• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'07 Big Time Bog

R

rob80168

Dec 28, 2009
Western Wyoming
'07 800R Summit; SLP intake, SLP can, 3450 miles (has not been rebuilt) Milled head, all stock after that (including airbox). Riding @ 8,500 - 10,000 ft. Problem just started with this last ride, first time any issues with anything at all (4th season). I noticed a long warm up time needed for sled to stay running to put in reverse to get off trailer. A couple turns around the parking lot and it seemed to stay loaded up even after warming up. New plugs. Going down the trail @ 6,000 - 6,500 rpm , grab a handfull of throttle and a bog that was never there before. This happened all of the ride (25 miles). Some of the bogs were so bad that I almost went over the hood. Checked airbox to see if it had come off. Checked OK. Once it gets past the bog it has no problems getting to 8,200 - 8,300 rpm but then I had another issue there. Clamped throttle on a climb, running @ 8,000+ and it started to cut out, not like the low end bog. Looked @ new plugs back in parking lot and they were fine. The machine has always been a bit of a smoker @ lower rpm and oil use was a little more than other 800R's that I ride with but not overly. Fuel mileage has been fine. Everyone on our crew gets the fuel in the same place and I make a point to put isopropyl in every other fuel up (1/2 bottle). I will pull off the RAVE caps sometime in the next couple of days to see if they are gummed up but I doubt that is the problem. Before I decide to jet down and turn down the oiler I could use some input. The snow just got really good in NW Colorado and I don't want to miss any of it. Thanks

B

bikerjustin

Apr 14, 2008
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
I could care less if you buy a premium membership

Check your compression; The engine dying when going into reverse is a tell tale sign of low compression- I have read. Especially with that many miles, Whoa.

B

bikerjustin

Apr 14, 2008
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
I don't know- equal to within 10% of each other. 135 to 175psi depending on wet or dry and elevation. If they are less than 100psi they are too low. Check it. Tell us what you get. It only takes 5 minutes or so. Do it with the engine cold. do it with the engine hot.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Pull the caps off the exhaust valves and check for function.....they should suck in when you start the sled and pop out when you rev it up....then pop out all the way when you get on it hard.
Being a '07 I am always suspect of crank runout, check that. Should be less than .003". If it's up over .006" there's your problem.

Dynamo^Joe

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thunder Bay, ont
www.iBackshift.com
*Going down the trail @ 6,000 - 6,500 rpm , grab a handfull of throttle and a bog that was never there before.
*Clamped throttle on a climb, running @ 8,000+ and it started to cut out, not like the low end bog.

I have seen this over the years.
If you are full throttle and bog but let off to 4/5 throttle and 8200, then it could be the throttle position sensor has failed.
Have the dealer hook up to buds and get them to cycle all the sensors, it could be the tps.

Premium Features