• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Gold Creek EAST of Missoula Blackfoot

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
DEC 7 2008 Drove up the road to Shoo Fly Meadows this morning, about 6" of really compacted snow, you got a new sled ? and want to break in the belt and clutching, no big deal, just idle along toward the lookout and be cautious. Bout 10" on the highest point above the canyons on Wisherd Ridge but no snow on the road beyond the locked gates to get up there.

D
Dec 3, 2007
Thanks for the update. Ride Wishered all the time but can wait for more since Widsom has 40" heh heh... Stuart snotel says 29" think its true?

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
Dec 11, 2008

More snow in Gold Creek, no riding yet down low though, but 6" or so new up high last couple of day.

Talked to riders that tried Little Joe West of St Regis, just enough to idel down state line rd and get some time on their new Doo's.

South end of Big Hole, couple of surveyors said thay were in 3' and had to use sleds to finish some field work. Black Lake NOTEL if I recall says 36" or so.

All up high.

Looking towards Seely Lake high country yesterday some good looking bright and white and body been out in that country???

C

cabindwlr

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 11, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
I was at Monture Creek bridge at the end of Cottonwood Lakes road 20 some miles East of Seeley yesterday doing some work and the road is hardpacked snow and perhaps 3 inches of new. McCabe East of there is the same. Was in Seeley Lake Thursday and a guy said there is good snow high near Archibald. I don't even know where that is but he lives on North end of Boy Scout Road and goes out from his place directly West. He is a musher running sled dogs so does not ride. Not much snow in town (Seeley) on Thursday. From the looks of the mountains at a distance from Seeley it seems there should be good trail snow.

D
Dec 3, 2007
More snow in Gold Creek, no riding yet down low though, but 6" or so new up high last couple of day.

Talked to riders that tried Little Joe West of St Regis, just enough to idel down state line rd and get some time on their new Doo's.

South end of Big Hole, couple of surveyors said thay were in 3' and had to use sleds to finish some field work. Black Lake NOTEL if I recall says 36" or so.

All up high.

Looking towards Seely Lake high country yesterday some good looking bright and white and body been out in that country???

Just got back from Goldcreek/Sheep mtn 2' of super light new on top of 15" old pretty fun road ride!

Last edited:

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
SUNDAY Dec 14 08

Zero and below in Missoula couldn'd find any sledding interest. Drove up Gold Creed at Noon Sunday to take a look. Road 8" of snow and snow packed but fluffy. You could now gently ride up any of the roads on your sled to see what's up high. Drove the MINERAL MOUNTAIN road up from the low gate which is obviously still open, you could ride from any place there, judging by the snow down low, not issue to be riding the trail to Mineral Mtn Look out.

As you can see from the pictures the wind has not hit this area, web cams show the same for Lolo, fluffy snow still hanging in the trees.

12 14 08 Min road 1 from gate to East.JPG 12 14 08 Mineral rd just 1 off low gate.JPG

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
DEC 20 more snow

Picking up snow and riding to Mineral ok. No problem riding from main road, still be careful on the road first couple miles.

Any body been up on top of Wisherd Ridge, white and bright up there but I haven't been over there.

D
Dec 3, 2007
Just got back. They're plowing road till Suzy but still ridable. Top of ridge has 40+ in places and bony shwag in others but still fun...

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
Sunday12/28/08

New heavy snow or main road up to gravel pit, was tough pulling my 2 place enclosed up there.

Three of us headed out to Shoo Fly meadows / Mineral Mtn. raining down low, we were soon into driving snow and found way way more snow than expected at shoo fly meadows, hard to go on the flat in the meadow for a couple of sleds, but deep and everything well covered..loads of fun. Over 4' of heavy wet ...........hard on things.

Rode on towards lookout in and on and off raging blizzard, turned back at locked gate, tough going for any sled. Tracks back at meadow had 3" of snow in them in an hour and a half. All of us cold and wet...........all our KLIM gear soaked.......one of those days. Good sidehilligin cutting road banks on the way out, any track you made was packed HARD! Good base now!

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
1/02/09

rode on the 1st, lots of new snow, up high tons of fresh, lots of work and lots of fun, riding in the Mineral Mountain area. ShooFly meadows and up the ridge if its open ride it, either big trees standing or its covered.................well some one will find a stump even if it 12' deep snow!

Back this morning the 2nd, biggest one night dump so far this year I would say, when you turn off the hiway, end of driving!! If the road isn't plowed, look for another parking spot than the GOLD CREEK ROAD, caution on using the pull out at RAINBOW bend, they were writing tickets for parking there?? anyone know the latest on that. For sure on weekdays the school bus can't turn around there and in the past that was an instant ticket in the mail?

Yes............like big time avalance danger, we didn't go there, saw several small hills that slid.

Rode all day, 1 sled down by the hiway? Economy has weeded out all the causal riders............hooray.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
We might go tomorrow.
Park at the highway, eh?

Last time we parked at the pull out it was a weekend day during Christmas break...can you say "got tickets"?

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
We went to Belmont Peak today. GREAT ride....DEEP up high. NO base. Land mines are everywhere.

Was a Cold Smoke day for sure. Just about 0 degrees up on the ridges.

The old goatee was sportin ice for most of the day. LOL

M

mod03rmk800

Nov 26, 2007
missoula
We went to Belmont Peak today. GREAT ride....DEEP up high. NO base. Land mines are everywhere.

Was a Cold Smoke day for sure. Just about 0 degrees up on the ridges.

The old goatee was sportin ice for most of the day. LOL

Where did you park and start from? We talked about going that way to get the trail started in from "Lord Alford" side. The ridge last year was drifted really bad.
Gosh, and here we thought that stuff was our secret playground. Heard only the calhoons(?sp) went there.:rolleyes:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
We parked just up past the gravel pit.

That's all I'm sayin. :)

There were some tracks...but nothing with in 5 or 6 road miles of the lookout.
Looks like a couple guys came up from Blanchard...and went back down when the got to the gate.

WingNutRacing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2000
Lolo, MT
The Five

Man, I bet those bowls are just flat spookey right now, if they even have any snow left hangin. Can you say "HANGFIRE"?

M

mod03rmk800

Nov 26, 2007
missoula
From the granite side of lolo looking towards the westbowls, westmont pointed out an area that the whole mountain slid even through the trees.:eek:
My guess is over 1/2 mile across. Wind loaded side also.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
gold creek road

Good to hear you could get up Gold Creek Road on Sunday, hope some plowing and rain keep it passable. How far did you ride over by Belmont Peak ?
Snowing hard on Fri. and lots of snow coming high. Was East of Missoula for Sunny Sat and Sunday, not as much snow out in the Avon/Helmville country but already ahead of last Feb at my cabin.

1 2 09 dan waist deep hand on sled.JPG 1 2 09 sho fly trail snow in trees good.JPG 1 1 09 dan ski up trun in pwdr.JPG

Premium Features