• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

peak 2.5

colorado_matt

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
COLORADO
I ran one on my pro rmk for 400 or so miles. During this time, my sled was bone stock power wise. I ride 9000-12000 feet elevation. Snow for most of that was very light and soft. The track in new condition digs like crazy through that soft snow. My track speed was around 31 mph while making a hard sidehill where I was wot, and barely moving. If there was a base to get ahold of, that track would do it and hook up extremely well. I ended up taking it off due to a lot of tares in the lugs(self inflicted abuse). The track did not 'break in' as I anticipated. After conversations with multiple people, including one of camoplasts head testers and developers, we came to the conclusion that my sled setup and the light fluffy snow that I'm fortunate to ride in didn't allow the track lugs to properly shape as the should for ultimate flotation and efficiency. It takes hp to turn this track fast enough to attain its full benefits and my sled wasn't achieving that.

Now my sled is turbod and making a solid 200 horse at 12000 feet of elevation. I have another peak track that I will be using for the first time this weekend. We are supposed to get 20-30 inches of n3w snow, so I should be able to give a good evaluation ......

WaBackcountry

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Orondo, WA
No first hand experience but I have not heard particularly good things here im Washington. Not bad climbing but scary downhills. I run a CE and have always loved them.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I rode mark hoffman's new cmx with a 16 wide peak track. Awesome sled. I forgot about the track. I was too busy seeing how his new front end kit worked and seeing how it tipped over compared to my t-pro. Anyone know the weight difference between the peak and 5.1? The snow was aweful so I didn't want to get too carried away with a 30ish thousand dollar sled.

C

carlc

Jan 23, 2008
helena mt
i pulled my powerclaw and put a peak on. I absolutely love it. I think it has good downhill manners, and I also think it works great in bottomless fluff and in heavy wet spring stuff. Its not so good on ice or real hard pack, but what good powder track is? I would buy another one

mikew5945

Lifetime Membership
Aug 30, 2009
SW Montana
I rode mark hoffman's new cmx with a 16 wide peak track. Awesome sled. I forgot about the track. I was too busy seeing how his new front end kit worked and seeing how it tipped over compared to my t-pro. Anyone know the weight difference between the peak and 5.1? The snow was aweful so I didn't want to get too carried away with a 30ish thousand dollar sled.

Thanks for the help that day.
Mike

colorado_matt

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
COLORADO
I've got 4 rides on my new peak track in two different snow conditions. The first 2 days were on frozen spring snow with 16 inches of fluffy new on top. Where I saw the biggest difference compared to others with the stock track and powerclaw that were on the sleds I was riding with, was slow going stop and go sidehilling. With the peak, I felt in complete control and had minimal spin. The others were having problems washing out and spinning until they spun enough to break through the top layer.

The next 2 rides were in 50+ degree weather with soft, heavy, wet snow. Traction was awesome. I was concerned with ski lift, but never had an issue, even on a few really steep climbs(thanks to a great rear suspension). I set my gopro up on my handlebars to watch my boost, temps, rpm, and track speed on a big climb. Track speed was 59 mph up the climb until I let off at the top. Ah the joy of a good running turbo. At this speed, the track performs much better than at the 31 mph I was achieving with stock power.

So far, the peak is working very well with my current sled setup. I'm really hoping for at least one more deep day to see how it performs.

Premium Features