• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Is there an Easier Pulling/Starting Mountain Sled

clutch

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Big Horns Wyoming
Installed the cobra pull cord on my sled, and I swear it makes it way easier to start. it doesn't stretch at all, so you feel every stroke of the engine, but it seems to start faster than with the old rope. Most noticeably when warm and you don't give it the greatest pull.

But as far as pulling force it must still be the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I installed the cobra cord on two of my 800's because I was tired of changing ropes all the time, and like you I swear it pulls over easier. Don't know why but it seems to.:face-icon-small-con

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I know I bought one with the handle but, I can't remember if I installed it on my M8 before I sold it or if it's still in my shop. I will have to look. Thanks for the tip.

So the CTEC oil and the Cobra cord together might help a little bit. We are making some progress here.

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
I am going to ask this question at the risk of being called a wimp! :face-icon-small-ton

I had an Arctic Cat M8 for years and even with the SLP stage III kit, I never had an issue starting the sled when it was cold. I updated to a 2015 M8000 and the sled was harder to pull over than the M8 but, I managed. A month ago I added a SSI high compression head and now when it's below 10 degrees the M8000 is a real bugger to pull. I guess that's fairly predictable.

I'm not a huge guy but, I'm not a featherweight either. I weight about 180 and am in pretty good shape. Years ago I had the same issue with my wife's 99 Phazer 500 Mountain Lite in Cooke City when it was below zero. We could hardly pull the sled over.

Like all of us, maybe I am just getting older and I'm wondering if there is a sled that is easier (better mechanical advantage) than my M8000 Proclimb?

Is the new Cat engine is easier to pull over when cold than the Suzuki engine?

I love the Skidoo SHOT system but, it's always that first start in the morning that is the tough one and with the SHOT setup, you still have to start it initially to charge the super capacitor.

I would bet that other manufactures are inking deals with Bombardier to use their SHOT technology on their 2020 sleds.

I don't want to have to carry around the extra weight of an electric start but, there has to be a mountains led that is easier to pull over than the M8000 when it's cold.

Has anyone else ever had to stand on their rails and jump back to start their M8000 when it's below 10 degrees? I am worried the starter rope is going to break.

What are your thoughts, ideas and experiences?

I have used the C-Tec oil from day one, 16 M8000. I do give it 2-or 3 slow rolls when really cold. I have no issues starting it. I believe the oil does make a difference, I still run Amsoil in my 1k and on a cold morning she's a beast. I will say the C-Tec does not smoke near as much and is easy to pour when cold. Another option may be a 600 the compression will be the same but a smaller piston will have less resistance.Just a FYI I am 55 plus

M
Dec 23, 2010
Hard starting

Take your m1000 with 13.6 head leave it outside overnight in minus 20. About the definition of hard starting. I roll my 15 over slowly a few times then thee normal pulls, starts on the third every time from dead cold. I run Interceptor, I’m 60.

Thunder101

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Frost good thread ! When they are cold they can be a hard tug. I’m 50 so I’m not a spring chicken either. I have a 920 in a CF and it’s a tug. As said slow pulls till it gets easier then give it your best tug, trying hard right off the bat will poop you out. Like when your stuck you can’t do all the digging in one go. Lol. Center handle makes it a harder pull for me. I like the right side. Sorry lefties ;)
Back when I was young I had a Tcat and when it was cold all I could do is take the pulgs out pour fuel in them pull over 5 time then put the plugs back in and it would start. Small recoil on those old ones made them pretty much impossible! So they are a LOT better then they were.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I have an idea that will make it seem much easier to pull....
Go get an 01 800 RMK($1,000), park it next to ur M8000, pull the rope on the 01 2 times, now go pull the Cat and i guarantee it will seem much easier to pull.

Alpha ......

Speedo

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Talkeetna, Alaska, USA
T-Cat

Had a friend who owned a T-Cat, last year of the 900s when it got down to -20 or colder he would pull all the plugs and we'd take turns pulling it over once it loosened up a little he would put the plugs back in and hope that it would start.

Gus

ultrasks700

Premium Member
Jul 7, 2009
MAINE
I cant confirm this but I hear that when the Ctec is shut off it opens the power valves, this helps the sled turn over easier when its started again.
I got my 18 with E-start. They claim the added weight is about 20 pounds. They put the gigantic YXT-20 battery which is without a doubt the heaviest part. I know several guys who have swapped them out for a lightweight batterys and even relocated them to the engine bay by the exhaust but they are expensive. I personally don't care about the weight that much to justify its existence. I have a hybrid trailer with a low ceiling and there is was nothing worse than trying to start my 800HO on a 10 degree morning. I even added a push button handlebar start to added convenience(damn engineers stole my idea for 2019)
I don't think ill ever own a non-estart sled from this point forward

the fix-it guy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
cottonwood,mn
We were snowmobiling in the snowies one trip when night time temps were in the 35-40 below range. We could barely budge the motors, even electric starts were struggling. My friend had the idea of pouring a quart of hot water over the head of the motor. We waited about a minute and pulled the rope, they pulled over much easier and started right up.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Get the e start. Get a lw battery. Enjoy. If you can feel the 10-12lbs of it riding in any way in any conditions I’d be shocked.
I’m a big guy. Pretty strong. I work out almost every day I’m not riding and I always hated pull starting a sled. I’ve got some issues with neck injuries and yanking on a pull start first thing on a cold morning can set that off. It also saves about 15-30 more “reps” throughout the day. Makes a big difference to how you feel at the end of a day. I have a Cat 900 Prolite with high compression head. Man that thing is a yank. I have e start on it but it’s janky so it needs a pull now and then lol.
I’ve got a Shot on my 18 850. The one pull of the day right in the morning reminds me how much I hate pull starting sleds lol.

