• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2014 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Review

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
Of course! You can't improve mileage too much, the Feds are loosing fuel road tax dollars now due to improved mileage....so they say.

yet, they are the ones forcing the higher and higher fuel mileage standards every couple years.

D

Drewd

Feb 2, 2012
Colorado
www.imnotrightinthehead.com
You guys are missing the "boat" on the 3.0L ecodiesel......The real question is why would anyone buy a POS Italian VM Motori diesel design? I own a VM motori 2.8L 4 cylinder in my Jeep Liberty. The engine doesn't have a good reliability record and given this alone, I would never own another one again.

Now, if Dodge was to use a Mercedes 3.0L in its truck, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. That 3.0L V6 Turbodiesel made by Mercedes puts out (hot tuned) 442 ft-lbs torque in my wife's Jeep Grand Cherokee (2007 model) and is extremely reliable.

Good luck with any VM Motori diesel........

D

Drewd

Feb 2, 2012
Colorado
www.imnotrightinthehead.com
My wife had a diesel liberty for a while and never had any trouble. It even got better mileage than her subaru imprezza.

Well, did she put over 100k on the vehicle? go to www.lostjs.com/forum and read up on rocker arms failing, almost guaranted head gasket leak at 100k, and other issues that spell disaster for the 2.8L

I live and breathe diesels and know what I'm talking about, the 2.8L VM n the Liberty is a POS and the only way to get decent service out of it is to buy a $500 tune to disable the EGR and run a non-oem approved viscosity. I won't even discuss the 545RFE torque converter that is guaranteed to fail because it can't handle 335 ft-lbs torque off of idle speed (Yes, have a GDE tune on my Liberty to make it more reliable)

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
You guys quoting fuel milage from 2000-2010 era one tons are living in the past. Those days are gone. The new cow piss trucks don't get anywhere the milage of the old trucks. And it's getting tougher and tougher to remove the emissions from them. First is the legal problems, and even finding aftermarket parts as the epa is cracking down on them. Fact is you can't get the milage or hp out of a diesel now that you could 10 years ago.

Likewise, Enter the modern gas motors. I recently went from gas to diesel myself. I went from a 7.3l F350cclb to a 2011 F350 cclb with a 6.2 gas motor. The replacement for the v-10. Man. What a sweet motor. Like mule was trying to say above, I give up about 4mpg empty to my diesel that had all the typical mods. And about 2 mpg when load with a 9k lb trailer. The new 6.2 gas motor will pull circles around what my old diesel would pull. I don't miss it a bit. $8k cheaper up front. Less $$$per mile in fuel. (diesel is ,50 a gallon more than gas here) no 14qt oil changes. No stink. No running circles around the gas station to fuel both the truck and toys. No worrying if it will start when cold ect ect ect.

Times have changed. The gas motors have gotten much much better. Epa is choking all the benefits out of the diesels. I work up north on the slope. The new diesels are a joke up there. When we hit a cold snap (-50 to -60* far ambient) all the new cow piss diesels are dead in the water. This includes our Kenworths. They all plug up the exhaust filters and it takes a shop to remove the filters, change them out, AND RESET THE COMPUTERS WITH THEIR COMPUTERS. Something that you cannot do yourself in a parking lot, side of the road or in your own heated shop. The tide has turned.

Gm's 6.2 with the drop cylinder technogoly in the 1/2 tons will be amazing for you folks looking for little trucks. Insane power and great milage. I can't imagine a legal diesel motor that can compete with it.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
i don't know why gm won't offer a forced induction gasser in a pickup when they have been running them for so long in there cars. hell, even slapping a blower on the 5.3 would make a huge difference in the higher elevation stuff where the ecoboost probably really shines over the n/a motors. maybe even slap the 420 horse twin turboed v6 that will be available in the Cadillac cts in a half ton, that would probably take a little thunder from the ecoboost and maybe get gm back in the light duty truck game.

RX1MountainMan

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Harlowton, MT
So its another $1800 over what an ecoboost costs for the SAME power output, and you're paying $0.60-0.75 more per gallon for fuel.

So, we'll read about how these things get 96 mpg from people who buy them so they can sound cool because they won't be willing to admit it only gets marginally better fuel economy than the newer gas motors do :)

I'm not buying the hype on this one.

well aren't you just a ray of f$%#ing sunshine. If you don't want one don't buy one....I know guys that bought Ecoboosts because of the hype and they all got rid of them and bought 3/4 diesels and have way more truck and way better mileage plus they will still be worth more with with twice the miles as a gas powered truck...

Premium Features