• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

riding towards a better future

F

freeflorider

Mar 29, 2010
In the koots...bc
Hi everyone, Im new to snowest but have an avid background in back country use. This includes mnt biking, quading, snowboarding and of course sledding! I was one of the guys out of a group that was caught and buried in the revelstoke avi on mar 13/10.

I am truely happy to be alive but find myself woundering how did I get myself into that position. The other night some friends and myself were sitting around the table talking about the event and started to see the benefits as snowmobilers if we took a small amount of time to invest in the safety of our future, that day we all knew better but the light switch was off.

At the revy slide, I was so pleased to see the efforts and the organization from people working hard to save others around them and now it makes me think? If we all had a better understanding of the backcountry, and our groups we ride with had better avi training maybe we could pervent this kind of tragedy in the future.

I guess Im looking for some feedback on this. I see our goverment is looking at new ways to govern the backcountry use and as we all know this could pose a big problem to those that love being out there, I would like to be pro active in this matter, lets show the world that we as a family of back country users can implement new ways to protect ourselfs and others out there.
Lets work together and take a badly publicized events like "BIS" and turn it into something great! A memorial ride?...a day of different events that train or promote avalanche safety. Any monies raised from such an event could be put back into promoting the awareness of avalanche safety or to start a trust fund to help the children and family's that lost someone that just wanted to do something they loved.

Lets step up and see where this takes us...It will help make better governing decisions and most importantly it might save you or your best friends life...let ride today and be here to do it again tomorrow.
Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Glad to hear that you made it through that event alive and well and are truly concerned about the future of our sport. Excellent post:beer;

Welcome to Snowest:cool:

K
Nov 10, 2008
B.C.
Glad you made it out alive as well, good post!!! The CAC puts on avalanche awareness days for the exact reason you are mentioning, it would be great to see everyone out to support these kind of events it could only be good for the sport.

Premium Features