• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

First time to the Big Horns

I am going to the Big Horns for the first time at the end of Feb. I made reservations at the Passage Resort which is in Burgess Junction. Is it a nice place? They had great rates as said it was under new management. I was looking for information on good places to ride. I received maps in the mail and unsure how far you could get in a day. I was thinking a couple days off trail and a couple days seeing different parts of the Big Horns. Are you able to get down to Deer Haven Lodge or further in a day? What are the best/awesome on and off trail areas? I own an 08 Renegade, will that we okay or should we rent mountain sleds? It is necessary to redo the cluth b/c of elevation? I think I might want to invest in a shovel as well. Any help would the area would be great. Even information on where to get a great dinner. :)

Last edited:
L
Mar 26, 2008
If the Passage is under new management that is a good thing!!! It is a great resort just wasn't managed as good as it could be, but its a really nice place. The food is good as well, Bear Lodge has good food also.

Best off trail riding areas are all over, just get a free map at the bar and go from there. You will have fun not matter what!! You should always re clutch and a shovel always helps.

How long of track do you have on your renegade?? Renting a sleds is nice but cost a little more then most people like, and you have to be careful on them.

V

vector boy

Jan 5, 2008
Norfolk, NE
what days are you going?
a group of us are heading up the weekend of the 14 and staying at the passage. maybe we should hook up and ride if your going the same weekend?

Feb 18-22..You still going to be around. We would love to meet up with other groups!!!! Its a 137 inch 1.25 ripsaw track w/ studs. By the time you spend $ to reclutch it and then back...should we just rent? Yes i saw rentals are like 200 per day. yikes!

Last edited:

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
Hey guys....
This is Betty Jo from The Passage, if you check out our Boondocker special on the website you will see that is really isnt so spendy to rent a sled up here.....Just call us and talk or check out the website...you may be surprised!

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
Just a quick after thought....I am a chubby old lady and up until this year all I ever rode was a 600 with a 136 on it....and my husband is a guide. It is a bunch of crap when people say you need a long track out here....you may have to make a couple of runs at some hills if there is a bunch of new snow on them but for the most part you will be just fine. And to add to that I am a flatlander from by Jamestown.......its all what you make of it.

D
Jan 9, 2008
Ramona,SD
You do want to set your clutch up for the elevation. Clutch weights are cheaper then renting. Your sled will get you around fairly well, just wont be able to do any high marking. I used to ride a 121 track and still had a blast.

V

vector boy

Jan 5, 2008
Norfolk, NE
Feb 18-22..You still going to be around. We would love to meet up with other groups!!!! Its a 137 inch 1.25 ripsaw track w/ studs. By the time you spend $ to reclutch it and then back...should we just rent? Yes i saw rentals are like 200 per day. yikes!

ill have to check with my dad to make sure we'll be there the 18 and if we are we should hook up and ride a day or 2.
the guy leading our group knows that place really good.
my self ive never been up there but should be a great time and i hope its worth the 12+ hour drive.

diggler

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Kalispell, MT
ill have to check with my dad to make sure we'll be there the 18 and if we are we should hook up and ride a day or 2.
the guy leading our group knows that place really good.
my self ive never been up there but should be a great time and i hope its worth the 12+ hour drive.

i would think that mid feb. it will be real good, but you never know.

Premium Features