• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Brookings SD Lowdown

Z
Dec 5, 2007
Can any knowledgable snowesters fill me in on Brookings, SD? I have a decent offer to work there. I don't know a soul in the town other than the owner of the offering company.

Dec 20, 2007
Brookings SD
Brookings is a college town (SDSU) so it depends on your age for things to do. Some people say there is alot to do some say nothing to do. Sioux Falls is less than an hour away so people go there and seems like not alot of stuff comes here because of it. What kind of work are you looking at, where are you from,and how old are you. Seem like all I do is work (farm) and spend time with my family.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
I went to college in Brookings. I loved it there!!!!!!!

Yes, it is a college town. I loved it, seemed like the community embraced the college kids. IMO there is a lot to do around Brookings. Hunting, fishing, activities at the college... It is a very nice community .....

snow_knight

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Black Hills,SD
brookings is a pretty cool town.. great parties and nightlife.. not huge on crime from what i have seen or heard..

great hunting and fishing.. however.. its eastriver.. :eek:..

Z
Dec 5, 2007
I'm in my mid twenties, kinda past the college life style though, grew up in a small town in northern minnesota hunting, fishing, farming and raising hell. I really enjoy the country type of lifestyle. I have been working for a huge corporation in minneapolis and fargo nd for the past 5 years as an estimator/project manager. The company in brookings is a lot smaller, which is a plus.

Fosgate

Lifetime Membership
Mar 28, 2005
Rapid City, SD
Brookings is a decent town. Alot has changed in the last 15yrs for businesses. My girlfriends folks live up north of Flandru and her dad works at the campus. Georges Pizzaria rocks! You also closer to better hunting than I am. Closer to several lakes with better fishing and hunting. Better snow conditions than SF. (It was dry down here and up there they still had about 2ft of ridable snow). And if you ever want to get out Sioux Falls is right at a 50min drive at 80mph (75mph speed limit on interstate)

Oh, and it is East River...So your nearest neighbor is within 30miles. So you won't have the neighbor guy showing up asking you out to a party where there is going to be a little Drinking, little Frucking and a little fighting. And it's just the two of you. :)

Last edited:
S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
I'm in my mid twenties, kinda past the college life style though, grew up in a small town in northern minnesota hunting, fishing, farming and raising hell. I really enjoy the country type of lifestyle. I have been working for a huge corporation in minneapolis and fargo nd for the past 5 years as an estimator/project manager. The company in brookings is a lot smaller, which is a plus.

IMO... you would really enjoy Brookings or the surrounding area.

There is many opportunities for hunting and fishing. The hunting in the area hasnt become so commercialized, like in other parts of SD. In college we had no problems finding private land to hunt. We could hunt for almost two weeks and not hunt the same property. Lakes to fish in the area too.

Last edited:

Blu Du

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2008
Nisswa Mn.
is there alot of jobs in Sd. here in mn they have been advertising all over for the last 8 years move to sd less taxes good jobs on and on. the last 6 months you can here there advertisement at least 6 times a day on the radio. it can't be cheap for the ads.

xrated

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2004
Plainview, MN
is there alot of jobs in Sd. here in mn they have been advertising all over for the last 8 years move to sd less taxes good jobs on and on. the last 6 months you can here there advertisement at least 6 times a day on the radio. it can't be cheap for the ads.

man those dang adds have had me and the wife thinking more and more. I think I could get over not being so close to the north woods. Just wish we could sell the house....dang value has dropped since we bought 1.5 years ago.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD

Yes and no...

Things look a little tough in some areas and great in others. New homes and commercial buildings are still going up pretty quickly(in Sioux Falls area). That being said, there has been reports of some larger contractors going belly up.

Hutchinson Tech just closed down, that is a bunch of jobs lost... The medical industry is going crazy right now. They are going to be building a huge research center in the SW portion of town...

Everything appears to be growing here yet. I dont think we have been hit quit as hard. Unless you listen to the media.. they make a story out of anything here..

snow_knight

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Black Hills,SD
and noone in their right mind can figure out what would make a person want to live on the west side.

Noone??.. haha :eek:.. dang eastriver people... haha..

hey at least we are that much closer to riding.. ;).. ohh and we have hills..... and trees.... but not the fishing or waterfowl hunting so.. :rolleyes:

F
Feb 7, 2003
MN
brookings is a great place to live! yes its a college town but its much different than the college town i grew up in. there is so much to offer to everyone i see it as a minature sioux falls.
from a fellow rural minnesotan, i think you would really like it.
outlaw knows what he is talking about too, good advice. :D:beer;

Fosgate

Lifetime Membership
Mar 28, 2005
Rapid City, SD
I'm laid off right now and job postings look like wild kingdom. I've heard some positions over 100 applicants for 1 job in the white collar sector. I've also been searching the blue collar side and learned one place had 21 positions and 2800 applicants for them. KELO tv ran a story about 2-3 weeks ago stating 1 in 7 sioux falls residents are unemployed now. Don't know if it's true but I'm laid off, my brother and brother in law are both laid off. (Brother worked for Raven for 15yrs). My sister talks of possible lay off in her dept at Wells Fargo. Citi Bank and Wells have both announced restructure so you know that means more than likely layoffs coming. Bayliner plant in Pipestone closed, another 100 employees laid off up in Watertown, and other several smaller businesses that don't make it to the news affect the local job search. Wife of a friend was a mortgage underwriter (made over 180k per year) has applied for over 200 different jobs down to $30k and has only been able to get 1 interview which they told her she was overqualified.

Z
Nov 26, 2007
Sioux Falls, SD
First off who offered you a job? I went to college in Brookings and lived there for a few years working for Daktronics; I now live in Sioux Falls. I loved Brookings, it’s a great community with a lot to offer for its size. Some things you need to run to Sioux Falls for but its only 48 miles so its not a big deal. In the 6 years I went to school and lived there I never once locked my door or my car, never once had a problem. The cops can be dicks, but they usually take their anger out on the under 21 college crowd. My girlfriend got a job at Sanford in Sioux Falls and I was able to transfer to the Daktronics plant in Sioux Falls as well so that’s why we moved here. 100 miles a day commuting adds up, it was a hard decision to move though. I spent a lot of days skipping class and hunting so you should have no problem keeping busy there, many of the land owners in the area are really easy to work with if you respect their property. I know quite a bit about a number of employers in the town so I could give you a heads up there.

Dec 20, 2007
Brookings SD
We get reminded pretty quick it's a college town when opening weekend for pheasant, duck, goose and other seasons open.:D Gotta love the road hunter's usually get into it with someone shooting in the trees with cattle on the other side.:mad: Hard to believe not enough job's around but that doesn't seem to be a problem for some people.

Z
Dec 5, 2007
I don't know if there are a lot of job openings in the town, this oppurtunity presented itself through business relationships. The name of the company is GHP systems, you heard of them Zach. They seem like a pretty good outfit. Thanks for all the respones.

Z
Nov 26, 2007
Sioux Falls, SD
I don't know if there are a lot of job openings in the town, this oppurtunity presented itself through business relationships. The name of the company is GHP systems, you heard of them Zach. They seem like a pretty good outfit. Thanks for all the respones.

I have driven by their plant but dont know much about them. Im just glad you didnt say....well I'll keep names out of this, or a few other mid-sized manufacturing plants in Brookings. I know with this economy they are hurting to get orders and we are really looking into some new suppliers if quality can't improve on what we use now. Depending on your background Dak is almost always hiring some type of job from $7/hr up to $30.

Premium Features