• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

lights keep blowing

S

sledgreg

Aug 27, 2008
Chilliwack
www.sleddicted.com
hey there i have a 2003 550f skidoo summit (Just bought used) and noticed the head lights and taillights were out so i bought two new bulbs for the front and one for the taill light... put them in, and they were fine when at iddle but when applying any throttle one headlight bulb shattered, and then more throttle popped the other., and then the brake light popped.

im assuming a voltage issue?

any ideas
thanks

P
Nov 30, 2007
Utah
www.myspace.com
My ultra was eats bulbs on occasion. I usually track it down to 3 things. 1. bad ground on the voltage regulator. 2. Bad voltage regulator. 3. Short to ground that cooks the voltage regulator. Places where I have found shorts. Wires that run under the seat. Too tight of wire ties on wires on the handle bars or steering post. Look for shorts before you throw voltage regulators at the problem. In my experience a short is what takes out the regulator.

Karl

W
Nov 2, 2001
Boise, Id
Voltage regulator. The stator will produce a certain amount of energy at a certain RPM. The energy either has to be used, or thrown away. (voltage regulator is the trash can) If the excess isn't thrown away, the stator has no choice but to increase the voltage until the excess energy is used. In this case, by the light bulbs, tell they overheat and burst.

The voltage regulator works by throwing away the excess voltage, anytime the voltage is above 13 volts or so. That way, it sets a maximum voltage limit.

Several things can damage them. Bad connection is the primary reason. Or, the lightbulbs, heaters, or something were removed, causing the voltage regulator to throw away a lot more energy than it was designed to do. In that case the voltage regulator overheats and blows out.

Premium Features