• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Long track z120 build

richardderkevorkian

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2010
Soldotna AK
Thought I'd share my kiddos build

Z120 with a zr 200 track and rec motors wide front end.

Attachments

• 20181003_140751.jpg
    20181003_140751.jpg
    456.6 KB · Views: 652
  • 20181003_140821.jpg
    20181003_140821.jpg
    452.4 KB · Views: 544

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
Saw this on FB. I priced it all out in CND funds and we are looking around $700 plus taxes. Just don’t go asking what a complete skid is worth. Hint; it’s almost what an entire 200 is worth. Lol
What are you doing for power? I have a stock engine with gearing and a velocity stack. Figure that extra track is gonna need some HP. What do you figure?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

richardderkevorkian

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2010
Soldotna AK
Saw this on FB. I priced it all out in CND funds and we are looking around $700 plus taxes. Just don’t go asking what a complete skid is worth. Hint; it’s almost what an entire 200 is worth. Lol
What are you doing for power? I have a stock engine with gearing and a velocity stack. Figure that extra track is gonna need some HP. What do you figure?

my motor has to go fast kit from rec motors and an upgraded clutch. i plan on gearing down a tooth or two and seeing what happens. ill eventually put a bigger motor in it as he gets bigger

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
Why?

So you'll probably see this as a dumb question, but so be it. Why would you go to all the hassle? Why not just buy a zr200?

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
So you'll probably see this as a dumb question, but so be it. Why would you go to all the hassle? Why not just buy a zr200?

For the price that he did the conversion for, why wouldn’t you do it? I priced it out in Canucky dollars and with my discount I’m at $700 to longtrack my 120. Already got a shock in the rear. That’s way better than 6’s for a 200.

T
Oct 28, 2018
Doing this also, have the track, rails, hifax. I run track drivers from recmotors currently, I’m seeing if those will work. Still need the extension, seeing if my rear axle will work also. Few weeks it will be done, gotta finish all the race sleds first.

B
Feb 19, 2008
Summit co.CO
For those of you that got the performance kit from Rec Motorsport, did it make a big difference in performance/ top speed?
I just got my son a 2015 arctic cat 120 and am looking at improving it a little, possibly adding the Rec Motors longtrack complete kit, and adding their adjustable front shocks.
My son only weighs 28Lbs so I’m hoping that the stock motor will have enough power to turn the longer track.

Thanks for any input!
I’m a big fan of these mini mountain sleds!

richardderkevorkian

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2010
Soldotna AK
For those of you that got the performance kit from Rec Motorsport, did it make a big difference in performance/ top speed?
I just got my son a 2015 arctic cat 120 and am looking at improving it a little, possibly adding the Rec Motors longtrack complete kit, and adding their adjustable front shocks.
My son only weighs 28Lbs so I’m hoping that the stock motor will have enough power to turn the longer track.

Thanks for any input!

i would just buy long track parts from cat its significantly cheaper than the rec motors "kit".

You will need a ZR200 Track, rails, and tunnel extension.

then a 2018/19 Z120 driveshaft or drivers.
I dropped the rear skid out on mine to make it a bit more deep snow capable and geared it really low.

you could leave it stock height and the front arm will bolt right up with no mods.

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com

Thanks for any input!

We did the Aggressor Kit for my kids. Gained a good amount on top end. Then I re-geared and made a big difference from bottom to top. Pretty happy with it. I wasn’t ready to get an exhaust. I hate how loud they make them.

S
May 3, 2018
I think your sled looks great. I'm thinking of doing a similar build but have a few questions.

My kid's sled is a Polaris 120. I've got a 208cc clone motor for it that will have a stage 1 kit (10+ hp). I understand the rail spacing on the Polaris is about 1/2" narrower than the Cat, but that's not a major issue, it should be easy enough to modify.

What parts did you need to get for your ZR120 mod? Did you use the ZR200 rails or another Cat rail? I've read somewhere about using an early '90s EXT rail for a 120 long track, but that was a 98" track, not a '93" so I'm not sure those rails would work.

Thoughts or advice welcome.

Stew

richardderkevorkian

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2010
Soldotna AK
I think your sled looks great. I'm thinking of doing a similar build but have a few questions.

My kid's sled is a Polaris 120. I've got a 208cc clone motor for it that will have a stage 1 kit (10+ hp). I understand the rail spacing on the Polaris is about 1/2" narrower than the Cat, but that's not a major issue, it should be easy enough to modify.

What parts did you need to get for your ZR120 mod? Did you use the ZR200 rails or another Cat rail? I've read somewhere about using an early '90s EXT rail for a 120 long track, but that was a 98" track, not a '93" so I'm not sure those rails would work.

Thoughts or advice welcome.

Stew

Definitely use the zr200 rails they are cheap and easy. I tried to use ext rails to start and couldn't get the front profile right. They are too flat in the front. My kiddo is only 14 months old so we ride it 2 up right now and it works great. It had 3.5 ratio gearing and I geared down to a 4.0 ratio.

S
May 3, 2018
That's great news, I'll start shopping for them.

What rear spring/shock setup are you using? I'm considering one from Rec Motorsports, but I see everyone tries something different.

My kids are 5 and 7 and have been riding on the back of my RMK and Elan for years. The Elan is still a bit big for them but they want to ride in deep snow so I need a longer track.

S
May 3, 2018
Richard,

I also have a question about drivers. Did you use stock ZR120 drivers? I'm wondering about ratcheting, I know many 120 sleds seem to suffer from this with these little drivers.

I wondered about getting a ZR200 drive shaft and driver and then getting my cousin (machinist) to turn down the ends to fit the 120 bearings (if they didn't already).

Thoughts?

richardderkevorkian

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2010
Soldotna AK
Richard,

I also have a question about drivers. Did you use stock ZR120 drivers? I'm wondering about ratcheting, I know many 120 sleds seem to suffer from this with these little drivers.

I wondered about getting a ZR200 drive shaft and driver and then getting my cousin (machinist) to turn down the ends to fit the 120 bearings (if they didn't already).

Thoughts?

They changed the pitch on the 2018 Zr120 to match the 200's and they come with 4 tooth center drive extroverts. i used the 2018 ZR120 driveshaft and it works well.

for a rear shock i used a front skid frame shock i had laying around out of a full size sled and just build shafts and spacers. its fine for us riding 2 up. i will eventually buy an air shock out of a 2016 limited cat front arm and use that for more adjust ability.

T
Mar 13, 2019
Richard,

Thoughts?

What did you end up doing for this? I am thinking hard about a long track kit on our polaris 120s using the ZR200 track. I havn't pulled the shaft yet to see what the profile is. I have a ton of old rails so will prob modify a set to work

Kids love the sleds. Upgrading to clone 206cc engines with stage 2 kits and honda carbs and Al flywheels...

IMG_5648 by Brad Taylor, on Flickr

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
Can’t wait to start mine!

aa42fe658bc8bfbc954ade94f302d1d8.jpg

d7d1eb94dc3b06cf1cc757fe43d3a812.jpg

2e8ad5ce5ee9027d5c22d1a1f499d032.jpg

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
What did you do to drop it down? I’m worried about the already steep attack angle. Did you go down and back?
I’m playing with geometry right now to see if I can find a balance of decent attack angle and decent ride plus more ride height.

13c284597a24fb78324e48f11a35b07d.jpg

Premium Features