• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Black Hills Snow Conditions 2

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Time to start a new BH conditions thread. Too bad I cannot give out some real good news at this time. Only around an inch of new snow around Trailshead and Hardy Camp. A little more to the South and East. Most new snow I have seen besides the 6 inches in my back yard in Hot Springs is around 4 inches in the Crooks Tower area. Not enough new snow to restart grooming operations yet. Chances of 1-2 inches snow tomorrow. No warm weather in the near future.

starrsleds

Premium Member
Oct 18, 2008
Any fresh stuff out there Duane? Headed out this weekend regardless but just hoping for a bit of good news

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
I have not been up since last Friday. I have been tied up in training and meetings. I will be up tomorrow thru the weekend. It looks like there has been a few shots of snow througout the week. inch or two here and there. Groomers went out once this week to clean up some trails. Steve stop by Black Fox Sunday at noon. We have a club ride and hot dog cookout. I plan on riding the liquid Chap. Also bringing my Daughters boyfreind who grew up in Florida and has never rode a snowmobile.

starrsleds

Premium Member
Oct 18, 2008
I have not been up since last Friday. I have been tied up in training and meetings. I will be up tomorrow thru the weekend. It looks like there has been a few shots of snow througout the week. inch or two here and there. Groomers went out once this week to clean up some trails. Steve stop by Black Fox Sunday at noon. We have a club ride and hot dog cookout. I plan on riding the liquid Chap. Also bringing my Daughters boyfreind who grew up in Florida and has never rode a snowmobile.

Sounds like a great time we will for sure try to make it there! Thanks Duane for the invite! Should be interesting breaking in the daughters boyfriend!

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO

And you didn't want to come hang out at the Sturgis career fair and represent the GF&P? boo

It snowed for at least a little while here in Sturgis so perhaps they got more up the hill? :juggle:

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Conditions are tough unless you know where to go and how to bypass the numerous bad spots especially on the trails. There is some decent snow if you know where to look. Took my daughter and her boyfreind out riding. The boyfreind is from Florida and is stationed at Ellsworth airforce base. He has operated many different vehicles and watercraft and has riddin in F-16 fighter jets and figured ridding snowmobile would be a piece of cake, WRONG, the snowmobile kicked his behind and he commented the snowmobile was the hardest vehicle he has ever operated. Even after losing his lunch getting unstuck he is ready for the next ride. We did a easy ride today and I rode the Chaparral. Got the Chaparral up to 80 today.

20170304_154818.jpg 20170305_102226.jpg

RedBeard

Premium Member
Nov 17, 2009
Northshore Lake Superior, MN
How are things looking in the Lead area for next week? 3-13 though the 16th? Looking to go somewhere, Black Hills/Trailshead was the preferred place, but unless I hear something different, may have to go to the Snowies instead. Thanks!

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
How are things looking in the Lead area for next week? 3-13 though the 16th? Looking to go somewhere, Black Hills/Trailshead was the preferred place, but unless I hear something different, may have to go to the Snowies instead. Thanks!

Right now conditions are not good. There are areas to ride but you have to be very knowledgable in the area on and off trail to keep you in the snow and get to the better areas. They did get 2-3 inches this week with a little more predicted by the weekend. If your traveling a distance I would go farther West.

S

snox8

Nov 28, 2007
Watertown SD
conditions

is the trail riding good at all? taking some new riders and my kids wondering if it is worth taking the sleds or not?

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
is the trail riding good at all? taking some new riders and my kids wondering if it is worth taking the sleds or not?

There are trail sections that are still good. The problem is getting to those sections and in between the bad spots. The good spots are good and the bad spots are really bad. You are very limited as to where you can go and some good trail sections can only be accessed by taking off trail routes. The 4-5 inches of heavy wet snow today would have helped some but the warm temps by next weekend will probably melt the new stuff on the bad sections since they are bare and have no base to hold the new snow.

moonshiner

Lifetime Membership
Jan 13, 2008
Yankton, SD
Stick a fork in it, this season is over, Thunder and pouring rain on the video from Deer Mountain this morning.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
I am officially calling this season over, done for, history. I was up to Hardy on Saturday. I did not ride. Saw plenty of motorcycles and convertables drive by, no snowmobiles. Worked at the lake today. 80 degrees with people on the beach and jet skiis running across the lake. I still have to go back to Hardy next week to clean the cabin, store my stuff and bring home my last sled. The prverbial 4 foot spring storm can happen but that is only reserved for us locals. Ended up with 3650 miles on my patrol sled with an additional 100 miles on our spare last weekend while mine was in the shop getting new hifax and rails (did not check them soon enough, my bad). I still have a trip to either Big Horns or Snowies the first of April.

Premium Features