• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

High fuel consumption

R
Jan 5, 2008
Billings MT
I have an 04 800 rev with a 159 that seems to be using way too much fuel. Out of gas at 41 miles. Riding was pretty easy not much powder just kind of an easy day. Seems like I should get more than that. Tank seemed full but it wasn't empty when I filled up so can't be sure. (possible air bubble). Motor is rebuilt a few rides ago, sled sat for all of last winter cleaned carbs seems to be running ok. Might have been a little rich but didn't foul any plugs. Thinking the dpm might need replaced/cleaned. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks Bill

R
Jan 5, 2008
Billings MT
Can you clean and reassemble the DPM or do I need to just get a new one. I know that I can test the solenoid with a 9v. On a side note the tach quit working on the way in, would that have any effect on the operation of the DPM? The gauges have acted kind of strange for a while but they finally quit on this ride.

eddy

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
Sammamish WA
Economy

Old gas uses up way faster than fresh gas. Check DPM hoses and check DPM solenoid operation per the factory manual. Carb inlet valves could be tired. Can of Sea Foam would not hurt.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
All the revs would run out of gas going downhill. I would just drag them around, so they were facing uphill, and fire them up. Then drag them sideways and go. They always had 2 or 3 gallons that you couldn't get out of them

R
Jan 5, 2008
Billings MT
Pulled dpm off and checked it, appears to be clean and working properly. Will check the solenoid today as I couldn't find a 9v battery. Pulled the reed valves out, they look to be in good condition. No cracks or chips in them. I did notice that the airbox sensor was unplugged (I might have forgot to plug it in last time I had the carbs out). Im guessing that is probably the reason the DPM was not working correctly. What do you guys think? Thanks for all the input guys.

B
Sep 24, 2009
Yakima Wa
40 miles is about right on an 04 if your in the throttle a lot. I had many days like that. I always carried extra fuel if it was deep. Some things that might help: Make sure your track isn't to tight, check bearings in rear susp, good belt, clean clutches, good bushings, rollers & ramps in clutches, clickers set for correct rpm. A new set of plugs might help. Gauge issue is probably a bad relay.

R
Jan 5, 2008
Billings MT
40 miles is about right on an 04 if your in the throttle a lot. I had many days like that. I always carried extra fuel if it was deep. Some things that might help: Make sure your track isn't to tight, check bearings in rear susp, good belt, clean clutches, good bushings, rollers & ramps in clutches, clickers set for correct rpm. A new set of plugs might help. Gauge issue is probably a bad relay.

It was a pretty easy day. It just started doing this so it something new. I run exovert drivers so I know the track isn't too tight, clutches were gone through recently. Will check the suspension for bearing issues, probably could use a new belt.

R
Jan 5, 2008
Billings MT
So I replaced all the vacuum lines on the dpm, checked the solenoid. (It worked). Checked the reeds they looked ok. Put it all back together making sure I plugged the air box sensor back in. Went riding yesterday put on 41 miles in Cooke city. Loaded sled back up setting between 1/4 and 1/2 tank closer to 1/4. Definitely made a difference on how it ran too. The gauge isssue was caused by the speedometer plug falling out. I must have been in a big hurry last time I had it apart. Anyway all is well now. Thanks for all the input and advice!

Ps. the snow in Cooke is tracked up cement.

Premium Features