• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

99, 700 water pump belt slipped off.

N
All of a sudden my rad cap pop's off and spews coolent out. Thought maybe it was caused by jumping off snow banks on to the road. I filled up res. and ran. Temp light. filled up agian. Temp light. finally figured that the pump was not flowing. 10 mm and the cover was off to see the water pump belt just came off. didd'nt break, just slipped off. What the hell!

Is this common? Why would it just slip off. We were in super dep pow and it was working pretty hard, but this has never happened before. Anyone had this happen?

rmkboxer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Bonney lake WA
does the waterpump wobble? or the bolts coming loos on the flywheel. the only things I can think of, never seen that before

N
Nothing is loose. The really weird part that I did not mention was that my friend had the same thing happend on his 98' 700 about 10 min. after mine happend. We were both scratchin our heads. What are those chances?

I wonder if the conditions had something to do with it. Nothing out of the ordinary, just deep powder. We were jumping the road burms pretty big but landing in pow so it was'nt like we were slamming. I am going to have a hard time trusting this from here on out.

B
Feb 13, 2008
I had one come off when a piece of the pull rope frayed off and then found it's way over to the gear area. I would guess debris got where it shouldnt have and caused this.

N
I took it out this morning using the same belt and it was all good until I started bouncing around through the powder. The temp light, and I knew it came off agian.

New belt is on order and I'll just always pack the tools to do the fix. (Should anyways). I hate this set up. Although, I've plugged the oil to the carbs and run pre mix, so at least I can inch her home if I have to.

Premium Features