• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

West Big Hole snowmobiling-"managing snowmobiling"

M
Oct 1, 2002
Montana
If you want info directly from the Forest Service about what is happening with "managing" snowmobiling in the Upper Big Hole-here's your chance to get first hand info!
Some areas closed March 23rd under newly announced plan, some remain open-but for how long?

Big Hole snowmobiling topic of Friday forum
By The Montana Standard Staff - 03/30/2009

WISDOM - The Forest Service Ranger District in Wisdom will host an Upper Big Hole Snowmobile Recreation Forum at 6:30 p.m. Friday, April 3, in the Wisdom Community Building.

The purpose of the forum is to foster open dialogue between the Forest Service and snowmobilers about the opportunities and challenges associated with managing snowmobiling activities in the Big Hole Valley.

"We'd like to offer time for discussion about wintertime recreation and how it is evolving in the Big Hole Valley from the past, to the present and into the future," said Russ Riebe, district ranger in Wisdom.

Questions will also be taken on the Beaverhead-Deerlodge Revised Forest Plan. Also, a survey will be given to snowmobilers willing to share personal experiences and preferences with regard to recreational use.

For details, call Riebe in Wisdom, 689-3243.

M
Oct 1, 2002
Montana
Thanks,,,but

Thanks,,,,but Sandy was the previous Montana SAWS rep and did a great job while she had time at that level of SAWS involvement.
Sandy is still quite involved with various snowmobile related issues and is a key person posting info having to do with avalanche info just no longer a SAWS rep.

montanasledder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2001
Butte Montana
Thanks Mtcatgirl. seen the article in the Montana Standard. bunch of us from Butte going to try and make it down there

M
Dec 16, 2007
montana
Kow i cant make it over there, but would like to send a letter or email if someone could get me an address. Have never rode over there so a little coaching on what is going on would be good to.

Thanks Cory

R
Nov 26, 2007
East Chester Idaho
They want us to share our stories huh? I've got a bunch growing up on the west side of the big-hole but I don't think they want to know how many coyotes we clubbed with our helmets riding our TX440's to school. It wasn't for fun either, when I was in 8th grade a good coyote would bring $200, that was a lot of money in 1983.

M
Oct 1, 2002
Montana
Anything beyond "sharing stories"

Just wondering how this meeting went-
Did any of you that attended get a sense of where the FS is headed with this?
Since the FS has a priority to "manage" motorized use due to the declaration that un-regulated motorized use is the biggest threat to the forest, there must be some direction with "regulating snowmobile use" beyond the huge restrictions already imposed with the BDNF Record of Decision.
The partnership still wants the entire West Big Hole declared wilderness through Congressional action.
Was clarification about the recommended wilderness area boundaries in the West Big Hole being closed to snowmobile and mechanized access provided?
Anything said about the Wilderness Study Areas?
or the
Continental Divide Trail (separate planning issue, I know)

What are coyotes bringing these days?

Last edited:
Premium Features