• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mounting pelican case on tunnel

B

Bcorn

Dec 29, 2013
South shore Lake Superior
Check out portatac racks ,they come in two sizes I have the large one and I have a pelican case on it.I believe it is the medium 1450 case but not sure I would have to check.They come with two quick release straps that I use to hold case in the rack which is nice because it is simple to remove if you want or to open the case when you are out riding.

RanOutofTalent

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2014
Western Montana
Ended up mounting a 2300 Storm to my tunnel. I used craiggerbuilt polaris t slot rails mounted with their included hardware, and drilled some new holes with countersunk bolts run up through the bottom into the case. Case appears to be bomb proof, and mounting seems sturdy although the rails are only 0.5" thick. If anything fails it will be the rails. Time will tell.
496dfce2452590f269ed7d676843cf90.jpg
ab457e71d74a07e1f09635883906a024.jpg
e828b5faa537ee704843ef1cf1dbb41f.jpg

Threw in a 6 pack for size reference. 0.71 cubic foot of DRY storage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recently mounted a IM2450 pelican case. I didnt get any foam with it and have been looking for a piece for the bottom and maybe the top to keep stuff from bouncing around too much. Have you found anything that works well? The foam pelican sells is quite pricey.

Thanks

gtwitch

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
Laramie, Wyoming
I used the Seahorse box ( very similar to Pelican and I use 80/20 extruded 1" (from Orange Aluminum online) makes it easy to go on top of the slots in the tunnel and then has its own slot for t bolt or carriage type bolt thru drilled hole in the bottom of box. I also thought of trying to make Quick Release setup so you could take the Pelican/Seahorse box off quickly and into the house but did not get that done last season--maybe this fall yet.
gtwitch in wyoming

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I recently mounted a IM2450 pelican case. I didnt get any foam with it and have been looking for a piece for the bottom and maybe the top to keep stuff from bouncing around too much. Have you found anything that works well? The foam pelican sells is quite pricey.

Thanks

Mine came with foam which I took out, I stuff mine so full of chit it cant move around so its not an issue for me.

bryceraisanen

Lifetime Membership
Mar 5, 2011
Just setting up my fresh axys. Thought I'd give this a bump. Has anyone come up with a tool-less quick removal system?

So a guy can easy pop it off and take in the hotel at night. I was even thinking I could toss in a few HotHands or similar to keep water etc from freezing. Or maybe a divider inside in which I could have half of it "heated" on those cold days where your water freezes. Warm a sandwich maybe?

I'd think it could be done pretty easy with a quick-clip strap similar to how my Jerry can fastens in its holder.

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
Just setting up my fresh axys. Thought I'd give this a bump. Has anyone come up with a tool-less quick removal system?

So a guy can easy pop it off and take in the hotel at night. I was even thinking I could toss in a few HotHands or similar to keep water etc from freezing. Or maybe a divider inside in which I could have half of it "heated" on those cold days where your water freezes. Warm a sandwich maybe?

I'd think it could be done pretty easy with a quick-clip strap similar to how my Jerry can fastens in its holder.
See post #9 above. I'm still using the exact same setup. Works awesome. You could also use square aluminum tube mounted to the sled, with holes or slots or even snowman keyholes to capture a nut or bolt end or whatever that's protruding from the case. Hold it down with ratchet straps, bungee, or webbing and buckle, like mine.
a44cf7db518dbba20da44df2dc112333.jpg
81c85fa1c1c61ba8550b6823521caa40.jpg

bryceraisanen

Lifetime Membership
Mar 5, 2011
not a dealer.. just looking at pelicans and the like and came across this in canada.. i love options. seem solid too. figured i would pass it on..
Didn't see anything...

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

G
Mar 18, 2018
Calgary
To the guys with the ridgid boxes Just wanted to say thanks for this awesome affordable storage idea. Just mounted mine and I'm stoked
One question - Do you do anything to keep the latches closed (like put a carabiner through the little holes) or do they stay closed on their own?
Worried that it could pop open with hard riding or rolling over a few times.
Thanks

Yamadoo04

Premium Member
Oct 4, 2005
Herriman, Utah
www.youtube.com
To the guys with the ridgid boxes Just wanted to say thanks for this awesome affordable storage idea. Just mounted mine and I'm stoked

One question - Do you do anything to keep the latches closed (like put a carabiner through the little holes) or do they stay closed on their own?

Worried that it could pop open with hard riding or rolling over a few times.

Thanks

I’ve never had mine open up while riding. Have had it for 2 years now without a problem. Over 2500 mountain miles on mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features