• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

First Timers Primary Clutch Update & Report (800r '07)

B
Dec 16, 2007
Mammoth Lakes, CA
www.pbase.com
For quite some time I've been weary of messing with the clutching on my sled, the entire principle of a centrifugal clutch baffled me, as much as I wanted to learn clutching so I can make repairs and adjustments on my own I've always been a bit stand offish and not willing to make that leap (especially during the riding season). After watching Video, after video (Thanks Joe!) and harassing many of you here on snowest, (Thanks t-rev8, Winter Brew, and Team-Ind) I finally attempted it, and while I haven't been out on a ride with the newly updated clutch yet.(fingers crossed). I found all my worries and fears to be utterly unfounded, it really is as simple as Joe makes it look in the vids!

Please feel free to comment, or ad any tips and advice. I do have a couple questions I will pose at the end.

Getting started (removed the bevel and separated the secondary to remove the belt)

118947755.jpg

I wasn't unable to split the sheaves via the rubber mallet method, and ended up having to use a clutch puller, and clutch holder to pop off the primary. I also had to use a breaker bar to get it to pop it took quite a bit of force. Be careful when doing this as it popped off with such force it almost bounced off the trailer onto the floor (luckily I caught it!)

118947760.jpg

Here is the primary clutch removed as one piece & the breaker (roll bar tubing from the '69)

118947765.jpg

Before attempting to separate the sheaves I marked them all with a marksalot to make sure I realigned them correct on re-assembly.

118947770.jpg

Separating the sheaves wasn't coming along very easy I was whacking on the puller with a hammer but no dice. Thanks to a tip I heard from Joe (via his videos on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92C7CZuHe2I) I soaked the clutch in hot water.

118947768.jpg

After heating it up, a couple wacks later with my trusty hammer and poof we were apart!

118947771.jpg

I purchased some button retainers from team. The first time separating the movable sheave thingy, it's a little tricky as it doesn't pull up even.. (luckily popping the buttons back on and locking them in place with the retainers is pretty simple if you accidentally pull one side higher then expected before you get the retainers on..

118947773.jpg

Here she is all apart
118947775.jpg

118947777.jpg

I had picked up a set of team ramps, 415's but I didn't realise until disambling my clutch that I already had 415's stock. I am unsure weather to swap them with the lighter team ramps or return them since they are both the same spec outside of being the team ramps being slightly lighter

118947780.jpg

118947782.jpg

I then went a head and pulled the Cap for the main spring (I marked it to make sure it aligned correctly on re-assembly (sorry not shown). I used my homemade spring compressor to do this task.

Here is the new spring (Yellow & Almond Team) compared to the stock. The new spring felt a fair bit stiffer.

118947785.jpg

After placing in the new spring, I used my compressor to clamp it all down and make sure the marks line up!

118947789.jpg

I then resembled the sheave.. the retainers pop off when you depress it. I made sure all the arms could swing freely after re-assembly by checking under with my fingers and popping them up and down to check for binding.

118947791.jpg

and here is the clutch all back together ready to be reinstalled on the crank. I will torque it to 70lbs

118947793.jpg

Other things I did that aren't shown was I removed the Pin weights I was going to do this with the stock parts to drop it down to 10.5 but one of the weights was jammed and stripped out, so instead I opt'd to empty a set of 13.8s I had from Team which felt lighter then the stock counter parts with the weights in place (my only other option at the time) I will be ordering up a set of the 10.5-16g adjustable pin weights and replacing the 13.8s with them set to around 11 or so as per joes suggestion hopefully later in the week.

on a side note if disassembling your clutch in the kitchen and you happen to drop something.. chances are it's under the stove!

Last edited:
C

cookie-eater

Dec 4, 2007
Really nice post. Good detail. I remember taking apart my clutch for the first time. Thank goodness Slim (Idaho Slim) was there to do it with me so I could learn how.

Tree Boss

Lifetime Membership
Jan 11, 2009
Franklin County ID
I was lucky enough to do mine at the ski-doo dealership where I bought my sled from and he helped me when I had problems!!

Great post!!!!

S
Oct 19, 2009
Nice Job! Not so bad after doing. Why did you not change the rollers, since you where in their? Do you plan on changing them when you change the pins and weights? It is easy i just got done changing mine. Good luck

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Is there a torque spec when re-installing the secondary? Or just snug it up good? Looked through the manuals and only see primary torque specs

B
Dec 16, 2007
Mammoth Lakes, CA
www.pbase.com
Nice Job! Not so bad after doing. Why did you not change the rollers, since you where in their? Do you plan on changing them when you change the pins and weights? It is easy i just got done changing mine. Good luck

I replaced the rollers in the spring (well the dealer did) when we did the updates, but I might as well change them when I do the pin weights. Not a bad idea, they aren't pricey and it's a pretty easy swap.

B
Dec 16, 2007
Mammoth Lakes, CA
www.pbase.com
Is there a torque spec when re-installing the secondary? Or just snug it up good? Looked through the manuals and only see primary torque specs

I wasn't able to find one either, I just put it on there snug and checked it the after a ride for the secondary, The torque spec on the primary was huge though it took alot of effort to get that tighten I ended up taking the break and looking in my A-ARM as I was worried about how far the plastic was bending.

R
Nov 27, 2007
Cantaffordus, WA
www.mbhc.net
Another tip on separating the primary halves...leave the clutch removal bolt in and flip the clutch upside down and drop from about 6" onto the bolt on a hard surface (concrete) while keeping your hands around and underneath the sliding half. If you do this a few times it usually separates and I have never had a problem "catching" it.

Rt

Premium Features