• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SLP Magnum Force Adjustable Weights

Bowtie496

Lifetime Membership
Jun 7, 2010
Carey, ID
Anybody have a chance to try out SLP's new adjustable weights? Looks like they have screws that go into the heel of the weight and can be changed externally. Looking for feedback, they look nice.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
They look like Dalton or cutler weights.

Same concept, but the weight is different. The dalton/cutler weight doesnt have the same profile around the heel of the weight. Also not sure on the SLP weight if all the set screws go in from the heel or not, description doesnt say. The dalton/cutler weight you install the tip set screw from the tip (with the weight removed from the sled). Eric

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
The slp weight setscrews install from the heel only.
No removal necessary.
Me and my brother will be trying out 2 sets tomorrow in valdez.

Really consistent weights between the three.
Bought through A2dsledworks in anchorage.

SLP

Premium Member
Same concept, but the weight is different. The dalton/cutler weight doesnt have the same profile around the heel of the weight. Also not sure on the SLP weight if all the set screws go in from the heel or not, description doesnt say. The dalton/cutler weight you install the tip set screw from the tip (with the weight removed from the sled). Eric

40-150.jpg

On the Magnum Force weights, all of the set screws go in from the heel of the weight. All of the adjustment can be done with the weight in the clutch without having to compress the clutch.

The heavy heel design with the mass distribution profile of this weight is what really makes it stand out over other weights. It puts more shift force on the belt especially in the low to mid speed ranges rather than allowing the belt to slip on the clutch in those areas. This is where most riders spend the majority of their time, especially mountain riders. It is also the area that the clutch and belt contact surface area is smallest.

By allowing the weight in the drive clutch to do most of the work in initial shift, it allows us to utilize a less aggressive initial angle on the helix. We feel this is important because it provides better back shift and consistency. Also, with the new sleds having 2.6" to 3" lugs and lengths out to 174", backshift is more important than ever. On the Axys RMK models we are utilizing the stock straight 40 degree helix with these weights for that very reason.

In the field what you will notice with these weights is engagement is very smooth. Above engagement you get a more responsive feel that is extremely controllable. These weights make picking through tight technical terrain quite a bit easier. Also, in a drag race, these weights will pull out in front of a 10 series equipped sled about 1 to 2 lengths within the first 100 to 200 yards (obviously this is condition dependant, and this increase is assuming the conditions offer good traction).

And finally, the method of adjustment is easy allowing you to ride a wide variety of elevations throughout the winter with minimal time spent adjusting your weights.

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Jerry Mathews
Starting Line Products
(208)529-0244

<iframe width="1000" height="563" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bNfNY6_7LqE?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by a moderator:

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Rode today with these and they seem to respond quicker than the slp mtx weights. (Identical setup sleds with the only difference being the mag force)

Looks like at 3k i'll need some long solid setscrews to get the rpm under control. (8450-8550 in eth mode)

Slp pipe set

-20F

Blower pow.

f4ba8589fd9749d939eb7ce75786bd02.jpg

Was somewhat brushy still. :)
I don't know why the picture shows purple when the sled is blue........

Last edited:

NoSoup4U

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2009
Northern Utah
For the MTX weights, SLP recommends 4 grams heavier than 10 series weights as a starting point. How do Magnum Force weights compare to 10 series (i.e. is the Magnum Force loaded to 64 grams comparable to 10-64 weights)?

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK

Dalton set screws go in from the heel side with weight installed.

These slp weights function the same as a dalton for adjustment but do look to have a different profile.

I love dalton weights, so easy to adjust.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Dalton set screws go in from the heel side with weight installed.

I love dalton weights, so easy to adjust.

Maybe these have changed, but the set I ran last year, and the current pics (link you posted) shows the weights exactly as I described. TIP set screw goes in from the tip of the weight, ALL OTHER set screws go in from the heel of the weight.

Is the set you have different?

Eric

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
Both sets of daltons i have (bought them a few years ago) have all weights installed from heel, no opening on tip for a weight to be installed that i am aware of? The link shows no opening on tip that i can see although in this video you can see a hole on the end. So either they have been updated or the hole is not threaded and nothing can be installed on the tip?

My weights thread in the heel and bottom out so the threads do not continue through the full length of the weight. I will have to take a closer look tonight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aj4X4evchFs

SLP

Premium Member
For the MTX weights, SLP recommends 4 grams heavier than 10 series weights as a starting point. How do Magnum Force weights compare to 10 series (i.e. is the Magnum Force loaded to 64 grams comparable to 10-64 weights)?

We have seen that with the Magnum Force weights your starting point will be similar to a 10 series weight as far as overall mass (ie: 10-64 Polaris, would be similar to 64 grams total mass on Magnum Force). But, from a performance standpoint, you will also find that the Magnum Force shifts much harder than the 10 series based on where the mass is located on the weight. We optimized the mass profile so that all of the available mass was acting as effectively as possible through all shift ranges of the weight.

HiMark Racing

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2008
Lincoln
I just installed a set and haven't had a chance to really put them to work..but the little sprint I took, I could tell they hook up much quicker..you better be holding on to the bars when you blip the throttle!! :face-icon-small-hap

J

jhillam

May 2, 2010
We have seen that with the Magnum Force weights your starting point will be similar to a 10 series weight as far as overall mass (ie: 10-64 Polaris, would be similar to 64 grams total mass on Magnum Force). But, from a performance standpoint, you will also find that the Magnum Force shifts much harder than the 10 series based on where the mass is located on the weight. We optimized the mass profile so that all of the available mass was acting as effectively as possible through all shift ranges of the weight.

Is respacing the spider necessary going from 10 series weights to these weights? Is the heel depth the same as 10 series resulting in same belt clearance?

Premium Features