• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Anyone done a rear skid mod with a edge skid?

S

SpencerA

Mar 30, 2010
Portland Oregon
I assume I have the Xtra1 suspension (97 XLT) and I was curious if anyone has done this swap and is it worth every penny? What differences will I see significantly?

C

chadkrump

May 26, 2008
Amenia ND
So you wanna put an edge skid in a 97 xlt? what chassis is it? it is fairly easy to make the swap. you will have to drill new mounting holes and if the backing plates arent correct you may have to drill all the rivets and move them as well. measurements can be found on www.jbshocks.com for a standard edge 121 skid but if your going longer let me know, Ive put in 136, 144, and 151s in the older wedge chassis' and I have all my figures written down.

CK

S

SpencerA

Mar 30, 2010
Portland Oregon
So you wanna put an edge skid in a 97 xlt? what chassis is it? it is fairly easy to make the swap. you will have to drill new mounting holes and if the backing plates arent correct you may have to drill all the rivets and move them as well. measurements can be found on www.jbshocks.com for a standard edge 121 skid but if your going longer let me know, Ive put in 136, 144, and 151s in the older wedge chassis' and I have all my figures written down.

CK

Bought a 136" Edge skid and we're putting extensions on for my 144" track. Doing a drop and roll so the guy I'm having do it will know how to install. I was just wondering on how much lighter this skid will be then my xtra10 and what other benifits I will notice?

Mark's RMK

Lifetime Membership
May 5, 2010
Sturgeon Lake, MN
Edge Skid

I put an Edge skid in my 2000. I also put the Edge black shocks on the front to pick it up some.

I realigned the skis but didn't get much chance to ride it last winter. Does anyone think I'll have any handling problems? I think the eye to eye center line is about 3/4 of an inch longer.

S

SpencerA

Mar 30, 2010
Portland Oregon
I put an Edge skid in my 2000. I also put the Edge black shocks on the front to pick it up some.

I realigned the skis but didn't get much chance to ride it last winter. Does anyone think I'll have any handling problems? I think the eye to eye center line is about 3/4 of an inch longer.

You might have some issues, I'm currently lifting my front end on my wedge right now but we lowered the shock brackets and lengthened the tie rods. From what my mechanic told me is these sleds have a specific measurement or your sled won't handle as well. I did a D/R as well so thats another reason we lifted the front end. I could be wrong but I thought thats what I was told.

S

SpencerA

Mar 30, 2010
Portland Oregon
I've got an edge skid extened to 136 in my XLT and I love it. So much better than the standard 8" suspension. Rides like a dream on trail and off.
Does it feel a lot lighter and how much more travel do you get out of it versus the xtra 10?

I bought a 03 Edge skid 136 and extended it to a 144. Havent put it all together yet but I'm hoping its a night and day difference from my Xtra 10! I might upgrade the stock shocks in the edge skid as well to Ryde FX.

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009

I dont belive that is going to work. The suspension may bottom out before the shocks will. Also raising the front end up that much is going to cause the front end to want to dart really bad and follow tracks. The steering effort is also going to be greatly increased.

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
Does it feel a lot lighter and how much more travel do you get out of it versus the xtra 10?

I bought a 03 Edge skid 136 and extended it to a 144. Havent put it all together yet but I'm hoping its a night and day difference from my Xtra 10! I might upgrade the stock shocks in the edge skid as well to Ryde FX.

It should be considerably lighter than what the X 10 is. Handling wise its not even comparable. The X10 was a ok skid in 1998-1999 with decent shocks, now days its nothing to write home about. Your going to love the edge skid over the X 10. The travel is whatever, the coupling and geometry of the skid is what makes it work better.

Premium Features