• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Is there such a thing as a fog free goggle??

Hotboat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls, MT.
We've been in powder all year and the fogging thing is really getting old. I almost totaled my sled cause I could'nt see SH!T!!!! :mad: I've got the newest Scott goggle and after a few over the hood powder plunges they fog and the he!! begins. One of my riding partners has the type made for glasses and they seem to do better. I don't care how much they would cost I just need to see.

R
Dec 2, 2007
Bought several different types year after year boarding, skiing and sledding....and still cannot find the perfect lens that does not fog.

I will tell you that clear outperform any color once they start to fog...as more light gets through.

Crowbar Oakley has a different type of foam that tends to shed water and snow and stay clearer longer than most. Fog sprays and wipes tend to smear up the lens once any snow is on there too...

I take 2 pair of gloves...and 3 pair of goggles now on most rides...and keep them in a waterproof pack.

Once the foam is saturated around the outside of the lens it creates fog no matter what.

Put the fogged up pair under the sled hood to dry out...or put on a dry spare pair.

Make a fog free pair...and I got thousands sold for ya!!

S
Nov 28, 2007
Alberta
No such thing as fog free goggles. after 5min of hard breathing at high altitude the goggles are fogged up... but i always seem to be sledding when its warm out so my goggles dont see 2 much daylight

N

NITROSKIDUDE

Dec 12, 2003
SPOKANE WA.
I have noticed that it isn't the deep powder that gets them fogged up but the fqact i start to sweat under the helmet.
Not i have found that even on warm days If i wear my bakliva it seems to absorb the sweat, and helps keep the goggles from fogging up.

Plus everytime I get stuck Or stop to help a buddy get un stuck, I take me helmet off and turn it up not t get any snow in it, and lay it in the snow, Due to the fact that steam comes out of your dash area, on any sled, and that will steam ya up faster than anything.

Plus it really helps to have a real good and the bigger the better Breth gard in your helmet!!!!

With all of these things I have also found that I have the least of fogging problems with most of the guys I ride with, and I think I aweat the mostof all of them.

It doesn't matter on brand so much I have hem all in different colors, and each color serves there purpose.

Just my .15 cents worth.

B

badass1000

Nov 27, 2007
Meridian, ID
I have a pair of the scott 89xi's I believe they are. With the rose colored lense. (The auto tint lense did not work worth a crap. Always dark tint even when it was really flat light.) They do not fog up very often. I have the breath deflector on it. It is also really nice because it keeps all the snow out of my nose and face. Protects from wind too. If we stop for awhile or if I help dig some one out put them under the hood to dry out. If you are working hard diging some one out and leave them on. Chances are they will fog.
I have a pair of blue tinted smiths for spares in my back pack. I do not wear them very often.

H
Jan 11, 2004
I have a pair of the scott 89xi's I believe they are. With the rose colored lense. (The auto tint lense did not work worth a crap. Always dark tint even when it was really flat light.) They do not fog up very often. I have the breath deflector on it. It is also really nice because it keeps all the snow out of my nose and face. Protects from wind too. If we stop for awhile or if I help dig some one out put them under the hood to dry out. If you are working hard diging some one out and leave them on. Chances are they will fog.

I had a pair of the Oakleys and they worked great until they were stolen. So I bought a pair of the 89xi turbos and they are awesome. I agree with the statement above...they only fog up if you spend alot of time digging someone out. So far I love them!

As a side note the worst thing is when a pair of goggles fog up on the inside and you take them off and it freezes:mad:. That's when you stop and put them on top of the motor for 10 minutes while the rest of you freezes up!

W

Wyoming T/A

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Sep 26, 2006
Powell,Wyoming
i bought a set of scott Xi and they have not fogged 1 time this winter--also bought a set of 509's and tried them which are good but dont seal around the face as good as the Xi's--i use to carry 4 pr when it was deep --and we doo ride the deep
1-19-08013.jpg

1-19-08015.jpg

kiteOregon

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Spy Blizzard, now i think they are Spy Targa II, Never FOG! I have 2 frames at all times and a collection of lenses. MX Helmet.

R

rhino

Nov 26, 2007
Greenwater WA
I have used Smith goggles for years for skiing and sleddin'. The more you pay the better the quality so buy their top of the line goggle, you're not just paying for "bling". Make sure you buy the ones specifically for skiing/snow sports.(double lense) If you buy the ones with the regulators/ vents make sure you keep them closed on powder days. Smith also makes a goggle with a fan to keep the fog out. Never tried that one but have always wanted to. It just may be the trick. However, once a lense does goes bad..throw it away. You can purchase replacement lenses. Taking care of you goggles is another big deal. Keep them in a hard case or be sure not to crush or bend them. It breakes the seal between the lenses and they will fail. Try and avoid wiping the inside of the goggles. There is a protective anti fog film and it can be rubbed off. I usually can get a whole season on one lense. One more trick is to be sure the goggle fits tight against your face with no air leaks. I feel your pain and put up with fogged goggle for a long time until I finally figured it out and I still always carry 2 back ups just in case. Good luck

Last edited:

Hotboat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls, MT.
i bought a set of scott Xi and they have not fogged 1 time this winter--also bought a set of 509's and tried them which are good but dont seal around the face as good as the Xi's--i use to carry 4 pr when it was deep --and we doo ride the deep
1-19-08013.jpg

1-19-08015.jpg
Thanks TA, I'll give'em a try.......

P

Powderboy

Nov 1, 2001
Renton, WA
Quit resisting the force Luke.
It's modular time.

No kidding. I've tryed it all and nothing beats a modular for fogging. I find it amazing how powerful group thinking is. Somebody on Snowest decided modular helmets looked stupid and then suddenly over the years nobody would be caught dead in one. I'm not saying you can't make goggles work, but it just cracks me up that most rides I go on the "cool guys' with their motorcross helmets and goggles are struggling to see.

Modular helmet wearer here. I'm sure that Scott guy will be here any minute with his presentation. Tear it up.

D
Dec 18, 2007
yuba city
your awfully sensitive about that mod helmet there turbo, heck noone even attacked you. Not even the cool guys. but I am glad you are happy with your mod. I would have to second the multiple pair thing, I wear spy's and they work good but some days ya gotta have more than one pair!:)

P

Powderboy

Nov 1, 2001
Renton, WA
your awfully sensitive about that mod helmet there turbo, heck noone even attacked you. Not even the cool guys. but I am glad you are happy with your mod. I would have to second the multiple pair thing, I wear spy's and they work good but some days ya gotta have more than one pair!:)

Ya buddy. Whatever you think. I'll return the thread back to the google conversation already in progress. I"m the mighty Powderboy and for you kids following along at home don't be alarmed, I'm not being attacked.

H
Nov 26, 2001
Renton
NFMH---LMAO;)

Just got a set of 509's--really like the optics--we will see how they do on fogging this weekend? Will report on sunday.

Modular---The work. :eek:

H20SKE...

Premium Features