• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Diamond drive oil - anything special or synthetic gear oil do the trick?

S
Saturday night question: Buddy is in the process of swapping his track, forgot to grab oil for the diamond drive. Before we open'er up wondering if synthetic 75/90 gear oil would be a decent substitute. Even temporary as just want to ride tomorrow but now would be the time to put some fresh oil in it and inspect it while it's on the bench.

Thanks.

waycooljr

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2010
Sidney, MT
If you had an O'Riley's / Checker, Napa, etc. auto parts store open, grab some Amsoil series 2000 chaincase oil. Its 100% synthetic, works great in my opinion. Close to 600 miles and have seen no problems.

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
It smells like gear oil to me, but its definitely thinner

I would say 5w30 manual tranny fluid (like GM Synchromesh) would be closer.

I use the Cat oil myself, but if I wanted to ride I would probably consider other options for one day.

J

jdm1985

May 13, 2009
Ambrose ND
I have used sythetic 50 wt truck transmission oil and had absolutely no problem. i know it sounds crazy but we are running gear to gear here and as long as it flows i dont think a little heavier fluid hurts anything. JMO

S
Feb 21, 2009
dd oil

I use napa hydrolic oil/ transmission it is the same stuff antifoam and rated for big equipment. Its only 10 bucks a gallon..

waycooljr

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2010
Sidney, MT
After 3pm, you ain't going to find any kind of parts store open in this town on a saturday! And ain't nuthin' open on sunday's either.

I feel your pain!!! Same where I am at!!! You break on the weekend, your skrewdd for the weekend!!!!:face-icon-small-dis

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Petro-Can 75-90 Syngear. Good for 1/2million k's in big rigs.

7 diamond drives, over 20,000miles. Never a failure, not even a bearing. Haven't even flushed. Always take the first mile or two easy to warm up the engine, track, belt, etc.

Drain and install at 200 miles and again at 2000 miles just cause there is always a 20 litre pail around the shop.

Heard it's too heavy, heard about special additives, heard about hp loss, heard just about everything, like two -stroke oils. But, it's worked for me.

Premium Features