• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Slow to rev and spool, Bad clutch bushings?

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Hi guys so Ive got a 06 apex, and I started to notice lately, mainly last winter that the sled would become super slow to spool, more so as the day went on like everything warmed up. Well the sled had the 16T turbo so this year I decided to upgrade it to the 19T. However the issue of slow spool is still there, Exhaust wise It has some leakage but it still holds enough pressure that the sled idles down and almost dies, not completely dies though.

I noticed on my last right out, when I hit the throttle, my rpms will fairly quickly climb to approx 6k or so but then stick, when it's there it appears I have about ~4=5# of boost as well like the turbo is responding pretty good, but then it takes a couple seconds for it to finally rev out and then its balls to the walls. So how the sled is right now, I go wide open, count to probably 3 or 4 :( and then it hits like a freight train.

I know my secondary Is OK as I had to deal with it last year however my primary I know has a little slop to it for sure and it's probably much worse. I wonder if its binding and then kinda breaking free once it gets enough boost to force it through, Does that seem likely?

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Any vacuum leaks by the intercooler? rear mount? 19t will be a little slower than your 16t was. I had similar issues with my rx1 was a sensing line up front. But that had carbs.
Thanks for the reply. I was thinking I don't have any leaks due to what I had looked over a couple weeks ago but It's possible, I'll build a plug so I can pressure up the system. Its a rear mount apex.

Last edited:

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
I talked to another guy and he figures a boost leak, so I'm gonna try and check anyways, I feel confident there shouldn't be but I guess you just never know!

up-high

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta Canada
Check the exhaust bellows? Take a piece of abs that fits over the intake tube and melt an air fitting into a cap. Put 15 lbs of air pressure to it and start looking for leaks from front to back. I bought an Apex that wouldn't make boost. Found out later the seller thought the motor was shot. Did leak test and found that when he put the Boss seat on he drilled into the charge tube. When the rivets got loose no boost. He kept adjusting the rod to get more boost. When I took it for a ride, I saw 25 lbs before it flipped over backwards on me. Also check the actuator rod isn't sticking.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Alright guys I had a couple boost leaks lol... Apparently screw driver tight isn't tight enough! I put 20 psi in and right at the turbo she was blowing semi good, then 2nd up, right where I slip the intercooler up into the tube from tunnel/intercooler.

Now 3rd up.... Not as bad as the others... I'm not sure what to do... Is at the end of my throttle body! Where the rod exits the side of the throttle body on oil tank side she's peeing a bunch there.... And that appears to be the final leak, question is, can I fix it. I see a c-clip, maybe there's a o ring in there to replace? Or maybe they are some bushing? Non serviceable? Should I worry about that one or?? Lol... Is it Not meant to be air tight? Hmm... Any ideas?

I also see my flange at turbo inlet on exhaust is leaking a bit, it supposed to be the self sealing flange but I see that's not happy... Maybe some exhaust cement will help lol...

As far as making a tester, it was actually easy, I'm lazy so yeah I got a pvc pipe cap, took off my air filter, popped it in with, a fitting in the cap and pressured up, Im not sure why I never did it before....

Also I know my actuator/rod is good and not sticking, I did have the turbo rebuilt, and my flap was half seized, so I managed to get life back into it and haha be checked it again, still moves freely like new

Last edited:

sledfvr

Lifetime Membership
Apr 7, 2008
NW MT
Alright guys I had a couple boost leaks lol... Apparently screw driver tight isn't tight enough! I put 20 psi in and right at the turbo she was blowing semi good, then 2nd up, right where I slip the intercooler up into the tube from tunnel/intercooler.

Now 3rd up.... Not as bad as the others... I'm not sure what to do... Is at the end of my throttle body! Where the rod exits the side of the throttle body on oil tank side she's peeing a bunch there.... And that appears to be the final leak, question is, can I fix it. I see a c-clip, maybe there's a o ring in there to replace? Or maybe they are some bushing? Non serviceable? Should I worry about that one or?? Lol... Is it Not meant to be air tight? Hmm... Any ideas?

I also see my flange at turbo inlet on exhaust is leaking a bit, it supposed to be the self sealing flange but I see that's not happy... Maybe some exhaust cement will help lol...

As far as making a tester, it was actually easy, I'm lazy so yeah I got a pvc pipe cap, took off my air filter, popped it in with, a fitting in the cap and pressured up, Im not sure why I never did it before....

Also I know my actuator/rod is good and not sticking, I did have the turbo rebuilt, and my flap was half seized, so I managed to get life back into it and haha be checked it again, still moves freely like new

Don't worry about the throttle bodies, mine have always leaked a little bit there.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Don't worry about the throttle bodies, mine have always leaked a little bit there.

Good to know. I finally got out today, and for a better bit of 3/4 the ride the sled was probably the most responsive it's ever been. Then I started to notice lag, not as much as before but it started to miss behave again. So a quick peak at home and it appears my diy exhaust gasket is leaking a tad. not as bad as before but still... Another leak. I'm going to re-check for boost leakhopefully it's a clamp that loosened.

Premium Features