• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Is This Vandalism?

N

newtrout

Oct 1, 2001
Central Washington

What are you trying to accomplish over here, Rob? How many times have you signed off and said you were done here?

Let me be as clear as I can about this: we are very interested in discussions with other user groups, skiers, snowshoers, etc. We are happy to work on compromises that don't include giving up very unique snowmobile terrain to Wilderness. In fact, I have proposed several compromises to the USFS that would be much more beneficial to skiers than additional Wilderness. BUT, we are not interested in YOU being at the table. You have proven yourself to be a very deliberate liar, and an excellent manipulator. I made the mistake of trusting you on more than one occassion and you did a wonderful job of using that against me.

Is this vandalism? Of course not. No more than the non-paying skiers who cut a traverse up a steep line in a lift-served ski area. Vandalism is just another word that you are using to sensationalize this as much as possible and get the most media/PR bang for your buck. What happened at Mission is no different than what happens when a few snowmobiles ride in Wilderness. It is a selfish act of immediate gratification by a couple people who don't understand or care about the impacts they are having on others.

W

WMC

Banned
Apr 27, 2010
What are you trying to accomplish over here, Rob? How many times have you signed off and said you were done here?

Let me be as clear as I can about this: we are very interested in discussions with other user groups, skiers, snowshoers, etc. We are happy to work on compromises that don't include giving up very unique snowmobile terrain to Wilderness. In fact, I have proposed several compromises to the USFS that would be much more beneficial to skiers than additional Wilderness. BUT, we are not interested in YOU being at the table. You have proven yourself to be a very deliberate liar, and an excellent manipulator. I made the mistake of trusting you on more than one occassion and you did a wonderful job of using that against me.

Is this vandalism? Of course not. No more than the non-paying skiers who cut a traverse up a steep line in a lift-served ski area. Vandalism is just another word that you are using to sensationalize this as much as possible and get the most media/PR bang for your buck. What happened at Mission is no different than what happens when a few snowmobiles ride in Wilderness. It is a selfish act of immediate gratification by a couple people who don't understand or care about the impacts they are having on others.

"Is this vandalism" is the title of an article which I had no involvement. Not sure that I have signed off as you say. I ride a snowmobile, for 30 years, I own and ride a 2010 Ski Doo. My strongest interest is skitouring, I use the snowmobile for access to start walking on skis. I registered for this site and follow the rules, per the site owners and will be here as long as the site owners allow. I am trying to have a conversation with snowmobile riders beyond the refusal of reality, bullying, no-compromise, disrespect of others, and denial that we see. As I have stated, I think that most snowmobile riders are normal, good folks. The day is coming, on state and USFS, that public lands will be managed so that much more will be off limits to snowmobiles where now it is a free-for-all. That free-for-all is problematic even for 'you' guys, whether you want to realize it or not. But some seem to think that what they hope is tough-sounding talk and intransigence will maintain the current situation, free-for-all for snowmobiles, which is not properly established. I understand that you and others here want to talk to or sit at the table with those that you think you may bully. Oh thanks for the names, I believe that you have returned spite after I have recognized and been impressed with your - previously- civil behavior.

Our public lands belong to all of us, not just to those who want to push the throttle of their 180 HP+ snowmobile and lean as they cover with ruts much of the forest quickly. Always fascinating to hear the apologists and the equivocal discussion, to hear that it cannot be enforced. Many aspects of our society are orderly not because a policeman is watching each of us- it is because we are a civilized society that places importance on the good of all.

To the apologists I ask is it not that unlawful snowmobile riding occurred that had a significant impact on other citizens? As well, along the entire Wenatchee Mountains unroaded crest accessible areas outside Wilderness include just 4 sections of land closed to snowmobiles, intended for muscle-powered use. And yes, we ski in the Wilderness when we have time to go that far. But some areas are avoided because of the snowmobile traffic on both sides of the Wilderness Boundary. So the other side is...snowmobile riding should be all over the Forest, even remove Wilderness because...? I say, no!

Industry numbers place active, regular snowshoe and backcountry ski recreationalists in WA state at nearly 100,000 regular users of a total of 500,000 who may use the offroad Forest for those activities. That would compare to less than 33,000 registered snowmobiles.

