• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

XP's come with clutch alignment tool!

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I was shopping around for a straight piece of bar stock for checking my clutch alignment when I realized that my sled came with one mounted under the hood!

Check yours too, you might have one aswell. It's located near the front of the bellypan and is hooked to the a-arms with some linkage.:D Some are using it as a swaybar? :eek: Anyway it worked perfect to check the alignment. It's not exactly 3/8" thick but it does not matter as you measure from the outside of the bar which is in alignment with the fixed sheve of the secondary clutch when the bar is clamped in.

I ended up finding a long 1/2" drill bit and I drilled the rear clutch side motor mount. With the other 3 mounts adjustable I pushed the motor as far forward and as far to the mag side as possible.

I was not eating many belts previous and the dealer said it was in spec. but I got rid of the obvious dogleg I could see in the belt. The clutches were getting very hot on long hard pulls so time will tell if this is cured

Unfortanately I did not figure the alignment bar (swaybar) thing out until after I moved the motor but now I measured the Z,Y and Z and all looks right on except I now have 22mm between the clutches instead of the recommended 21mm. This is good as I still don't have the new wider belt.

Sorry no photos. FYI I did drill the mount with the motor in the sled and with the secondary on. It was very tight and the 12"+ length drill bit did scuff the back side of the secondary a slightly and the side of the cylinder in one spot. (just because I couldn't hold the drill straight and tight)

In doing this I can see that if the motor torques up, shims might have to be put under the mag side mounts to raise the mag side and tip the clutch side lower. The torque would then simply pull the motor up in parallel with the jackshaft.

I would like to fix a small laser onto the clutch and run the motor with the laser pointed at the wall. The light would draw a circle on the wall with the motor running. Now punching the throttle and see how far the laser circle moves up the wall. Now shut down the sled, install the shims under the mag side mounts. Re-test and hopefully the torque pulls the motor to the original position on the wall where the light hit while idling the motor.

Premium Features