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
WHAT A WIMP HaHaHa i have a loder m8 turbo my sled is easy to start or pull over my buddys 14 is terrible there not even close to the same i dont know what they changed in there but its not good.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
My 2014 with the 900 big bore and high elevation head setup will lift the opposite ski off the ground a little when you're tugging it at 10 degrees or less. I always slow pull it 3-4 times to get things loosened up. Running Cat APV oil. Cobra cord going in it this week. Popping the side panel and dropping the belt in the secondary just a hair will help loosen the belt for initial startup too.

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
another good way....take the emergency start rope that goes around drive clutch and pull it over a few times, much easier than standard pull starter.....and if you have two guys pull them both at the same time, starts right up even when 30 below..:face-icon-small-hap

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I have been away for several days and it's good to see that there is still input coming in on this topic. I wonder how one could verify that the power valves do open for easier starting on the new 800 motor? I have rad all the snowmobile magazines about the engine but, either I wasn't looking for it or I missed reading about it.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I have been away for several days and it's good to see that there is still input coming in on this topic. I wonder how one could verify that the power valves do open for easier starting on the new 800 motor? I have rad all the snowmobile magazines about the engine but, either I wasn't looking for it or I missed reading about it.
My 18 does not pull easier than my 14.

Alpha ......

Kingkittycat

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2017
Fairchild, Wisconsin
Frostbite, here's a trick for when its really cold. Take out plugs, turn one piston to tdc and put in a tablespoon or two of gas. Turn over and repeat to other cylinder. The gas will thin out the oil and pull much easier. Just carry a length of siphon line with you to steal a little out of tank if your not carrying a gas can.
As for electric start, yes their nice, but not sure if I'm willing to take on extra weight. It's not just a starter and battery. There's a ring gear, a battery box and hold down to keep it in place, a relay and heavy gauge wiring to get power to starter. Has to be 25 lbs plus. When its super cold, you'll probably be pulling by hand anyhow. I've seen new Polaris rental 800's where the starter couldn't turn them over when well below zero. (Unless you use my trick)
It don't matter what brand of sled you own, if its an 800 or bigger, its gonna pull hard. 600's pull easy:face-icon-small-hap:.....
Manufactures could make them pull easier if they would put larger recoils on them..... but that adds weight and we as consumers complain when our brand is one lb heavier then the competition.
Good thing about hard pulling sleds, is you don't have to worry about wife and kids riding your sled when your not home, lol. Good luck.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Frostbite, here's a trick for when its really cold. Take out plugs, turn one piston to tdc and put in a tablespoon or two of gas. Turn over and repeat to other cylinder. The gas will thin out the oil and pull much easier. Just carry a length of siphon line with you to steal a little out of tank if your not carrying a gas can.
As for electric start, yes their nice, but not sure if I'm willing to take on extra weight. It's not just a starter and battery. There's a ring gear, a battery box and hold down to keep it in place, a relay and heavy gauge wiring to get power to starter. Has to be 25 lbs plus. When its super cold, you'll probably be pulling by hand anyhow. I've seen new Polaris rental 800's where the starter couldn't turn them over when well below zero. (Unless you use my trick)
It don't matter what brand of sled you own, if its an 800 or bigger, its gonna pull hard. 600's pull easy:face-icon-small-hap:.....
Manufactures could make them pull easier if they would put larger recoils on them..... but that adds weight and we as consumers complain when our brand is one lb heavier then the competition.
Good thing about hard pulling sleds, is you don't have to worry about wife and kids riding your sled when your not home, lol. Good luck.

For the effort it takes to pull a plug on these newer chassis sleds, I think I'll take my chances throwing a shoulder out!

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
When you could just lift the hood and pull out a spark plug I might be willing to do the gas into the cylinder trick with my frozen fingers at 10 degrees but, with these new sleds and the limited access to the plugs, I think I'll pass.

I found a complete recoil with rope installed for a 2007 to 2011 M8 or M1000 in my shop. Now I am wondering if it would bolt right up on my 2015 M8000? If so, would it change the ease of pulling?

I too prefer the side pull starter rope to the center pull rope. From a ergonomic sense it seems much better. You start your pull from a lower point where you can use your legs more in the pull and you can use two hands if need be.

With the center mount rope, you seem to have to use mostly upper body strength alone and in a twisting motion. Not good from a power perspective or for those with back related issues.

Premium Features