We have great mountains to provide recreation for all of us. There is room for great snowmobile riding areas as well as for muscle-powered winter recreation areas. It must start with respect of others and personal responsibility. As we work with the public land agencies for management of the winter forest for all citizens, it must be clear that there is more than one (motorized) use of the winter forest! The real but unstudied and unconsidered impacts on nature and wildlife are as well, important. Simply owning a $14k machine and having the need to push that throttle while traversing across the breadth of our public lands indeed does NOT have greater importance or trump the rights of others to safely and reasonably engage in muscle-powered recreation on public lands!

Last edited:

Racer220

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
43.463558, -110.762496
Is it vandalism? Absolutely not IMHO. Though the pictures and txt in all the articles depict activity that should absolutely not have happened, I think the approach is a biased effort to fuel the non-motorized community into negative action. I am just as big of advocate for proper land use by all users (especially when places are clearly marked or visible as areas that shouldn't be ridden in), but right of the get-go I felt like the sled community as a whole was being put on the chopping block.

It is sad that people can't use a single brain cell to self-discipline themselves, and unfortunately this is what we end up with. Why these links were posted for all of us to see on SW I think was a bit shady. I think it is odd that individuals claim to 'know the riders' responsible for doing this, yet there is no mention of any action to segregate these actions away from those of us who recreate responsibly. Plain and simple, riding in areas closed to motorized vehicles shouldn't be condoned. I found it funny that someone commented about 'tolerance vs. legal' as if it was seemingly overlooked by folks to ride in that area as long as runs were not affected by snowmobile tracks.

blah blah blah........... I don't think it was vandalism. I don't condone the disrespect shown to this area by truly 'rogue riders'. I don't think the articles portrayed a fair approach to helping fix this problem. That's the problem with so many people. No effort to help educate. Too quick to discriminate. rant over

N

newtrout

Oct 1, 2001
Central Washington
Oh thanks for the names, I believe that you have returned spite after I have recognized and been impressed with your - previously- civil behavior.

Well, my intention was certainly not to call you 'names'. Simply to describe your actions. I should not have referred to you as a liar or manipulator. I should have said you have lied to me and manipulated me.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
In 98% of the areas that I ride, all popular snowmobile areas, I NEVER see a skier. Some of these areas people like WMC want to close to us. It is too far in for most of them to even get there and we have zero impact on the environment that is buried under 20 feet of snow right now. There is some conflict at the MT Baker area where we have a tiny sliver of the mountain to ride on and the skiers etc have 90%. Why do they even come into the tiny part that can be used by snowmobiles when they have such a huge area all to themselves? If they had any sense at all there would be zero conflict. There is no compromise for motorized use. Just giving up areas one at a time until we have no where to ride at all. Might take them 10 years or 40 years but you will never see the other side "compromise" and give us a new place to ride.

C

CoyoteGirl

Nov 26, 2007
Washington
www.brandyfloyd.com
Many aspects of our society are orderly not because a policeman is watching each of us- it is because we are a civilized society that places importance on the good of all.

This statement cracks me up. I feel like we live in a society that places importance on the good of self... not all.... and these land grabs are a great example of that.

Obviously your all and my all are different. Because in my world, all would not cut you out of something you love to do just because it bothers me.

Selfish. And that is not me calling anyone names. That is a description that I feel describes way to many people these days. :brokenheart:

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
most importantly is- the time of year

the ski season is clearly over and the lifts aren't running i don't know the area but for example at the anthony lakes ski hill once the lifts close, the snowmobiles can use the mtn becaus it's usfs land and the skiers lose control over the mtn because their permit to operate is limited to certain dates in time, then who ever wants to use it can, I've seen large 4x4 with 44 inch tires running 4psi driving all over the mtn next to the chair lift.

S
Feb 21, 2009
not vandalism

ridiculous statements like this make me sick!! Looks like there are plenty of skiable lines there why are you crying about it the resort is closed. If it is so bad go somewhere else..snow melts idiot!!!

