• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Bad Reeds?

Nov 20, 2008
Ive been having probs with my sled and ive done everything i can think of other than change reeds. is there a way to tell if they are bad other than looking to see if they are cracked (they are not) my comp is 150psi on both sides, carbs cleaned, good spark. Its running very rich and unless im on the gas all the time it fouls out plugs. the reason i think its reeds is because im going through about a tank more fuel per fill up than my bud on an 800 and burrning about half a gallon of oil per tank, my oil lever is nuts on though. any help would be great, thanks

Nov 20, 2008
sorry haha its a 99 zr 500 carbs (370 mains -20) it might be a little rich but it never ran crappy with these jets b4 and it acts the same with 360's in it

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
I've got 370's in a 99, 700 and it is a little rich. If it runs good wide open it is not your main jets. There is a lot more to carbs than the main jet. How is the adjustment of your needles, pilots, and mixture screws? Usually the reeds will cause some spitting and blubbery running. If you have good suction on both carbs and the comp is pretty even on both cylinders, the reeds are probably ok. Those things suck to pull the reeds. Also, the oil lever can be on the marks and not be adjusted right. You have to go by your useage ratio. 10 gals of gas should use about a quart of oil.

Nov 20, 2008
well i figured out that reed pedals are cheap so i replaced them and the sled runs like a top cant remember when its ever run this good. they were very easy to change took about 20 min, fuel and oil are lasting way longer i think its where it should be. call it fixed

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
The 500 must be a lot easier to put reeds in than the 700 of that year. The 700 you have to tear the engine down. Glad to here it runs good now.

Nov 20, 2008
yeh all you have to do is pull the air box and the carbs and then the 6 bolts for the boots and reeds, and the new pedals just unbolt and go in. thanks for the help how can i better tune my carbs, needles @ the middle or number 3 slot switched to 360 jets and it runs good but i think i can still get more out of it

Premium Features