• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rk tek 800 ho drop in kit

Anyone running this in their '06 summit x?
How is it working?
Jetting? Needle clip position? Stock pilot jet? Altitude? Race fuel?
I ride renshaw, valemount area.
This step is new territory for me. I appreciate any feedback.
Thanks

R
Nov 26, 2007
East Chester Idaho
Anyone running this in their '06 summit x?
How is it working?
Jetting? Needle clip position? Stock pilot jet? Altitude? Race fuel?
I ride renshaw, valemount area.
This step is new territory for me. I appreciate any feedback.
Thanks

I love mine in my 06 but I can't remember what I ended up with as far as jetting. I ride at 7-10k I remember not being able to lean it out as much as was recommended. I run some Torco race fuel concentrate through mine and it seems to work. I'm right on the edge of lean so on a really cold crisp morning I run my carb heat to fatten it up a little usually just until we get up in altitude or it warms up.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Helena, MT
Go onto Dootalk.com and do some searching, lots of threads about it and on here also but the search function sucks on here.

Now you know Kelsey has 2 kits, the drop-in pistons which needs matching domes and mpem recurve or the replacement pistons which don't need the domes but also don't get as much performance out of them.

Personally I would save up your money and opt for a Big Bore

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Now you know Kelsey has 2 kits, the drop-in pistons which needs matching domes and mpem recurve or the replacement pistons which don't need the domes but also don't get as much performance out of them.

The pistons are identical. You only get more performance out of the ones with the domes because you are adding more compression.

Here are Kelsey's instruction for this kits:
http://www.2strokeheads.com/info/734-827-DOO-kit-installation2009.doc

Found here:
http://www.2strokeheads.com/howto.htm

W
Dec 15, 2008
Bend, OR
:beer;I did a drop in on my 06 didn't see much differance other then when you were making several hard climbs I didn't get the power fade as bad.:) I have an 07 800R had the crank trued and the 860BB done I would save your money and go all the way:D The Drop in is good if you just want to freshen up that top end, or you have an 05 and your rings are flaking.

D
Oct 22, 2008
I bought the RKT kit with the new heads, cooling cover, drop in pistons, and the cylinder porting for my 06 800. I just bought the setup this fall so I don't have any real miles on it yet. This is the setup I'm starting with on the carburetors.

Mains: 410 (440 stock) (Kelsey's recommendation for my setup)
Needles: Stock needles raised 0.030" over stock position (Dropped c-clip one notch with 0.020" shim)
Fuel screws: 1.75 turns out (stock 1.5 turns)
Pilot Jets: 17.5 (stock)

I've just cruised around locally taking it easy. It idles really good but it is rich (diesels a bit) around 5k rpms. Seems to clear up a bit around 6k rpms. I going to adjust the fuel screws back to 1.5 turns out and see if that cleans things up a bit.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
The RKT stuff works as advertised. Have about 4 rides on my 860 kit and it rocks. I know the 840 kit is very similar.

M
Nov 26, 2007
Utah
Put one on the my buddies sled end of last year. We never really got it jetted or clutched right for the last couple rides but when it did hit 8200 and didn't bog it was a beast, it beat my xp. We rejetted leaner (recommended by kelsey) over the summer and put on a dynamoe Joe Clutch Kit, i have a feeling my xp is screwed

S
Nov 26, 2007
Helena, MT
Premium Features