W

WMC

Banned
Apr 27, 2010
In 98% of the areas that I ride, all popular snowmobile areas, I NEVER see a skier. Some of these areas people like WMC want to close to us. It is too far in for most of them to even get there and we have zero impact on the environment that is buried under 20 feet of snow right now. There is some conflict at the MT Baker area where we have a tiny sliver of the mountain to ride on and the skiers etc have 90%. Why do they even come into the tiny part that can be used by snowmobiles when they have such a huge area all to themselves? If they had any sense at all there would be zero conflict. There is no compromise for motorized use. Just giving up areas one at a time until we have no where to ride at all. Might take them 10 years or 40 years but you will never see the other side "compromise" and give us a new place to ride.

You have given up nothing in the Wenatchee Mountains. The Proposed USFS Wilderness, if it ever happens, would take 15 years and an Act of Congress...and just look at all of the distress expressed! WMC has never questioned the established snowmobile management and use on USFS- that is the system of Roads and groomed 'roads and routes' per USFS. None of the offroad is listed or designated by USFS for snowmobile riding. USFS avoids those designations for now, but likely the day is coming when it will be done.

In the Wenatchee Mtns on USFS lands our biggest dream for non-motorized was a few percent of the acres in that District; and we offered some other smaller ideas as well. In my time skitouring and riding a snowmobile in the Wenatchee Mountains I have seen exponential increase of terrain used by snowmobiles because of the increase in technology- offroad.

In the new Naneum Ridge State Forest WMC and others are interested in preserving what has been the traditional areas around the ski area used for generations for close-access to Wenatchee for skitouring and snowshoeing. Only in about the past 8 years has the snowmobile riding become extensive there with the new technology. What we are asking for winter non-motorized less than 3 Sections- < 2000 acres that border the ski area- out of 131,000 acres. And look at all of the distress from some. And all of the hateful speech to another citizen who simply asks the land mangers to consider the non-motorized uses.

Skiers avoid snowmobiles, I stand right there in the trees at times and groups of riders, having fun riding, never see me because they are having fun and paying attention to their riding. The numbers are very disproportionate, like 10 to 1 regular bc skiers/ snowshoers to snowmobiles registered in WA, and the total numbers of skier/ snowshoers who would use the backcountry would be 50 to 1. This is from industry figures, the manufacturers of the gear.

Unfortunately, the lack of management of the offroad sport has created expectations that will not always be supported. There is a process, there is body of law, eventually USFS will get around to those processes.

Last edited:
W

WMC

Banned
Apr 27, 2010
This statement cracks me up. I feel like we live in a society that places importance on the good of self... not all.... and these land grabs are a great example of that.

Obviously your all and my all are different. Because in my world, all would not cut you out of something you love to do just because it bothers me.

Selfish. And that is not me calling anyone names. That is a description that I feel describes way to many people these days. :brokenheart:

Well, thanks, but that is some rather idiotic jibberish. There is volume of discussion of the conflict between modern offroad snowmobile riding and also of the dangers to pedestrians. Therefore, either winter non-motorized folks just stay away and do not use the Forest, or we get some accessible areas made non-motorized. BTW, the article was about an area closed to snowmobiles at all times.

Your concepts attempted to be expressed are quite silly, and you should examine 'selfish.' We are trying for a few percent of the accessible Forest for skiers and snowshoers. Dirt bikes are manged very strictly, but not snowmobiles, and you all pretend that there is logic in that?

We do not come at you spewing names and filth as we get in return, because we try to maintain civility. The language used here and elsewhere is no secret to the folks in charge. Sadly, the snomo riders' language here and elsewhere is of selfish bullies- but it actually has little impact on the solid citizens that associate with what we are doing. As well, we do not come at you and deny that you have a right to your sport- often from you we hear that we must ski and snowshoe in your ruts, as you speed around us.

We have asked the folks in charge to manage for our use. We have described here what we ask. We have not hidden this, we have tried to make you part of the process. Do some self-examination of what you have returned.

We have a wonderful area that will easily provide for all of our uses, there is room for all of us.

Last edited:

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
Well, thanks, but that is some rather idiotic jibberish. There is volume of discussion of the conflict between modern offroad snowmobile riding and also of the dangers to pedestrians. Therefore, either winter non-motorized folks just stay away and do not use the Forest, or we get some accessible areas made non-motorized. BTW, the article was about an area closed to snowmobiles at all times.

