• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Bigger track on '98 xc 700

H
Sep 2, 2009
I'm currently running a 144" x 1.25" or 1.5" track, not exactly sure of lug length. My skid shocks crapped out on me recently so I'm looking for a fix and figured I'd just throw a new skid in. I want to go to a 151", 155" or 159" track with at least 2" lugs. My question is, do I need to do anything to fit 2"+ lugs?

jgd

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Becker, MN
You'll be snug with the stock 9 tooth drivers. I'd suggest going to 8's to clear the 2" track. Good luck

S

SpencerA

Mar 30, 2010
Portland Oregon
I'm currently running a 144" x 1.25" or 1.5" track, not exactly sure of lug length. My skid shocks crapped out on me recently so I'm looking for a fix and figured I'd just throw a new skid in. I want to go to a 151", 155" or 159" track with at least 2" lugs. My question is, do I need to do anything to fit 2"+ lugs?

How did you like the 144" track? I was thinking of putting one on my sled. Did it not do well in powder and thats why your going longer?

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
A 2 inch track wont clear with the stock cooling strips in the tunnel. I had a 98 XC 700 that we ran as a 136 1.75 track. We had to dish those lugs even so they wouldnt hit the strip coolers. If you were to run a 2 inch track with the stock coolers you would have to do the same. A 1.5 would be the only track that would fit without modification.

Last edited:
H
Sep 2, 2009
I liked the 144" when I lived in MN, but now that I live in the mountains I would like some more track. With the lug size that I have my sled doesn't "bite" like I would like it too, hence the want/need for something bigger. Thanks for the advise guys. As for dealing with the cooling fins in the tunnel, would mounting the skid lower do anything?

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
They make Notched tracks as well in some lengths and lug heights.

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
I liked the 144" when I lived in MN, but now that I live in the mountains I would like some more track. With the lug size that I have my sled doesn't "bite" like I would like it too, hence the want/need for something bigger. Thanks for the advise guys. As for dealing with the cooling fins in the tunnel, would mounting the skid lower do anything?

It gives you added clearance but its a catch 22, because it increases the steering pressure, and how the sled handles, you can restup the front end to compensate but its still a noticably different sled with the skid lowered. The strip coolers just were not designed with big lug clearance in mind. About the only real way to get what you want and keep the handling the same is to go to a rear "U" cooler.

Premium Features