• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2015's worth it?

MidwestBoondocker

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 25, 2011
SW MN
Been noticing a few 2015 sno pros around my area for around 7-7500 brand new full warranty. Is it worth it? Would be putting a skinz helium hood on for sure. Would it be close to handling as the new doos and poos?

Just looking for some advice. Seems like a hard deal to pass up even if its not as close to the other newer ones.

Yaeger34

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2015
St cloud mn
Id say it depends what you are coming off and used to. I would say they are no where comparable to an axys or doo for handling. Its all relative to what your real goal is out of a sled. Save $2000 and have a reliable sled for years to come or spend the $2000 extra and have a sled you will like more for years to come and not be on the 15 wishing you had an axys or something. Again I personally wouldn't do it imo

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I would definitely take that extra 2k or so that the helium kit costs and just buy a nice low mile 16LE or better yet Mountain Cat. The upgrades would for sure be worth the extra money IMO.

Better shock package, clutches, and track. 3 of the most important components on a sled right there, not to mention smaller things like skid improvements and seat. And of course the mountain cat has the drop and roll and narrowed boards.

Last edited:

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I agree with Yaeger. Is it a bad sled by any means? No. Is it as good as same model year Doo's, I'd say yes. Same model year Polaris stock for stock will feel a little lighter. Is it great compared to the 2017 and 2018 sleds, not exactly. Just depends on what you expect to do with the sled and what your skill level is. A little more open terrain it with an average rider it's just fine. If you want to be Chris Burandt in the trees it's going to take some work.

Update the bodywork: $1200-$2200 depending on what you do.
New geometry Cat front end: $450-$800 depending on ski stance, shock spacers, etc.
Running boards: Up to $500
Update the skid: $500-$1000 if you can find a new takeoff
New 3" track: $1000

So right there you're over $11000 on the cheap side if you get the sled for $7500 to bring it up to snuff with the current offerings in terms of performance. Assuming you like modding and your time is free.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
i doubt youd have much warranty left after all the upgrades but if you gonna build a full mod sled why not. it should hang just fine with a belt drive and 8 tooths and an upgraded front end. worth it only if you like working on sleds in a nicely equipped shop imo.
the latest SW vid of the project cat looks like a win.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYCls15Pd0c

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
Man if saving money is what you are all about then go for it. I buy leftovers and used sleds most of the time and I'm just as happy as the guys who pay full price for their sleds.. Maybe even happier haha. Nothing wrong with the 15 M. I have a 15 Viper right now and I love it. if you are into tree riding I recommend you put a new style front end on it and then go ride it and have fun with your extra $$

Not many guys I know can reap the benefits of the minor changes they make to sleds each year.. just do the front end and I'm sure you'll be riding up the *** of some guys on the 18s..

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
Skip the $2k hood. Throw the $400 38" new style front end on, $300 skinny running boards, and take a few minutes to pull the panels in some and it'll handle as good as any sled out there.

K

knifedge

Dec 20, 2009
Colorado
The upgraded new sleds primarily benefit deep mtn snow riding....If most your miles are midwest, then a 15 would be great..or maybe even better considering shorter lug height of track...

Suzzy-Q

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Mackenzie B.C. Canada
Skip the $2k hood. Throw the $400 38" new style front end on, $300 skinny running boards, and take a few minutes to pull the panels in some and it'll handle as good as any sled out there.

This guys got the idea, I'd put that 2k from the hood budget and put it into : pipe kit, belt drive, running boards, and 38" arms, pretty much what I did to my '12 and it's a good sled

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Helium hood isn't gonna gain you much in tech terrain on a 15 unless you have the 16 front end, or another aftermarket front end, increased steering, and narrowed boards/panels. I'm glad I cancelled my helium hood order last year after installing one on the shops sled. Intake design is horrible.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
Really don't make a difference. I ran the 38 inch kit with the old and new spindle.. not worth the change in my opinion. If you want a big difference just go with the 36 inch kit.. if not, leave it stock.

I thought just going to the new spindles made a huge difference on my 38" front end. Was way more predictable in steep technical sidehills.

In my mind, on a sled that is already known for its fat panels hitting the snow and "paneling out" going to a narrower front end is just going to make it worse without doing something with the panels. The only advantage I see to a 36" front end is making it more tippy when initiating a roll, but I see zero benefits out side of that.

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
I thought just going to the new spindles made a huge difference on my 38" front end. Was way more predictable in steep technical sidehills.

In my mind, on a sled that is already known for its fat panels hitting the snow and "paneling out" going to a narrower front end is just going to make it worse without doing something with the panels. The only advantage I see to a 36" front end is making it more tippy when initiating a roll, but I see zero benefits out side of that.

Yeah it was slightly noticeable no doubt, just not worth the money in my opinion.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
If you have the cash for the hood kit just buy a 16 limited and ride it. I always get a good chuckle out of the paneling out phrase. Since the newer sleds are all narrowed what will be the next "in" must do ;) My money is on shorter brake levers, the factory ones drag too much in the pow and slow me down :fish2:

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
You certainly can make a 2015 perform but, it will cost you. I have a 2015 and it works great now after a 2106 36" front end (may be too narrow?) 3" track, 8 tooth drivers with a dropped chain case and a belt drive, MDS clutch weights, SLP stage II, etc.

I went on a demo ride of the new 2018 M8000 and after jumping back and forth several time, I determined I liked my 2015 better. It was lighter, more nimble and the power plant on the 2018 felt very much like a four stoke.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
If you have the cash for the hood kit just buy a 16 limited and ride it. I always get a good chuckle out of the paneling out phrase. Since the newer sleds are all narrowed what will be the next "in" must do ;) My money is on shorter brake levers, the factory ones drag too much in the pow and slow me down :fish2:

I see your fishy guy there so I'll bite. As silly as the "paneling out" sounds, it must have some merit concidering that ALL of the brands have been working on narrowing up the boards and panels and only getting praised for the increased performance. Yet when it comes to the 36" front end 2 of the 3 have gone that route, but it's the 3rd that is still 38" that is concidered the best handling stock chassis and is the "mark" the other brands are trying to beat. I have a '14 cat with 38" stance narrowed boards and panels and seen first hand the improvements the narrower chassis has made, yet even with hearing all the praise of the 36" front end I still don't think it's necessary.

Fish on.

Premium Features