Your concepts attempted to be expressed are quite silly, and you should examine 'selfish.' We are trying for a few percent of the accessible Forest for skiers and snowshoers. Dirt bikes are manged very strictly, but not snowmobiles, and you all pretend that there is logic in that?

We do not come at you spewing names and filth as we get in return, because we try to maintain civility. The language used here and elsewhere is no secret to the folks in charge. Sadly, the snomo riders' language here and elsewhere is of selfish bullies- but it actually has little impact on the solid citizens that associate with what we are doing. As well, we do not come at you and deny that you have a right to your sport- often from you we hear that we must ski and snowshoe in your ruts, as you speed around us.

We have asked the folks in charge to manage for our use. We have described here what we ask. We have not hidden this, we have tried to make you part of the process. Do some self-examination of what you have returned.

We have a wonderful area that will easily provide for all of our uses, there is room for all of us.

Why should we maintain civility with you? You are a troll. I'd just as soon tell you to F off. You maintain civility to try to justify your B.S. stance. The fact is that you already have millions of acres that are 100% non motorized plus the fact that you get to also get millions of acres of national forests to use that we are restricted from accessing. You don't need more and we will never agree to give you more.

The whole motorcycle vs snowmobile arguement is total bullcrap and you know it, well that is unless you are a complete moron. I shouldn't need to explain it, but I will, just in case you are that stupid. Motorcycles actually travel on the ground and snowmobiles travel over snow.

We will never agree with you and your ridiculous ideas, so don't be suprised when people take offense to you being here and trying to get us to drink the koolaid.

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
some backcountry babys remind me of the selfish bullys in school that they never learned to share.

i cant ski over a bump in the snow.waaaaaaaa.:baby:

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
and it sucks you keep making skiers look like a selfish crowd.the next time one waves and wants a ride back to the truck,i might not do it.

109RMSHA

Nov 9, 2011
The ski areas lease is seasonal I thought when it closed down then NO ONE should enter. By the way look at the total distruction the ski areas do just to make there runs in the hill they should be made to ski what the Lord gave us and quit cutting huge sections of trees out. I HATE CRY BABY SKIERS like the one that started this issue:baby:!!!

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009

There is room for all of "us" as long as we arent ANYWHERE you want to be and you have ALL the land you want would be a more accurate statement.

S
Feb 21, 2009
congess

You have given up nothing in the Wenatchee Mountains. The Proposed USFS Wilderness, if it ever happens, would take 15 years and an Act of Congress...and just look at all of the distress expressed! WMC has never questioned the established snowmobile management and use on USFS- that is the system of Roads and groomed 'roads and routes' per USFS. None of the offroad is listed or designated by USFS for snowmobile riding. USFS avoids those designations for now, but likely the day is coming when it will be done.

In the Wenatchee Mtns on USFS lands our biggest dream for non-motorized was a few percent of the acres in that District; and we offered some other smaller ideas as well. In my time skitouring and riding a snowmobile in the Wenatchee Mountains I have seen exponential increase of terrain used by snowmobiles because of the increase in technology- offroad.

In the new Naneum Ridge State Forest WMC and others are interested in preserving what has been the traditional areas around the ski area used for generations for close-access to Wenatchee for skitouring and snowshoeing. Only in about the past 8 years has the snowmobile riding become extensive there with the new technology. What we are asking for winter non-motorized less than 3 Sections- < 2000 acres that border the ski area- out of 131,000 acres. And look at all of the distress from some. And all of the hateful speech to another citizen who simply asks the land mangers to consider the non-motorized uses.

Skiers avoid snowmobiles, I stand right there in the trees at times and groups of riders, having fun riding, never see me because they are having fun and paying attention to their riding. The numbers are very disproportionate, like 10 to 1 regular bc skiers/ snowshoers to snowmobiles registered in WA, and the total numbers of skier/ snowshoers who would use the backcountry would be 50 to 1. This is from industry figures, the manufacturers of the gear.

Unfortunately, the lack of management of the offroad sport has created expectations that will not always be supported. There is a process, there is body of law, eventually USFS will get around to those processes.

It should have to go through congress, but not the case always. They have been changing boundry lines around tahoe all by themslves. USFS ,its total B.S!!

Premium Features