dont need other opinion if your need a rebuild, just do it

Premium Features